Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

BOOKS that become MOVIES both good and bad

This is popping up in more than one thread on the board.

But many movies over the years started out in life as a book. We have a read a book that one day showed up as a movie or tv show. And a few of us read a book previously unknown to us when we discover it's being made as a movie. Or even after the fact, a movie is so good it makes us go read the book. Don't you just love when they put READ THE BOOK in the credits.

I thought a thread about which ones are our favories or downright an embarasment might be fun.

What good book became a good movie? What bad book became a good movie? What great book was forever tarnished when they made the movie? You get the idea.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: BOOKS that become MOVIES both good and bad

I'll get things started with a few that my son and I have enjoyed but we read the books first:

Lord Of The Rings,

HitchHiker's Guide To The Galaxy

UnderWorld

Jumper by Steven Gould

Harry Potter, the full series

Hogfather by Terry Pratchett

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe

A Wrinkle In Time

2001 Space Odysey

A Series Of Unfortunate Events

Stardust

We always like to read the book before seeing the movie.  Some we have really liked and others we feel like we wasted our money but the ones listed have been our favorites.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

This is something I have been looking for, exactly. Thanks Tiggerbear for putting a name to my secret wishes. I have a secret hobby of reading the book, then watching the movie and having my (silent or quit loud) two cents about it. I will watch this thread hungrily. 
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Oops. Quite. Not quit. I don't. Or so I've been told. :smileyhappy:
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

The Good-

Lord of the Rings ( I even like the Rankin/Bass Hobbit and Return of the King)

Stardust - Liked the movie better, but the book was fun too

Harry Potter- I knew ZERO about these when the first movie came out, my wife and I have devoured them all since.

Damnation Alley- Roger Zelazny. the movie is very little like the book, but fun anyway.

Princess Bride- Who doesn't love this flick and quote from it regularly?

The Bad-

Golden Compass- I read the book cuase the movie was coming. I was sorry I read the series believing it had to get better, even sorrier I saw the movie.

Dungeons & Dragons Movie- Gah! There's nothing more to say.

Red Sonia - loosely based on Robert Howard's character, Had the Guv, and Stallone's ex in it. MST3k bad.

The Ugly- (stuff that's watchable but not very pretty)

Conan the Destroyer- Watchable, but darn silly with bad acting at times.

Grendal - The Sci-Fi channel version, low budget watching for Saturday night when there's no "Deal or No Deal" re-runs on.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Where does 2001: A Space Odyssey rank with you guys? Good or bad? Or Ugly?

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I would put it in the good category.  I felt like it was pretty well done for the time and it is one I have not seen a remake of.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Frequent Contributor
WaterLily
0 Kudos

Jurassic Park!! I read the book after I saw the movie but i was young when the movie came out.  But i really enjoyed both.  But not so much of the second one.  It was ok.  And the third movie was ok i suppose.  I preffered the first one much more.  Plus i couldnt even make it through the second book.
"In the end family is all that we have"
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Where does 2001: A Space Odyssey rank with you guys? Good or bad? Or Ugly?

Paul 

Gotta go with "Good" although there are some boring parts in there. Whilst we are on Kubrick was "Clockwork Orange" made from a book? Anyone? If so we can add it to the "Good" category. Most brutal rendition of "Singing in the Rain" I ever saw.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:
Whilst we are on Kubrick was "Clockwork Orange" made from a book? Anyone? 

Brad:

Oh yeah – A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (1962)... undisputable dystopian classic.

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Can I add Constatine in the bad category?
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Contributor
qwertbook82
0 Kudos

Good Books, Good Movies/TV:

Princess Bride

Matilda

Dexter (though the first 2 books were better than the show)

Howl's Moving Castle

Wrinkle in Time 

Good Books, Bad Movies/TV

Most of the Harry Potters

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Legend of the Seeker/ Sword of Truth(1st few books)

The Dresden Files

Eragon (mediocre book, bad movie)

Bad Books, Good Movies:

Big Fish