Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21

Re: Believe The Hype: Justin Cronin’s The Passage - Spoiler

KathyS wrote:

Paul,

I'm only half way through, I've had some wrist problems, and it's slowed me down.....but....What a read!  Although, I must say.....At the end of the [Second] II section, I cried my eyes out!  I had to stop reading the book for a couple of days, to get over this feeling of loss...... I guess I figured Wolgast would continue....I didn't realize the time passage would happen....dumb, since the book is called:  The Passage....duh!  Not unless he's brought back in some way....anything seems possible in this story!  Amy just reappeared, and I can't wait to see what happens next!

I would like to ask these "characters" a few questions, though....Ha!  it's as if the race is starting over from scratch....the language even changes....well, I won't go into the details of my questions, not unless someone wants to talk about it here.  I'm plugging along, as fast as I can.  I've had a few near misses to my nose!  This book is a challenge, in more ways than one!  But, I can't stop now!  Oh, and btw, this setting is close to where I live, and I'm enjoying recognizing the landscape....I keep saying..."Hey, I know where you guys are!"  :smileyhappy:

Soon,

Kathy

Kathy,

I am about where you are in Passages. Man, Isn't this a good book! I took a break to read another book. It was hard to stop. I am trying not to race through this book and take some time to think about all that happens every 100 or so pages. I did get this book on my nook. It is a big book. I would be afraid I would drop it on one of my dogs and the dog would be paralyzed for life.

Luanne

KathyS

[ Edited ]

Hi, Luanne...yes, the dog issue...Ha!  My grandson picked my book up, yesterday.  He's 6, and asked me if this was the Twilight Series!  lol....and named another book, one I didn't recognize....He must of been referring to the size of the books.  His step mom must read them, not my daughter.

I've seen the Twilight books, but never read them....Those books are large, but the text is not as dense as The Passage.  I've been told they're fast reads, but I can't read this one fast....Cronin's writing has so many wonderful passages, I want to absorb them, not inhale them!  He's not flowery, or frilly, or overly wordy;  he just writes some very long, profound and beautiful thoughts. I'm on page 364.....can't get back to it until tonight.  It's G-kids' day, today!  And they'll be sneaking in any minute....to scare me!  Then my day is off to a running start!  Until they leave....and I pass out!

Later,

Kathy

pen21
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Hi, Luanne...yes, the dog issue...Ha!  My grandson picked my book up, yesterday.  He's 6, and asked me if this was the Twilight Series!  lol....and named another book, one I didn't recognize....He must of been referring to the size of the books.  His step mom must read them, not my daughter.

I've seen the Twilight books, but never read them....Those books are large, but the text is not as dense as The Passage.  I've been told they're fast reads, but I can't read this one fast....Cronin's writing has so many wonderful passages, I want to absorb them, not inhale them!  He's not flowery, or frilly, or overly wordy;  he just writes some very long, profound and beautiful thoughts. I'm on page 364.....can't get back to it until tonight.  It's G-kids' day, today!  And they'll be sneaking in any minute....to scare me!  Then my day is off to a running start!  Until they leave....and I pass out!

Later,

Kathy

Kathy,

I like what you said above about Cronin's writing. Well said.

Luanne

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Paul,

I'm only half way through, I've had some wrist problems, and it's slowed me down.....but....What a read!  Although, I must say.....At the end of the [Second] II section, I cried my eyes out!  I had to stop reading the book for a couple of days, to get over this feeling of loss...... I guess I figured Wolgast would continue....I didn't realize the time passage would happen....dumb, since the book is called:  The Passage....duh!  Not unless he's brought back in some way....anything seems possible in this story!  Amy just reappeared, and I can't wait to see what happens next!

I would like to ask these "characters" a few questions, though....Ha!  it's as if the race is starting over from scratch....the language even changes....well, I won't go into the details of my questions, not unless someone wants to talk about it here.  I'm plugging along, as fast as I can.  I've had a few near misses to my nose!  This book is a challenge, in more ways than one!  But, I can't stop now!  Oh, and btw, this setting is close to where I live, and I'm enjoying recognizing the landscape....I keep saying..."Hey, I know where you guys are!"  :smileyhappy:

Soon,

Kathy

Glad you're enjoying it, Kathy! The thing that blows my mind is – this is already such an epic read – what's going to happen in the second and third books?!?

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
Tommy1733
0 Kudos

I understand everything you say about his writing style, and certainly the desire to savor it, however I literally could not stop with this one.  I was lucky enough to be on a vacation specifically designed to find time to rest, relax, and read.  I devoured this book in less than 3 days...  There were times, however, I stopped to process as some have mentioned. 

I have scoured the forums and have found nothing lengthy as far as discussion on this book.  Please someone either direct me to one or help me start a discussion, I NEED to talk to someone about this... I havent felt this strong of an urge to discuss a novel in a long time.

TiggerBear

Tommy1733 wrote:

I understand everything you say about his writing style, and certainly the desire to savor it, however I literally could not stop with this one.  I was lucky enough to be on a vacation specifically designed to find time to rest, relax, and read.  I devoured this book in less than 3 days...  There were times, however, I stopped to process as some have mentioned. 

I have scoured the forums and have found nothing lengthy as far as discussion on this book.  Please someone either direct me to one or help me start a discussion, I NEED to talk to someone about this... I havent felt this strong of an urge to discuss a novel in a long time.

Dude, you're already there. Start.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Tommy1733 wrote:

Ditto – let's hear it!  :smileyhappy:

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
dhaupt
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Tommy1733 wrote:

Ditto – let's hear it!  :smileyhappy:

Paul

I'm there definitely !!!

pen21

This book really surprised me. I had heard so much about it, all great things. Sometimes that just builds my expectations too high. But everyone is right, what a book! I will have it pre-ordered for my nook whenever they release the next book during the night. I have told everyone I know about it. So many people who don't read sci-fi have read this book.

People read this book. Luanne