Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Danvilleduck
0 Kudos

Anyone reading the Temeraire Series by Naomi Novik?

I saw this reviewed either in an old Book Review from the Washington Post or NY Times and finally bought the paperbacks (later found out there are also available on Audible). Both my husband and I enjoyed the mix of alternate history and living with dragons. Series is set during the Napoleonic Wars with flying dragon battleshipsetc added to the sea and land forces. The following books go to China and Africa and places between those points. A very good read.
Frequent Contributor
Jaelin
0 Kudos

Re: Anyone reading the Temeraire Series by Naomi Novik?

I have tried to read this and it is currently in my to be read pile.  I did not realize, at the time, that it was an alternative world type book.  I just couldn't get into it.  I am hoping that at a different point in my life these will "fit" and be really enjoyable.  I have to admit the idea is intrigueing.

Jessee
That is a good book which is opened with expectation and closed in profit.
~ Amos Bronson Alcott ~
Frequent Contributor
LeisureSuitLarry
0 Kudos

I've read the first three, but I haven't hit Empire of Ivory yet. I think the next one is either out now in hardback or coming out soon. I really like it, but I'm a big fan of alternate history and a bigger fan of fantasy. Throw dragons into alt hist and it's like when the guy with the chocolate crashed into the guy with peanut butter. I want to read both of them, but I just keep getting distracted by free books.
New User
Danvilleduck
0 Kudos

I joined the 'fan club' and the release date in the US for the next book is 8 July. Go to the website and you can read a chapter.
New User
Fantasygrl
0 Kudos

Hi, I am new to this group and I was looking through the previous posts thinking that this book series would be a really great possible feature. I have read all the books that are currently out, including the new one, Victory of Eagles.  They are all great!  I love the mix of alternate historic events and fantasy.  I have managed to turn my entire household onto the books, and we all love them.  I hate having to wait for the next one though:smileysad: 
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

A friend of mine just downloaded these on audible and made them available to me. I only downloaded the first one to see if I like them. It is "His Majesties Dragon". I came on to see if anyone had posted anthing about them and found this older post. Any newer readers/listeners? What did you think. Is this series worth starting?