Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Christopher Paolini's Inheritance Cycle

OK, maybe I have found something that more than two people would like to talk about. How about a September discussion of the Paolini's Inheritance Cycle.

We read and talk about Eragon from September 1 to the 10th and then Eldest from the 11 to the 20th. And then, you guessed it -- Brisingr starting on the 20th when it is released. Anyone interested in reading or rereading these books and actually having a discussion of them in September?

Just to keep us interested, B&N has a count down for the next book.

Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

Re: Christopher Paolini's Inheritance Cycle

Sounds like a plan to me. I have both on audio, haven't listened to them yet, and have a long long (12 hours each way) car trip ahead of me this weekend. I could head a good start on Eragon.
Contributor
Ariesjla
0 Kudos

:smileyhappy: I 3rd that!  i'm interested
**Saleswoman: It's the latest scent! You wear this, and you'll have to beat the men off with a stick.
**Wonder Woman: Believe me - I don't need a stick.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Nadine
0 Kudos

It appears that the movie Eragon was universally hated. Well haven't read the book yet nor seen the movie. Is this one of those cases where it might be better to see the movie before reading the book?
Contributor
Ariesjla
0 Kudos

:smileysurprised: That movie was a sacrilege....it was so bad!!! It had nothing on the book.  The only thing I liked about the movie was the dragon CGI.  Read the book first....if I didn't read it first, that movie would not have made any sense to me.
**Saleswoman: It's the latest scent! You wear this, and you'll have to beat the men off with a stick.
**Wonder Woman: Believe me - I don't need a stick.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:
It appears that the movie Eragon was universally hated. Well haven't read the book yet nor seen the movie. Is this one of those cases where it might be better to see the movie before reading the book?

Eck that movie REALLY sucked. Skip it read the books.

Reader
Silverymoon
0 Kudos

The problem with the movie was it started out with the plot of Paolini's book then took a decided detour--talk about artistic license!!!  I was disgusted when I left the movie theatre.  My husband hadn't read the book yet so he didn't understand why I was so upset.  Later, when he read the book, he understood!!!
Nadine
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

OK, maybe I have found something that more than two people would like to talk about. How about a September discussion of the Paolini's Inheritance Cycle.

We read and talk about Eragon from September 1 to the 10th and then Eldest from the 11 to the 20th. And then, you guessed it -- Brisingr starting on the 20th when it is released. Anyone interested in reading or rereading these books and actually having a discussion of them in September?

Just to keep us interested, B&N has a count down for the next book.

Well it looks like our plans for this thread were perfect timing. Paul just posted that Paolini is going to be visiting our little forum September 15-20 to discuss his books. Paul's Posting.

So let's get started on our discussion of the first book, Eragon, Monday. I have to read it for the first time and there may be a few more like me. Some others might want to reread it.

Curious slipping of the fingers. Everytime I go to type Eragon I seem to think Aragorn. Do they have anything in common? 

Frequent Contributor
hpthatbme
0 Kudos

As far as the movie goes, I tend to look at them very different than the books.  My sister and I went to see it and like many of you she was very disappointed.  However I did read both books before seeing the movie and still thought the movie was good.  I think that when we really like the books the movies never do it justice, and in Eragon there is quite a bit of information left out, but I really enjoyed some of the effects.  I will say there are others that I wished would have been better since my imagination is very over active and I felt a few things were requiring more.

Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

Eragon

[ Edited ]
I tried listening to the CD on Eragon. After the first disk I gave it up. Maybe it was the reader but I think what got to me was the over abundance of adjectives and, especialy, adverbs. It really need it a good editor who would have been willing to cross out a lot of these. The story is probably good -- I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I will try reading it instead.
Message Edited by lorien on 09-06-2008 10:44 PM
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: Eragon

lorien wrote:
I tried listening to the CD on Eragon. After the first disk I gave it up. Maybe it was the reader but I think what got to me was the over abundance of adjectives and, especialy, adverbs. It really need it a good editor who would have been willing to cross out a lot of these. The story is probably good -- I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I will try reading it instead.
Message Edited by lorien on 09-06-2008 10:44 PM

Ugh. Books on CD. I know this is a great way for busy people to consume books – while driving, riding on the subway, etc. – but I could never get into any book on CD. It just doesn't feel right to me somehow... 

