Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Chronicles Of Amber by Roger Zelazny

I just got all ten books from the library to reread because it has been about 20 years since I read them.  I also got the four books that John Gregory Betancourt wrote just a few years ago in Zelazny's Amber world and was wondering if anyone has read them and how they stack up to the orginal works.  Thanks.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: Chronicles Of Amber by Roger Zelazny

Toni – I love these books! I remember when I was a kid, I manipulated my parents into letting me join some SF/fantasy book club and one of the first books I got was the Chronicles of Amber in some omnibus edition. Oh, how I loved those books! Funny thing though, if you ask me what they're specifically about, I couldn't tell you. It had to be at least 30 years ago. I'd love to read these again!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic
0 Kudos

Great books!

Just a word of advice- read the first five books, and skip the second story arc. The ones about his son are unecessary, and the ending is really lame.

Distinguished Correspondent
Sandikal
0 Kudos

I have all ten in one volume called "The Great Book of Amber".   I thought it was fun, light entertainment.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I plan on reading all of them but has anyone read the four John Gregory Betacourt finished for  Roger's estate.  No one has mentioned those and I would like to know what anyone thinks about them espceially since they were done like 7-8 years after his death.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

I plan on reading all of them but has anyone read the four John Gregory Betacourt finished for  Roger's estate.  No one has mentioned those and I would like to know what anyone thinks about them espceially since they were done like 7-8 years after his death.

Toni

ehhh  really so-so. I'd check them out of the library an not buy them though.

Not bad books. Just not Zelazny. (shrug)

Bradinator1
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Nelsmom wrote:

Toni

ehhh  really so-so. I'd check them out of the library an not buy them though.

Not bad books. Just not Zelazny. (shrug)

Got to agree with Tig. In read the first one of the betancourts and just couldn't get into it. LOVED the whole original series. I liked the set with the son also. Thought the half brother, Mandor, was cool in that set.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Thanks guys and I did check them out from the library.  Can't afford to buy them all and in the move from Iowa 7 years ago I lost my copies of the regular books.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Toni,

There's a great big fat complilation version "the Great Book of Amber" I believe it's called. Has all the original Zelazny works in it. Like $20 in paperback I think.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog