Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Chomp

Re: Any good vamp. books?

LordRuthven wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Man, this means I'm going to have to go seek out Rymer and le Fanu.

Dude. You have never read Sheridan Le Fanu? Wow. Grab a copy of "Carmilla" asap.

"Dracula" is derivative in spots, but Stoker's novel is justifiably seminal because he brought a lot of disparate traditions together and invested them with a primal urgency.

I agree with Derek. Stoker may have been picking up on a trend, but he was the one who turned the idea into a full-length novel. Dracula was not his only novel, either. 

For something a bit different, try Samuel Taylor Coleridge's poem "Christabel." While not overtly about a vampire, it can be interpreted that way.

Carol

So many books, so little time...
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

This new book has Stoker as the main character:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Dracula-Dossier/James-Reese/e/9780061233548/?itm=1&tabname=cust...

Carol

So many books, so little time...
Frequent Contributor
Vinternatt
0 Kudos

Porcelain wrote:

Although I haven't read these, you might like them.

Companions of the Night by Vivian Vande Velde.

The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause.

Keturah and Lord Death by Martin Leavitt.

Blue Bloods by Melissa Marr.

The Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith.

A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray. (I don't know if this is about Vampires)

Vampire High by Douglas Rees.

Message Edited by Porcelain on 08-16-2008 11:39 AM
Message Edited by Porcelain on 08-16-2008 11:39 AM

I've just finished A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray and can say for certain that it is not about vampires. It's a really good book though. I

t's about Gemma, who lives with her family in India until one day she runs from her mother in the market place, meets a mysterious boy, has a vision of her mother killing herself and finds her mother dead. Gemma is sent to England to a private school, where she experiences the normal gangs girls of 16-17 create. But at the same time she keeps getting visions. What starts as a game between girls becomes serious, digging up events that played out 20 or so years earlier when the school's east wing burned down. 

I couldn't put it down, and ended up staying up an hour later than planned yesterday, read standing on the bus (I could only change pages when the bus stopped) and read all through lunch and the ride home.

"Since when have fish been able to plan?" "Since they started sinking boats" - The Swarm
New User
wierdgamer
0 Kudos

I totally agree about the Cirqe Du Freak series.  I'd highly suggest it to anyone, but I'd warn them that the last book stunk. 

Another great vampire series would definately be Twilight.

:smileyhappy:

Reader
eugleenna
0 Kudos

I have to add my agreement for Twilight.  I'm reading that series now.  But I absolutely loved Rachel Caine's Morganville Vampire Series.  I'm ready for the next book now.  I do not want to wait another two months!  Has anyone read the Vampire Academy series?  I'm thinking of reading that one soon.
New User
Marlasoana
0 Kudos

Check out the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris! and if you like true crime check out  "The Embrace" by Aphrodite Jones :smileywink:
~*~Toujours Pur~*~
New User
mary_j
0 Kudos

i would sugguest the Anita Blake Series by Laurell K Hamilton, as of right now it is 16 books, and it deals with vampires, wereanimals, magic and so on, but it is a very good series and i couldnt put the books down. The 17th book is scheduled to come out in June 09

Also, i am about to start the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward and from the exerpts that i have read they are really good

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

(clearing throat)   HEY VAMPIRE BOOK LOVERS!

You've got a lot of friends waiting for you over in the paranormal thread.

Frequent Contributor
janalee40
0 Kudos

For recent vamp. books I would try the Twilight Saga or the Sookie Stackhouse series. I have personally read the Twilight Saga and enjoyed it very much. I have not ready the Sookie Stackhouse series yet, but it is on my wish list. I have heard good things.

Contributor
Robinyoda
0 Kudos

Sookie Stackhouse series is a definate must read along with The Black Dagger Brotherhood, Twilight Saga, and Vampire Acadamy.  If you get done with those you could switch to and of Kim Harrison's books or Kelly Armstrong both very good and dealing in witches, deamons, werewolves and others.  Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson books are also good, the main character is a shapechanger but includes vampires, werewolves and witches.
Frequent Contributor
Carley124
0 Kudos

The Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead.
Contributor
nano
0 Kudos

How about werewolves.  Lori Handeland has written a series about werewolves that are sexy and erotic too.  Read them in order.  It's her Night Creature Series:

Blue Moon

Hunter's Moon

Dark Moon

Crescent Moon

Midnight Moon

Rising Moon

Hidden Moon

Thunder Moon.

I'll try J.R. Ward.   Thank you.

Contributor
arria
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
One of my all time favorite vampire novels is Vampire of the Mists - Ravenloft by Christie Golden. There is a whole sieres of Ravenloft books and each is a different theme. This main character has stuck with me for years.
Message Edited by arria on 02-23-2009 10:51 PM
Contributor
Anthrogrl
0 Kudos

Of course, Bram Stocker's Dracula is a must-read.  It's told in the form of letters by the novel's various characters, which really pulls the reader into the story.

Stephen King's Salem's Lot is excellent.  A lot of people who are familiar with King mistake his work for graphic horror, when most of it is actually psychological and deals with the question of human evil.  Salem's Lot takes this plot and uses the vampires (which actually dont' appear a lot in the story until the very end) as a manifestation of human evil.

What I like most about King's work is that it's realistic, and Salem's Lot did scare the heck out of me.

Wordsmith
Sarah3973

[ Edited ]

The Sookie Stackhouse books are such fun to read! I've read the first 7 in three weeks...literally cannot put them down!  You've also got to check out the short stories in Wolfsbane and Mistletoe and Many Bloody returns....they're about the "sookieverse" :smileyhappy:

I also loved Salem's Lot, another one of the suggestions above.  And I am planning on checking out the Anita Blake books when I'm caught up with the Sookie books.

I am also interested in learning about some other good vampire books, so this is a fantastic thread!  Great suggestions!  THANKS!

Message Edited by Sarah3973 on 06-30-2009 04:51 PM
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1

Sarah,

While i'm not really into the vamp thing much, I'll agree Salem's Lot was one of my more favorite Stephen King books. Now over on the BN Urban/Paranormal boards you'll find flat out EXPERTS for vamp books and series. That board also has some excellent authors that post regularly AND reply back to questions. Folks are real nice over there too. We're nice here too and happy you came by!

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Frequent Contributor
Fabian1985
0 Kudos

Quick question... Has anyone read a vampire novel where the main character was not a vampire but instead one's slave... then later on became a vampire himself? I would like to read a book that is set from that point of view and follows the character through the changes he's going through. Am I the only one?
Reader 4
shadowsleeper

the house of night series by P.C. Cast is the closest thing i can think of to what you are looking for.  I't about a young girl who gets marked to become a vampire and is taken into a school for vampire's where she learns about being one and starts her transformation into a vampire.  It's pretty good so far i'm starting the second book in the series in about a week after i finish reading the wizard heir by Cinda Chima.
Frequent Contributor
Fabian1985
0 Kudos

Thanks. I appreciate that a bunch.
New User
Emochic22
0 Kudos

could u tell meh if i should get the 1st book of the house of night series? i saw it the other day i was like is it worth while? do you think its a good book? :smileytongue: