Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Rick_BN
0 Kudos

Any recommendations for good Nook SF ?

[ Edited ]

I'm looking for recommendations for some good Nook SF. I want fast paced and heavy on the science.

I'm reading The Dig by Siemsen right now. It's pretty good but it's a bit slow in the middle with lots of scenery description and personal relationship focus. I don't like that in my SF reads. I want hardcore science to be the focus.

Politics, religion, relationships, detailed character conversations about non-science should all be kept to a minimum. For example, I don't want five pages describing what a person is wearing. Or ten pages of conversation about whether or not two of the scientists are involved in a physical relationship.

Any suggestions?

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Re: Any recommendations for good Nook SF ?

For solid hard science fiction, you can't do better than Stephen Baxter or Alistair Reynolds.

Contributor
Rick_BN
0 Kudos

Thx.

Spelling "Alastair Reynolds"

Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

I'm trying to get together a SF/fantasy serial on pubit- but I do have a "classic-y" approach to it- it has all those elements that you just mentioned that you hate in a sci-fi. But I use the sci-fi as part of the mystery. So, in my serial, the technology of a new high-tech building in silicon valley remains a mystery until the very end. And the effects of the manufactured miracle cure remain a mystery until the end of the whole trilogy. Anyway, if I can get the first five chapters the way I want them, it's yours for only a dollar- and then I have to follow a strict production schedule- five chapters every two months for the next maybe 8 months? But sci-fi without character is something I am trying to avoid- it's definitely not that easy.
Contributor
Rick_BN
0 Kudos

I don't hate those things. I just don't want them in my Sci-Fi books. They are good for mystery or thriller books.

Contributor
Rick_BN
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I hope you're wrong about not being able to do any better. I've read the samples from 4 books, 2 by each author, and they all spent the whole time describing the size and shape of the character and how the character feels and what color eyes they have, etc. Not for me.

Those books appear to be great at painting a detailed picture of the surrounding environment but I don't want to read that stuff. I just want a general description of anything not germain to the science.

To me the characters are incidentals the Sci-Fi is the important part. If the book is about time travel I don't care that the character who travels in time is skinny or like cheerios for breakfast. I want to read about the scientist creating the time machine, the difficulties of creating the machine, the science behind time travel, etc.

Well this forum doesn't thread conversations so I have to mention that his post is in response to the Alastir and Baxter post.

Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

Rick_BN wrote:

I hope you're wrong about not being able to do any better. I've read the samples from 4 books, 2 by each author, and they all spent the whole time describing the size and shape of the character and how the character feels and what color eyes they have, etc. Not for me.

Those books appear to be great at painting a detailed picture of the surrounding environment but I don't want to read that stuff. I just want a general description of anything not germain to the science.

To me the characters are incidentals the Sci-Fi is the important part. If the book is about time travel I don't care that the character who travels in time is skinny or like cheerios for breakfast. I want to read about the scientist creating the time machine, the difficulties of creating the machine, the science behind time travel, etc.

Well this forum doesn't thread conversations so I have to mention that his post is in response to the Alastir and Baxter post.

As a matter of fact, character description, although necessary, is often something I feel like ommitting. But if there is no physical description of a character, you run the rsik of having "flat" characters, which can detract from your whole experience. And too much description, or decription at the wrong time, can make the story sound awkward- so it's finding a right balance.

Sci-Fi is also tricky and interesting- if the science is not "detailed" like you describe, the whole novel is "not enough" for hard-core science fiction fans. And obviously too much description of the "science-to-be" is not logical and leaves the reader wondering why the writer wasn't a scientist or an inventor, inventing some of things in his novel- that's not to say that it hasn't happened and that it isn't desirable effect to leave the reader wondering why the writer chose to be a writer of science fiction and not an inventor, however. The submarine is a good example of an invention which Jules Verne wrote about, just when it was a spark in the human imagination- it's finding that spark to write about and Jules Verne is a great.

All kinds of interesting and challengiing aspects to sci-fi, though- which is why I chose sci-fi... I find it also to a better genre to write about the human condition as well.

Chad

Correspondent
susgod
0 Kudos

Google "baen thefifthimperium". You can download a variety of different kinds of SF (DRM free) for the Nook from that site. Some are humerous and light, others military SF, others are heavy on science, real hardcore. These free books are available by permission of the publisher. You can even try the different books on-line to determine the ones you want to download.

