paulgoatallen

BREAKING NEWS About The Wheel of Time! (Three More Books!)

i just heard from Tor publicist extraordinaire Dot Lin some news about the final installment of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time cycle, A Memory of Light. Here's what Dot had to say:

"Some of you may have seen this already, but at long last, I’m proud to announce the Nov. 3rd on-sale date for the final installment in Robert Jordan’s beloved Wheel of Time series. The final book, A Memory of Light, will actually be split into three volumes, the first of which will be called The Gathering Storm.

As some of you know, Robert Jordan passed away in late 2007 due to a rare blood disease. Harriet McDougal, Jordan’s wife and editor, chose Brandon Sanderson to complete the WoT series from Jordan’s notes and materials, and both have taken on the monumental task of bringing this legendary twenty-years-in-the-making series to an end.

So many people, especially Brandon and Harriet and their “Team Jordan,” have worked so, so hard on AMOL to bring it to readers and fulfill Jordan’s vision. It was and is very much a labor of love. Do join me in congratulating them and supporting them as they head into the final journey.

The official announcement is below, but I recommend reading Harriet’s interview (http://www.dragonmount.com/Books/Memory_of_Light/harriet_interview_01.php) and especially Brandon’s piece on some of the process and decisions behind AMOL: http://www.brandonsanderson.com/article/56/Splitting-AMOL. The latter is long, but well worth the read."

Wow. Three more books. What are your thoughts, guys?

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: BREAKING NEWS About The Wheel of Time! (Three More Books!)

paulgoatallen wrote:

i just heard from Tor publicist extraordinaire Dot Lin some news about the final installment of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time cycle, A Memory of Light. Here's what Dot had to say:

"Some of you may have seen this already, but at long last, I’m proud to announce the Nov. 3rd on-sale date for the final installment in Robert Jordan’s beloved Wheel of Time series. The final book, A Memory of Light, will actually be split into three volumes, the first of which will be called The Gathering Storm.

As some of you know, Robert Jordan passed away in late 2007 due to a rare blood disease. Harriet McDougal, Jordan’s wife and editor, chose Brandon Sanderson to complete the WoT series from Jordan’s notes and materials, and both have taken on the monumental task of bringing this legendary twenty-years-in-the-making series to an end.

So many people, especially Brandon and Harriet and their “Team Jordan,” have worked so, so hard on AMOL to bring it to readers and fulfill Jordan’s vision. It was and is very much a labor of love. Do join me in congratulating them and supporting them as they head into the final journey.

The official announcement is below, but I recommend reading Harriet’s interview (http://www.dragonmount.com/Books/Memory_of_Light/harriet_interview_01.php) and especially Brandon’s piece on some of the process and decisions behind AMOL: http://www.brandonsanderson.com/article/56/Splitting-AMOL. The latter is long, but well worth the read."

Paul 

Paul I'm not really citicizing that hard, but it apears that they are milking it.

Nadine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Since the whole series consists of over 9,000 pages, I guess I would have to start reading now to catch up! One question, though. Do I really want to read all of them? The links take you to Wikipedia book summaries.

Wheel of Time
  New Spring  January 2004
1. The Eye of the World  January 1990
2. The Great Hunt  November 1990
3. The Dragon Reborn  October 1991
4. The Shadow Rising  September 1992 No Prologue
5. The Fires of Heaven  October 1993
6. Lord of Chaos  First with an Epilogue
7. A Crown of Swords  May 1996
8. The Path of Daggers  October 1998
9. Winter's Heart  November 2000
10. Crossroads of Twilight  January 2003 Also has an Epilogue
11. Knife of Dreams  October 2005 Also has an Epilogue
12.1 The Gathering Storm November 2009
12.2 A Memory of Light Part 2 Due fall 2010
12.3 A Memory of Light Part 3 Due fall 2011

I guess after the very last intallment we face  the Mayan Year 2012!

Message Edited by Nadine on 03-31-2009 07:54 PM
Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic
0 Kudos

Three more books? I  hope something actually happens in them.

I mean, fans are already complaining about how the action runs a bit thin in the later books. I fear they will go beserk after hearing this.

At least it will be Brandon Sanderson writing them. He'd pretty good.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Raven_Lunatic wrote:

Three more books? I  hope something actually happens in them.

I mean, fans are already complaining about how the action runs a bit thin in the later books. I fear they will go beserk after hearing this.

At least it will be Brandon Sanderson writing them. He'd pretty good.

Raven:

Exactly my thoughts!  At first, I was bewildered – three more books?!? But then, after I realized Brandon Sanderson was going to be writing them, I actually got a little excited – this could be good!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

April Fools, right?! It's already 5 books too long. No way am I buying this, I would have considered the last one since I have a lot of time invested.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Nadine

[ Edited ]

Bradinator1 wrote:

April Fools, right?! It's already 5 books too long. No way am I buying this, I would have considered the last one since I have a lot of time invested.

