Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Best cars in Science fiction?

[ Edited ]

There have been some great cars in science fiction movies, probably rivaled only by the Bond cars, almost science fiction themselves.  

My favorite has to be the Deloren in BTF. My next would be the Galaxy 500 in the first MIB. The flying taxi in Fifth Element is third place. Blade Runner, AI, and I Robot all are worthy of mention.

What would be your top 3, and what are the ones I missed.

MacMcK1957

Re: Best cars in Science fiction?

[ Edited ]

Minority Report?

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

Hmmm ... well, of course the Delorean from Back to the Future has to be number 1 ... although I'd prefer the one in Back to the Future II as I'd rather have a Mr. Fusion in the back than have to procure plutonium from Libyan terrorists.

Personally, I prefer the skycars from Bladerunner to the Galaxy 500 from Men in Black.

If I can stretch your definition a tad, my third pick would be the Cyclone motorcycles from Robotech.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The cars in minority report were scary, they reflected a world where individuality was squashed, so I didn't warm to them.

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Omnigeek wrote:

Hmmm ... well, of course the Delorean from Back to the Future has to be number 1 ... although I'd prefer the one in Back to the Future II as I'd rather have a Mr. Fusion in the back than have to procure plutonium from Libyan terrorists.

Personally, I prefer the skycars from Bladerunner to the Galaxy 500 from Men in Black.

If I can stretch your definition a tad, my third pick would be the Cyclone motorcycles from Robotech.

More than the one in Judge Dredd?

RHWright

As with most, Blade Runner and the BTtF2 DeLorean.

Also the light cycles and cars in Tron Legacy and the Mach 5 from Speed Racer.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

Afraid I'm not familiar with the car in Judge Dredd and always figured the light cycles in Tron were more of a game illusion than vehicles but then I remembered a company in Florida actually built recreations of the lightcycles from Tron: Legacy and they are COOOOOOL.  The Mach 5 almost made my #3 but I really had to go with the Cyclones from Robotech because well, who wouldn't want a a motorcycle that transforms into flying body armor that lets you shoot missiles?

While not science fiction, the car I most desperately want to build/recreate is Chitty Chitty Bang Bang -- right down to replicating the engine noise.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed