kimmi
0 Kudos

Re: Christopher Paolini's Inheritance Cycle

I do agree with you . It was a Big disappointment
Contributor
Ariesjla
0 Kudos

Re: Eragon and Tolkien

The casting was not great either! Eragon in the movie was nice to look at but was really whiney.  My Boyfriend who has never read the book went to see it with me and he was pretty disappointed.  To this day he still reminds me that it was my awful idea to go see the movie.

**Saleswoman: It's the latest scent! You wear this, and you'll have to beat the men off with a stick.
**Wonder Woman: Believe me - I don't need a stick.
New User
kimmi
0 Kudos

Lets put it this way , if you read the book and then watched the movie, they cut so much out of the movie. I was waiting for things to happen that they cut out. If you want to see the movie borrow someone's or rent it for a dollar somewhere. Very Disappointed
Contributor
marla4
0 Kudos

I've both read the book and watched the movie. I liked the book better than the movie. Yes the movie did an excellent job on the dragon. But, the book gave more of the details of what happen in between time and who did what. I can't wait till the third one comes out this month.
Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

I saw the movie before I read the books... it took 3 weeks of friends trying to convince me to read them before I even considered picking them up. I love my friends... without them i wouldn't have been introduced to one of the most amazing book series ever...

by the way... I'm in on the whole discussion thing... this will be my 5th time reading through the series in the pest 6 months... but I don't mind. 

"When camping in Canada, do not wear fruity chapstick... you might get mauled by grizzly bears."
Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

I understand where you're coming from here, I mean even Peter Jackson had to leave out some stuff that I wish he wouldn't have (that's why the extended edition of the LOTR movies are so amazing... but freakishly long). But in the Eragon movie, they completely left out the dwarves... they're not in the movie AT ALL... how can you leave out an entire race of people?

not to mention the movie was just bad... and REALLY hard to understand... especially if you had not read the books before you saw the movie.

"When camping in Canada, do not wear fruity chapstick... you might get mauled by grizzly bears."
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

I'd have to say my biggest disappointment was the complete deletion of entire plot threads. The movie was NOT representative of the book, that's for sure. There's a post over in Paranormal about the worst movies made from SF/F classics and Eragon is listed numerous times. (The link is below...)

Paul 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board/message?board.id=vpttn&thread.id=8077&jump=true

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

so, they're supposed to be making Eldest into a movie... there is some pretty convincing trailers on you tube, but you can never trust those. But I have seen other sources that have said to expect the Eldest movie next summer... I'm sensing only bad things coming of that.:smileysad:
Contributor
Shurtugal
0 Kudos

So i just finished Re reading Eragon tonight, in just over a two day period. It was a lot better the second time IMO. It was amazing the first time but this time after reading Eldest i was able to pick out a lot of the details in Eragon that are transfered to Eldest, and it makes it that much more enjoyable.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Christopher Paolini's Inheritance Cycle: Eldest

It is September 11th and time to move on to the the second book of the series, the Eldest. You can keep posting information on Eragon but we should start moving forward.
Contributor
Shurtugal
0 Kudos

Re: Christopher Paolini's Inheritance Cycle: Eldest

So when reading about the elves... i often find myself wishing i could travel to their forests... or acutally be an elf! i love them! Christopher does a great job with them... anyone else share this fascination?
Contributor
THE-RED-BARON
0 Kudos

I have to admit I have not given in to see the movie as all of the bad reviews on the boards here frightened me! But this book starts out with a boy named Eragon. When he found an egg which hatch into a Dragon, he was pulled into an adventure that change his life instantly. While in it, he had met some people such as Brom a so called merchant and Murtagh a mysterious warrrior. Each one has a past realted to him. With the help of hsi dragan Saphira bonded to me in a certain way, he travels to Vaden territory to take shelter against the evil king of an empire. He late discovered his true abilities in a battle to save to rebellion against the King. A very imaginative story; it seems to talk to to you in a certain way like a teacher or guide about life. It is also very emotional in some part where some of teh people closest to Eragon dies. This reminds me part of what makes a good story; something which you can make the reader relate to or feel for. It also kept you worried aobut Eragon because he was always accoplishing task that seem impossible and ended up very lucky. I really enjoyed Paolini's work!
"Words. The fancier they come, the awesomer they are."
â Edgar Allen Poe
Contributor
dragonz
0 Kudos

I agree, movie sucked. It was very inaccurate by any fantasy movie standards. Arya (an elf) did not have pointed ears. The dwarves, like Hrothgar, were not very short. maybe a few inches shorter than eragon. Saphira has feathered wings, although clearly in the book it talks about the membrane between her wing bones. Those few details are never skipped in any other movie and i don't know how the producers thought they could get away with that.

But it did have a few redeeming qualities. First of all, it helped visualize some characters. Durza, Galbatorix and Brom were just how i imagined them (except for the weird marks on Durza's face, but i liked that addition).

But one detail that skipped every else's vision was on the movie websites, posters, etc they write 'Based on the best-selling novel...." Which means they didnt have to stay with the original script, which they didnt.

But if you want some fun out of it, here's a video from youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GddubaupB0Y

Top Authors I've read: Peter benchley, Orson Scott Card, Christopher Paolini, Steve Alten, John Bytheway and JK Rowling.
Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

I know this is kind of off subject, but is anyone else going to the midnight release party at their local Barnes and Noble? Me and my friend have been making plans to go for like 2 months now, but no one else has even mentioned it... I mean no one... is this just because it's common knowledge or does no body else know about it?

if you don't know about it... some select Barnes and Noble locations are staying open late this friday so that people can buy Brisingr the minute it's released.... Literally... which basically rocks.

Just thought I'd throw that out there, just in case some unfortunate soul thought you had to wait until their local store opened on saturday to buy this little slice of heaven... :smileytongue:

Reader
coconutlight
0 Kudos

I think it's been established Eragon is a horrible movie. I was especially disappointed with the disappearance of Teirm and the so-called fortune teller instead of Angela (who is my favorite character!). I was especially outraged because I had only finished about 3/4 of Eragon when my friends dragged me to go see the movie, so when I finished it that night, I remember thinking, "woah, that was DEFINITELY not the same ending. or middle. or beginning (well... maybe a little). who would watch the movie when the book is so much better?"

I'm thinking about going to the midnight release party, but my mother must consent to pick me up when it's finished (why can't I drive without parental supervision yet?!) , so it's likely not to happen :smileysad: But suspense is always fun to live with for favorite series :smileyhappy: I'll get it Saturday. MORNING.

Who thinks Eldest is better than Eragon? I do, but only certain parts. Like, I found Roran's narrative to be among the best parts in the two books, and the battle at the end of Eldest had me more involved than the one in Eragon. But I like how Carvahall was introduced in Eragon better than all of Eldest's beginning.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." --James Dean
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

By now some of you must have read Brisingr. What did you think of it?

Paolini was a teenager when he first wrote Erogon. Have you seen a change in his writing as he has grown older? Which of the three books would you consider his best?
Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

Hey, Nadine... there's a whole hread devoted to talking about Brisingr...

just thought I'd let you know...

and I thought Brisingr was perfect in every aspect. That book was really devoted to character development, which i loved. As a reader, I now feel more connected to the characters and their personalities... I finally understand Arya! I loved that book. 

Three cheers for Brisingr! 

Correspondent
dragon560
0 Kudos

i think your right i like the movie to ,even if it wasn't much like the book but they can't put all the detail in the movie . but i think they put how eragon raised his dragon like in the book.B)
Quote-"a book always keeps something of its owner between its pages"

dragons rock~