Brad

I haven't even read them and I agree. I understand this was originally planned as a six-book series. The premise sounds fascinating and I'm really intrigued about reading it. But taking the final book and making it into three books -- well, it is obvious what they are doing, after all they managed to take a planned six-book series and make it into 15 books! And a lot of you peoplle, who don't mind breezing through long series have even balked at this series as way draw out. Still, money speaks and I understant that books eight through eleven made the NY Times Best Seller List. That's a lot of bucks! And I gather by some of the comments I've read here that it is the later books that are of dubious value. 

I already have books 1-4 so I will read those. Beyond those I'm not sure where to go from there. Maybe there's a Reader's Digest type somewhere. I'm sure there are other people who haven't read the whole thing. The final volumes must do something to bring first-time readers up to speed. I think at that I might wait out the year for the paperback unless it gets rave reviews.

Wow! Is my arithmetic correct here!? If the first four books of this series were on target, and the sixth planned book is now being split into three books. That means the only remaining book, theoretical Book #5, was stretched into eight books!

Message Edited by Nadine on 04-01-2009 11:09 AM
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I feel I have to finish them.  I've read all of them so far and for me to not cross the finish line now seems kinda silly.  Besides I really like the characters, all ten thousand of them.
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
lilithesque
0 Kudos

I was really disappointed in the last couple books and started to seriously dislike certian charicters, however I will at least read the the first of three of these closing books and see how it goes.  I did read all of them and it and I do want to know how it all ends.  Id like to be surprised. 

Lily

Dude, Where's my book!
Frequent Contributor
MJS74
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
MJS74
0 Kudos

you  see why it is not a good idea to have someone else finish a series. they are simply trying to milk it by breaking it up. that said i will still buy all three simply to see if some of the plot turns out like i think it will. i read some  did not like the last few books. not me, i  love the entire series.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

MJS74 wrote:
you  see why it is not a good idea to have someone else finish a series. they are simply trying to milk it by breaking it up. that said i will still buy all three simply to see if some of the plot turns out like i think it will. i read some  did not like the last few books. not me, i  love the entire series.

I'll have to disagree with you here – but only because it's Brandon Sanderson doing the writing. But I do agree with you about pretty much every single series started by one author and finished by another. I remember a few years back – maybe more – when the estate of Roger Zelazny authorized John Betancourt the rights to write a prequel series to the Amber Chronicles. Not a good idea. Reading those books just tarnished the entire series for me.

But here's why I think this could be a godsend for the Wheel of Time cycle – let's not beat around the bush, it was getting too "unwieldy." The last few installments got bigger and bigger and the pacing got slower and slower... I don't think Sanderson isn't "milking" it – he probably simply couldn't wrap it up in one novel. But three novels? I'm very interested in this upcoming novel...it'll make for great conversation in October!

Paul 

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I'm very interested in this upcoming novel...it'll make for great conversation in October!

Paul, once again, I'm forced to call you my hero!

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

I'm very interested in this upcoming novel...it'll make for great conversation in October!

Paul, once again, I'm forced to call you my hero!

Ryan:

It's my job, man, but thanks! (I just hope this book – these books, actually – live up to all this hype, that's all I can say.... There's literally hundreds of thousands of people waiting for these things to be released!)

Paul 

Frequent Contributor
MJS74
0 Kudos

man i sure hope you are right. i like SANDERSON  , but i get the feeling i will be let down by this. hey i've been wrong before.
Nadine

WoT

Wow! Here we have Sanderson's impressions of each book in the series. This should provide some real clues as to where this series is going in the end:
Here is a snippet from his commentary on Eye of the World, Book #1:
----------------------------------------------
I also feel that it will be VERY important to writing Book Twelve.  The Wheel turns; ages become new again and ideas return.  I feel that the last book of the series should have numerous hearkenings back to this first book; that will give  a sense of closure to this section of the Pattern and fit with the motif of the Wheel's turning. 
=====================
And a little one from Knife of Dreams, Book #11:
I find several things curious about Knife of Dreams.  First, the pacing.  This is the first book I remember feeling was moving directly toward an ending of the series.  We resolve Elayne's plot to a large measure, Mat and Tuon get married, and Perrin rescues his wife.  Those three things all complete major, multi-book arcs and set us up for Book Twelve.
=========================
 Sigh. I guess I'll have to read all of them!

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul 

Nadine

[ Edited ]

I thought this explanation of the splitting of the last book of the Wheel of Time might be interesting to readers of this thread. This is from Brandon Sanderson, the person who will be writing those books. It is VERY long!

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/article/56/Splitting-AMOL

Message Edited by Nadine on 04-13-2009 05:26 PM
Ryan_G

Nadine,

Thank you for both posts, the information was very interesting and I hope it will put the grousing to rest.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

Nadine,

Thank you for both posts, the information was very interesting and I hope it will put the grousing to rest.

Ryan:

Great usage of "grousing." Bravo!   :smileyhappy:

Paul 

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Lol....Thanks Paul.  The word I've really been trying to put into a post but still haven't found the perfect fit for is "defenestration".  I've been in love with the word since I was 12-13.  It just sounds so cool.

paulgoatallen wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Nadine,

Ryan:

Great usage of "grousing." Bravo!   :smileyhappy:

Paul