Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

DECEMBER FEATURE #1: Seed by Rob Ziegler

• Seed
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: DECEMBER FEATURE #1: Seed by Rob Ziegler

Okay, I'm a CRAZY fan of apocalyptic fiction and I have been waiting for this one for almost a year – when I heard about this book – Ziegler's debut novel – I immediately thought of Bacigalupi's debut The Windup Girl, which won the Hugo. A few noteworthy things here – it's from Night Shade Books (and they are impeccable) and it's a debut. I have a really good feeling about this one.

Here is the synopsis:

It''s the dawn of the 22nd century, and the world has fallen apart. Decades of war and resource depletion have toppled governments. The ecosystem has collapsed. A new dust bowl sweeps the American West. The United States has become a nation of migrants -starving masses of nomads who seek out a living in desert wastelands and encampments outside government seed-distribution warehouses.

In this new world, there is a new power. Satori is more than just a corporation, she is an intelligent, living city that grew out of the ruins of Denver. Satori bioengineers both the climate-resistant seed that feeds a hungry nation, and her own post-human genetic Designers, Advocates, and Laborers. What remains of the United States government now exists solely to distribute Satori seed; a defeated American military doles out bar-coded, single-use Satori seed to the nation''s starving citizens.

When one of Satori''s Designers goes rogue, Agent Sienna Doss-Ex-Army Ranger turned glorified bodyguard-is tasked by the government to bring her in: The government wants to use the Designer to break Satori''s stranglehold on seed production and reassert themselves as the center of power.

Sianna Doss''s search for the Designer intersects with Brood and his younger brother Pollo - orphans scrapping by on the fringes of the wastelands. Pollo is abducted, because he is believed to suffer from Tet, a newly emergent disease, the victims of which are harvested by Satori.

As events spin out of control, Brood and Sienna Doss find themselves at the heart of Satori, where an explosive climax promises to reshape the future of the world.

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
0 Kudos

I noticed that one of the December releases was published by Night Shade, but I didn't get beyond that. (A post apocalyptic setting isn't exactly an upbeat, holiday milieu.) Since you featured Seed this month, I'll give it whirl.:smileyhappy:

P.S. I might not get around to reading it until after Christmas though. 

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

dalnewt wrote:

I noticed that one of the December releases was published by Night Shade, but I didn't get beyond that. (A post apocalyptic setting isn't exactly an upbeat, holiday milieu.) Since you featured Seed this month, I'll give it whirl.:smileyhappy:

P.S. I might not get around to reading it until after Christmas though. 

Yes, this is a crazy time time of year – I have to get caught up on the handful of 2011 releases that I have yet to read. Then it's Year's Best time!!!

Paul

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Really LOVED this one – it turned out not to really be an "apocalyptic fiction" novel per se – I would call it more of a dystopia, very similar to Paolo Bacigalupi's The Windup Girl – which won the Hugo!

It's set in the 22nd century and is set in a brilliantly described America that has essentially crumbled – the government distributes seed to the masses of nomadic migrants. Satori is a bioarchitecture corporation that manufactures bioengineered seeds – and bioengineered humans – but Satori is also a living city (old Denver) and a godlike entity.

The storyline is impressively thick – the government wants to get in on Satori's action and is plotting its downfall. The millions of starving dispossessed want what Satori has, and an enlightened child of Satori understands the corporation's ultimate mission and defects to begin again.

This is Ziegler's debut novel and I really loved his writing style, particularly the vivid imagery. Here is an example:

"Philly's deserted burbs spread out around them like crumbling termite colonies."

There was some profound philosophy in this as well:

"...we need to change ourselves. Not morally or ethically. Fundamentally."

Ziegler's style is comparable to Bacigalupi's – and that is a big compliment. I'm not real sure about this storyline expanding into a second book – the ending is very satisfying – but Ziegler has left the door open so it'll be interesting if there is a sequel!

Paul

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

SPOILER ALERT!

I just finished Seed this weekend, and I felt a little unsatisfied by the ending, possibly because I missed something.  What happened to all of the Tet-contaminated seed?  I understood that the entire final shipment (final, that is, before Pihadassa left)  was contaminated, so (1) is Satori, once it merged with Pollo, now creating new uncontaminated seed, and (2) are all of the migrants who have planted the contaminated supply going to die once they harvest the vegetables?