Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Cover Art: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

This thread seems to be doing well over in Paranormal so here is its Fantasy/SF counterpart:

One topic that always seems to come up when we're discussing new releases – ANY release, for that matter – is the significance of cover art. Good cover art can mean the difference between a bestseller and a flop. There's no doubt about it – bad cover art can doom a great novel and great cover art can make a mediocre novel a bestseller. We've had some exceptionally good – and exceptionally bad – cover art in fantasy and SF over the last few years and I thought it would be nice to give kudos to some of the very best of the best.

What are some covers that have just blown you away? My all-time favorite is the cover art for an old edition of Michael Moorcock's Elric. Let me see if I can find it on the Internet...

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: Cover Art: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Here it is – the cover art from the 1977 DAW paperback edition of Elric with cover art by the legendary Michael Whelan. To me, this is everything cover art should be – it's compelling, it's mesmerizing and it truly is a work of "art." There have been literally hundreds of artistic interpretations of Elric but for me, nothing comes closer than this. The cover is my nomination for the best SF/Fantasy cover art.

The image “http://www.stormbringer.net/images/elric/elric11.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I loved the orginal covers for Urusla Le Guin's Earthsea Trilogy.  Not saying the ones today aren't good it just seems like they have lost some of the charm of the orginals.

I also like the covers for Andre Norton's Witch World series.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Here it is – the cover art from the 1977 DAW paperback edition of Elric with cover art by the legendary Michael Whelan. To me, this is everything cover art should be – it's compelling, it's mesmerizing and it truly is a work of "art." There have been literally hundreds of artistic interpretations of Elric but for me, nothing comes closer than this. The cover is my nomination for the best SF/Fantasy cover art.

Paul,

The one for "Sailor on the Seas of Fate" was better. All Micheal Whelan art wasn't it? I always liked the Hildebrandt brothers art also. They did some nice Tolkien stuff and the original art for Sword of Shannara. The cover of McKillips "Heir of Sea and Fire" by Darrell K. Sweet was a nice one also. Let's not forget Frazetta's "Deathdealer" on the Molly Hatchett album covers, lol!

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic
0 Kudos

I absolutely love the cover for Mercedes Lackey's Reserved for the Cat.

I can't seem to post the image, though.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Bradinator1 wrote:

The one for "Sailor on the Seas of Fate" was better. All Micheal Whelan art wasn't it? I always liked the Hildebrandt brothers art also. They did some nice Tolkien stuff and the original art for Sword of Shannara. The cover of McKillips "Heir of Sea and Fire" by Darrell K. Sweet was a nice one also. Let's not forget Frazetta's "Deathdealer" on the Molly Hatchett album covers, lol!

Brad:

Yeah, the Sailor on the Seas of Fate cover was fantastic too. I love all the Hildebrandt stuff – remember the fold-out poster in the original Sword of Shannara? Classic artwork, that. And, geez, Frazetta....no comment needed there.

Paul 

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 01-29-2009 06:28 PM
Frequent Contributor
VTfan
0 Kudos

I think Frank Kelly Freas did some interesting stuff.  But it was for the Boris Vallejo covers that I bought Tarzan books I already had copies of.
Frequent Contributor
foureyed
0 Kudos

On the Baen Books Site, in March there in an anthology of stories by Christopher Anvil coming in February, where the Felinoid creature on the cover, looks like a heavy metal guitarist. He is actually holding a gun of some sort, but the pose makes me think of James Hetfield in a Catsuit...    I think it's funny...but then I am a bit weird.
If ignorance is bliss, then Washington D.C. is the Happiest Place on Earth!
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Maybe this is an "I'm freaking old" realization but is it me or does the SF/fantasy cover art from the 70s and 80s totally kick butt on the cover art of today? I just went through a bunch of my old books and realized how many awesome covers there were back then. Does anyone have my back on this statement or am I just getting crotchedy?

Paul 

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Paul,

I've got your back on this one.  I think that they are trying to make them too romancy today though I have to say that Marcus Pelegramas's book Blood Black has a pretty good cover.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Frequent Contributor
lordfeyr
0 Kudos

My two favorite artists for cover art are:

Whelan and Sweet

The cover to the Path of Daggers is one of the nicest looking images I can think of.  Rand leading his army but if you open up the book to look at the back side you see a ruin showing a statue of Lews Therin wearing the same crown and holding the same sword as Rand... Beautiful. 

Below is a scan of a 2001 Wheel of Time Calendar I have showing the whole image but it was bigger than the scanner so it didnt quite fit and the lighting is off a bit.

[IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c149/lordfeyr/pathofdaggersscan.jpg[/IMG]

Whelans covers for the coldfire trilogy are amazing as well.

[IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c149/lordfeyr/coldfire.jpg[/IMG]