Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716

Re: Buck Rogers

EinsteinPD wrote:

As for "trusting NASA's math" their math showed a certain O Ring was safe when it wasn't, killing seven astronauts.... You are welcome to trust them.

Phillip Duke Ph.D.

I've never really looked into the Challenger disaster that closely, but I was under the impression that the decision to launch was a political one, made by the administrators over the objections of the engineers.  I could be misremembering that though.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Frequent Contributor
WONK

Challenger had two things wrong with it.  The first was the administrative decision to launch below the temperatures that were known to be safe and the second was the re-mixing of new components in the 'rubber' mix for the O-rings.  The original compound in the O-rings was what was used for the launch ratings.  When the new compouds were substituted for the originals the rings were never fully tested again until after.  The new compounds was more brittle in cold temperatures.  The correction was doubling the O-rings as a safety measure. 

Runo singer and curmudgeon
Sirvio's Keep
www.paulbunyan.net/users/gsirvio
Keep's Books and Tales
www.paulbunyan.net/users/gsirvio/content.html
Book reviews
www.paulbunyan.net/users/gsirvio/reviews.html
Gorden's bookshelf
www.midwestbookreview.com
Taconite Runes
http://TaconiteRunes.com
Pulp Writing
http://forums.delphiforums.com/pulpwriting/messages
Frequent Contributor
EinsteinPD
0 Kudos

The O rings were a built-in potential disaster There was a proposal without O rings, but it was not from the favored contractor. The favored contractor was so distant, that the length without O rings made surface transport impossible. The O rings were inserted just so the sections could be transported by the favored contractor. If NASA had only refused the design with O rings, the disaster would not have occurred.

I see the prior thread is gone. This is the third time posts related to my original thread "Is star tgravel possible now?" have been removed. The two star review by ManuelGarcia of my book "Starship To New Earth NOW" on which the thread was based, remains. I previously repeatedly asked him to please send me the mathematics on which he bases his claim that the book's propulsion system is invalid, but I never heard from him.

I have decided to write and publish a new, revised edition of the book, primarily to discuss the propulsion related vissue. ManuelGarcia, email me the math you claim shows my propulsion system is invalid. If you won't, then your review is based on spite, not fact.

Phillip Duke Ph.D.

drpduke@wmconnect.com

Correspondent
ManuelGarcia

[ Edited ]

EinsteinPD, I am not sure a thread about Buck Rodgers is the proper place for this. But since the math isn't that complicated I'll post it here.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, the main equation is Tsiolkovsky rocket equation. Arthur C. Clarke called it the most important equation in the whole of rocketry. There is a picture of Tsiolkovsky on the ISS. It is

Dv =Ev * ln(R)

Dv is delta-v - the maximum change of speed of the vehicle

Ev is the exhaust velocity of the propellant

R is the Mass Ratio that is the mass of the rocket ship before any fuel is used divided by mass once the fuel quits being used

It can be reformulated to calculate R as R=e^(Dv/Ev)

The exhaust velocity of the NERVA nuclear engines which used hydrogen as propellant is 17,658 m/s, 0.01c is about 3,000,000 m/s. Hydrogen is used instead of water because it gives a higher exhaust velocity. Plugging those figures in gives a R of 6 *10^73 i.e. 6 with 73 zeros after it.  It get much worse for speeds above 0.01c.

Correspondent
ManuelGarcia

Re: Buck Rogers (really this time)

[ Edited ]

Now that we are finished discussing rockets not in Buck Rogers (I hope) let's get back to the things mentioned in the book that have come to pass.

It has remote piloted surveillance and attack drones, paratroopers, night vision devices and Bazookas.

Frequent Contributor
WONK
0 Kudos

<As for Buck Rogers I read both "Armageddon 2419 A.D."  and "The Airlords of Han" as a teenager and again last year.  Note "Armageddon 2419 A.D." was later renamed "Buck Rogers In The 25th Century". I really like both>

I forgot to reply to this earlier.  The name change happened because a movie company trademarked the original title so the only open title for Buck Rogers stories has to have 25th Century.  I had to add 25th Century to my sequel to Buck Rogers because of the trademark question.

Runo singer and curmudgeon
Sirvio's Keep
www.paulbunyan.net/users/gsirvio
Keep's Books and Tales
www.paulbunyan.net/users/gsirvio/content.html
Book reviews
www.paulbunyan.net/users/gsirvio/reviews.html
Gorden's bookshelf
www.midwestbookreview.com
Taconite Runes
http://TaconiteRunes.com
Pulp Writing