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: Eragon

And, by the way, Christopher Paolini is going to be HERE in less than two weeks so PLEASE check out that thread and post any and all comments! This is a rare opportunity to ask the author himself any questions pertaining to the novels. 

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

Re: Eragon and Tolkien

[ Edited ]

Since we have a discussion of both Eragon and Tolkien going on here, I came across this quote while browsing through some background material at Wikipedia:

'Common Sense Media called Eragon's dialogue long-winded and clichéd, with a plot "straight out of Star Wars by way of The Lord of the Rings, with bits of other great fantasies thrown in here and there".'

What in Eragon seems to be taken straight out of Tolkien and specifically LOTR? I guess this could be characters as well as plots.

Message Edited by lorien on 09-07-2008 08:38 PM
Frequent Contributor
lorien
0 Kudos

I took this quote from a Review at http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/000585.html It is a very positive review of Eragon. I thought it was interesting to see the three biggies side by side.

---------------
I really wanted to footnote the above character names with the Lord of The Rings and Star Wars equivalents, but I refrained for fear of making this fantastic novel sound too derivative. Oh, what the hell: Eragon/Frodo/Luke enlists the aid of Brom/Gandalf/Obi Wan to save the land from the evil Galbatorix/Sauron/Emperor. There, now that that's off my chest, ignore it. Though there are similarities, Eragon embellishes enough to overlook those similarities and just enjoy.)

The fun part of Eragon is in the storytelling. This be the stuff of fantasy. Dragons and magic and ugly, nasty beasts (Orcs. I mean Urgals) and a beautiful Elf (Arwen. I mean Arya), a fighter with a mysterious past (Aragorn. I mean Murtagh.) dwarves, and of course super-bad evil warrior bad guys (Nazghul. I mean Shades). I particularly enjoyed the teacher/student relationship between Brom and Eragon as well as the relationship between the boy and his dragon. If there is anything negative I can say about the book it's that sometimes Eragon just seen to intuit his abilities.

---------------------------

I would like to add another question. Many people have certainly been inspired by Tolkien. Is this an asset or is does it show lack of originality? In what way is Eragon a good piece of work beyond Fan Fiction?

And one final question: Is it the new Lord of the Rings? 

Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

I actually saw the movie first and liked it. I am not liking the book as much. I am listening to it, but I often do with fastasy/sci-fi longer books or series since I am in the car a lot for work and stuff. Anyway, I guess the book strikes me as more a boys YA (which it is) than I expected. I can see why many of the students I work with who read it loved it. But it's not really for me.  
New User
RabidReader13
0 Kudos

Count me in i love the series and i hope Brisingr is as good as the rest of them
New User
RabidReader13
0 Kudos

In my opinion the movie was a slaughter of all the work that Christopher Paoloni put into the series. I also think that the movie even though it was meant for younger audiences would have to of been rated pg 13 to capture all of the details that the movie missed out on. In my opinion it could of been as good as the lord of the rings movies but they just did not put in that much effort i guess
Nadine
0 Kudos

RabidReader13 wrote:
In my opinion the movie was a slaughter of all the work that Christopher Paoloni put into the series. I also think that the movie even though it was meant for younger audiences would have to of been rated pg 13 to capture all of the details that the movie missed out on. In my opinion it could of been as good as the lord of the rings movies but they just did not put in that much effort i guess

You guys talked me out of getting the movie Eragon because you said it was terrible. But from some of the comments I've seen here and some of the reviews I've read, I wonder, is it considered substandard because it was not as good as the Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies? That is a pretty tough act to follow and be compared to!

I also can't fault a movie for deviating from a book. After all how can a two hour film be anywhere near like an 800 page book! I wonder how those of you who saw the movie before reading the book or saw only the movie feel about it? 

New User
kimmi
0 Kudos

Count me IN