Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic
0 Kudos

Cliches you like or don't mind

However many fantasy books I read, I will never get tired of the "child with special powers grows up to fulfill X destiny" trope.

Also, ancient prophecies about the chosen one. As long as the chosen one isn't actually referred to in the book as The Chosen One, because that would be too cheesy.

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Re: Cliches you like or don't mind

To even speak the name of the villian... He Who Shall Not be Named..  is to give him power

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Frequent Contributor
foureyed
0 Kudos

The young, clever thief who pull Our Hero/Heroes/Heroine out of jams with his brains and shady skills. (Jimmy the Hand springs to mind)
If ignorance is bliss, then Washington D.C. is the Happiest Place on Earth!
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

foureyed wrote:
The young, clever thief who pull Our Hero/Heroes/Heroine out of jams with his brains and shady skills. (Jimmy the Hand springs to mind)

Foyreyed you took the words right out of my mind.  The one you don't think would be able to do it because they are the poor one that noone thought could do anything.  And Jimmy the Hand is on the top of that list.  Awesome character...

Mel

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Contributor
qarae
0 Kudos

The innocent farm boy winning the heart of the princess.
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Magic implements for the hero/heroine that have negative effects to go with the positive effects (Swords, spears, staffs, a Magic 8 Ball, etc), ala Stormbringer from Elric.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Frequent Contributor
lordfeyr
0 Kudos

I will never get tired of the crazy old wizard who always has something wise to say that only later you realize what it was he meant.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic
0 Kudos

I forgot to add the mother of fantasy cliches- the epic war between good and evil, during which the fate of the whole world hangs in balance.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Raven_Lunatic wrote:
I forgot to add the mother of fantasy cliches- the epic war between good and evil, during which the fate of the whole world hangs in balance.

Bingo! You know, this cliche doesn't bother me unless it's so thinly veiled to be obvious in the first few pages. If it's intermeshed in a compelling and intricate storyline, then I'm okay with it...

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

For some reason I never get tired of having a "berserker" in a party of heroes. Watching one go nuts and wipe the floor with bad guys is always fun for me. I know this is a little shallow, it's kinda like watching "Roadhouse" w/ Patrick Swayze, you know it's just gratuitous violence but it's still fun!

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
paulgoatallen

Bradinator1 wrote:

For some reason I never get tired of having a "berserker" in a party of heroes. Watching one go nuts and wipe the floor with bad guys is always fun for me. I know this is a little shallow, it's kinda like watching "Roadhouse" w/ Patrick Swayze, you know it's just gratuitous violence but it's still fun!

Brad:

The term "berserker" has a very menacing sound to it, which I've always loved. There's a lot of power and intensity in that word. If an axe-wielding wildman was called a "spaz," for example, it would change the entire ambiance of the storyline.

"....surrounded by dozens of bloodthirsty goblins, the spaz re-adjusted his pocket protector, took a deep blast from his inhaler, and unsheathed his switchblade comb..."

See? Not as cool...     :smileywink: 

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

the smallest member is the bravest

the wizard is the funny one, due to really being somewhere else in the mind

the dwarf is always grumpy

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

the smallest member is the bravest

the wizard is the funny one, due to really being somewhere else in the mind

Sounds like my in-laws...

Paul 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

..Except when he's Sleepy or Dopey.