Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Believe The Hype: Justin Cronin’s The Passage is an Unarguable Post-Apocalyptic Classic

In the next few days, I’m sure that you’ll be hearing a lot about Justin Cronin and The Passage. Believe the hype. This release won’t just be one of the biggest titles of 2010; it’ll be considered an unarguable post-apocalyptic classic in short order.

I just finished my in-depth review of this book. Please check out the Unabashedly Bookish blog tomorrow where it will be posted!

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: Believe The Hype: Justin Cronin’s The Passage is an Unarguable Post-Apocalyptic Classic

Here is my review:

Believe The Hype: Justin Cronin’s The Passage is an Unarguable Post-Apocalyptic Classic

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Unabashedly-Bookish-The-BN/Believe-The-Hype-Justin-Cronin-s-T...

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

Re: Believe The Hype: Justin Cronin’s The Passage is an Unarguable Post-Apocalyptic Classic

I can't resist the lure of classic post apocalyptic fiction with a sci-fi edge and rampant vampirism. So, I bought The Passage and should receive delivery within the next two days.  

Wordsmith
PhyllisJ

I received this in the mail a few days ago and placed it on my TBR list, I was going to read another book before it.  However after reading some reviews of The Passage, I think I may just read The Passage first.

Phyllis
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

PhyllisJ wrote:

I received this in the mail a few days ago and placed it on my TBR list, I was going to read another book before it.  However after reading some reviews of The Passage, I think I may just read The Passage first.

You're going to L-O-V-E it, Phyl – trust me on this!

Paul

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Paul can you put your Site.Review on twitter..Some of my twitter friends want to see it..I directed them to your site,but you can do it much Better..Thanks Paul...Susan..

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

Paul can you put your Site.Review on twitter..Some of my twitter friends want to see it..I directed them to your site,but you can do it much Better..Thanks Paul...Susan..

I tweeted it a while back but I'll retweet just for you....  :smileyhappy:

Paul

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Done.

Believe The Hype: Justin Cronin’s The Passage is an Unarguable Post-Apocalyptic Classic http://bit.ly/bBJv8m

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

I retweeted it under the twitter name "paulgoatallen," by the way... feel free to "follow me" if you want to keep up to date with my reviews!  :smileyhappy:

Paul

dalnewt

Yeah, I can post. Thanks Paul.

Wonderful book so far. I'm totally immersed in the story. It's so rich and full. The first section, (prior to vampire escape and widespread destruction), is totally plausible and riveting. And, the second, post-apocalyptic section totally engages the reader with the stories of surviving colony and certain sympathetic main characters. Their struggles and cross-county quest is totally gripping. Plus, a really intriguing plot twist just occurred. It's a great read! 

Wordsmith
PhyllisJ

Paul wrote--

You're going to L-O-V-E it, Phyl – trust me on this!

Paul,  You are so right.  This book is totally awesome.  I left off earlier this afternoon after finishing up section 1 B.V. (I am thinking this is before virus or vampire virus?)  I started section 2 A.V. (after virus or vampire virus) but I wasn't able to get to far into  it yet, I had plans with a friend to see the movie Knight and Day and grab a bite to eat.  I was telling her all about The Passage but she is not a bookworm or even a reader so she was looking at me like = what page are you on?  LOL

Phyllis
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

Paul, I  couldn't post to Thank you.now its fine..Soon "The Passage" for me..Have a few others to finish.I have a feeling from the posts and all I have heard , it does consume you..Susan Vtc...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote--

Paul, I  couldn't post to Thank you.now its fine..Soon "The Passage" for me..Have a few others to finish.I have a feeling from the posts and all I have heard , it does consume you..Susan Vtc...

I think you are going to find yourself consumed and immersed by "The Passage" and I would love to hear your thoughts on the book.  I think this is the first of a trilogy.

Phyllis
dalnewt
0 Kudos

With a little over 100 more pages to read, I can't envision how the book is going to end. The (vampires infecting the world) premise isn't that unique, but the way the narrative unfolds, the sheer humanity of the characters and the prose is quite extraordinary. I love the way events are explained through the very human reactions and experiences. This book carries you away.  

Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g

I had heard many good things about this book, both here and elsewhere, so I got on my library's hold list for the book about a month ago (before it came out), and I was just able to check it out and read it. While I was reading the first section, I liked it (but didn't love it) and figured that the hype had developed because it was one of those thrillers with a certain medical/science edge that people like Michael Crichton write. While I've read (and enjoyed) books like that before, I have to admit I was a little disappointed because I had thought this book was going to be different.

Silly me! As I kept reading, and got past the moment of initial infestation, I realized that it *is* different. This book's strength, at least in my mind, is its characters. While the rest of the book still has thrilling parts, and the vampire threat certainly doesn't go away, this book has as much in common with The Lord of the Rings and The Dark Tower (in its quest structure) as some of those other thrillers. I really enjoyed it. The biggest downside, for me, is that the next book in the trilogy won't be out for another two years.

dalnewt

After finishing the book yesterday, I can't wait for the second book in the trilogy to come out. Unfortunately, it's not scheduled for release until 2011.

This book is a wonderful read with a twisting and encompassing plot, three-dimensional characters, stupendous post-apocalyptic world building and really intriguing themes (such as what it means to be 'human').

From the outset I was blown away by the depth of certain characters, particularly the FBI agent Wolgast and Amy's mother, Jeanette. The way the author is able to describe their feelings, actions, reactions, decisions and attitudes is unbelievably insightful, (and, well, true to human nature). The post-infestation characters continue to be described in this phenomenally insightful way. Each primary character is a distinct, three-dimensional individual who comes to life as you read. Even some of the secondary characters are so well-described that you feel you know them.   

dhaupt

There's only one thing I can say about this book Oh My God!!!!!!!!!

It was incredible. Paul you have a batting average of 1000. Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined a vampire novel like this.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

There's only one thing I can say about this book Oh My God!!!!!!!!!

It was incredible. Paul you have a batting average of 1000. Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined a vampire novel like this.

Awesome – so glad you loved it as much as I did, Deb!
Paul
dhaupt

And this post is for all of you nay sayers who haven't taken the Passage and listened to Paul

here's my review on B&N or on my blog

Thanks Paul for the great recommendation

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Believe The Hype: Justin Cronin’s The Passage - Spoiler

Paul,

I'm only half way through, I've had some wrist problems, and it's slowed me down.....but....What a read!  Although, I must say.....At the end of the [Second] II section, I cried my eyes out!  I had to stop reading the book for a couple of days, to get over this feeling of loss...... I guess I figured Wolgast would continue....I didn't realize the time passage would happen....dumb, since the book is called:  The Passage....duh!  Not unless he's brought back in some way....anything seems possible in this story!  Amy just reappeared, and I can't wait to see what happens next!

I would like to ask these "characters" a few questions, though....Ha!  it's as if the race is starting over from scratch....the language even changes....well, I won't go into the details of my questions, not unless someone wants to talk about it here.  I'm plugging along, as fast as I can.  I've had a few near misses to my nose!  This book is a challenge, in more ways than one!  But, I can't stop now!  Oh, and btw, this setting is close to where I live, and I'm enjoying recognizing the landscape....I keep saying..."Hey, I know where you guys are!"  :smileyhappy:

Soon,

Kathy