Frequent Contributor
WONK
0 Kudos

Try my Eyes Trilogy. --  Book 1 Eyes of an Eagle made it on the International Space Station in the NASA rec library.  It also made two small national bestseller lists.  Book 2 Eyes of a Cat and Book 3 Eyes of a Seeker came out in August and September.

Hard science and classic space opera/adventrue are combined in the series.  The series covers the creation of artificial gravity and creating an interstellar drive from it, using topology, Chaos math, complex system physics...  It then goes to space travel and uses modern biology to flesh out alien life.  It finishes with a classic journey into a nebula.  The story is backed up with references to epic mythical poems (mostly the Kalevala) in a similar style to Hamilton or if you don't remember his books the classic Star Trek mythology story about the Greek Gods that he wrote for the original TV series.

Runo singer and curmudgeon
Sirvio's Keep
www.paulbunyan.net/users/gsirvio
Keep's Books and Tales
www.paulbunyan.net/users/gsirvio/content.html
Book reviews
www.paulbunyan.net/users/gsirvio/reviews.html
Gorden's bookshelf
www.midwestbookreview.com
Taconite Runes
http://TaconiteRunes.com
Pulp Writing
http://forums.delphiforums.com/pulpwriting/messages
Frequent Contributor
infael
0 Kudos

The Coyote books by Allen Steel

I, Robot by Asimov

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

City of Bones  

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

http://m.omaha.com/om/db_94853/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=sIo7MgPE&detailindex=2&pn=0&ps=3 In my local newspaper today was a blurb that agreement has been reacherd with heirs and Arthur Clarkes books will soon be released as e books in the US.
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

Rick_BN wrote:

I'm looking for recommendations for some good Nook SF. I want fast paced and heavy on the science.

I'm reading The Dig by Siemsen right now. It's pretty good but it's a bit slow in the middle with lots of scenery description and personal relationship focus. I don't like that in my SF reads. I want hardcore science to be the focus.

Politics, religion, relationships, detailed character conversations about non-science should all be kept to a minimum. For example, I don't want five pages describing what a person is wearing. Or ten pages of conversation about whether or not two of the scientists are involved in a physical relationship.

Any suggestions?

Look for Robert L. Forward's novels, published by Baen.  You can buy directly from Baen in DRM-free EPUBs that you can sideload to your Nook.  Forward didn't deal at all with religion and kept the politics and relationships down to what was needed to move the plot along but there's a great deal of science in the books -- especially in his appendices where he explains the detailed physics behind the storyline.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Contributor
Cerys
0 Kudos

This thread is kind of old, so I don't know if this will help you(or anyone), but I really enjoyed Roger Zelazny's "Lord of Light."  It's definitely a science fiction book, but Zelazny takes a really interesting and different approach to it that I enjoyed.  I think he's a very underrated/lesser known(kind of, he's still quite popular) author sometimes.

I don't read a lot of pure science fiction to be honest, but that and Dune are wonderful.

Also, something to take into consideration, Asimov's and Analog both have short story magazines you can get for your Nook.  Those are neat, since it's like... $2.99 a month and it auto sends to your device.  Analog is more hard sci-fi and Asimov's is a mix of hard/soft/more fantastical.

Check out my website! CerysduLys.com
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, Zelazny's work is still almost entirely unavailable for Nook.  There's a study guide available for Lord of Light but not the book itself.  No Amber books are available except some add-on stories written by someone else after his death. :smileyfrustrated:

Back in the seventies, Lord of Light was optioned for a movie.  It even got as far as a rather bad script being written.  When a group of American embassy employees were trapped in Tehran after the 1979 revolution, CIA agent Tony Mendez needed a science fiction movie script to build a pretense to spirit them out.  He picked up the option on the Lord of Light project, which by that time had been renamed Argo.  True story.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Is Lord of Light as good as the Amber series?

MacMcK1957

deesy58 wrote:

Is Lord of Light as good as the Amber series?

Yes, but quite different.

Contributor
Cerys
0 Kudos

That's really sad that "Lord of Light" isn't available as an eBook.  It's still a wonderful book for anyone really into sci-fi.

I haven't read the Amber series, but maybe I should give it a try.

Check out my website! CerysduLys.com
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

A lot of modern fiction (1940's to 1980's, especially) isn't available digitally.  Some because the authors are luddites (Bradbury, for example), some because the author's estate is still unsettled, some because publishers aren't sure there's a large enough market for the material to make it worth their while to re-typeset it all.  Don't know which category Zelazny would fall into.