Contributor
cfite
0 Kudos

Desperate to find a I book read as a child!

I read a book as a young child, probably around the age of 9 or 10 (1980 or so), that has forever been in my memory. I cannot, for the life of me, recall the title or author. It would have been something I checked out at my public school library.

I can recall it centering around a tower of some sort. I can see the tower in my mind's eye. So, not sure if a tower was on the cover of the book or the description of the tower in the story brought it to life.

In the book, children visited a tower that had some magical qualities. The children traveled through time to another land. Looking back, I cannot recall however if they traveled back or forward in time.

I can remember it was quite adventurous and captivating. Unfortunately, I am at a loss when it comes to recalling anything else. I would like to go back and reread this book and possibly pass it on to my 10-year-old daughter who is an avid Sci-Fi reader.

I have searched online for this book, only to come up empty-handed. Not being able to recall the title, author or any other part of the book, I've often wondered...did I dream this???

If anyone has any clue as to what book this might have been, I would greatly appreciate the ideas.

Thanks in advance!
C.Fite

"The thing under my bed waiting to grab my ankle isn't real. I know that, and I also know that if I'm careful to keep my foot under the covers, it will never be able to grab my ankle." - Stephen King, in the foreword of Night Shift.
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

Re: Desperate to find a I book read as a child!

Here are two close matches:

• Over Sea, Under Stone and/or the rest of The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper
  • The Silver Crown
"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -- Amelia Earhart
May the Force of Fashion Sense be With You!! :smileyvery-happy:
Contributor
cfite
0 Kudos

Thanks for your suggestions. I will look these up and have a look. Much appreciation to you!
C.Fite

"The thing under my bed waiting to grab my ankle isn't real. I know that, and I also know that if I'm careful to keep my foot under the covers, it will never be able to grab my ankle." - Stephen King, in the foreword of Night Shift.
Contributor
cfite
0 Kudos

Although these look like great books, they are not the one I read as a child.

The Dark is Rising series look like a wonderful set of books to read. I will look them up at our local library for my daughter. I think she will like these!

Thanks so much!

Anyone else have any suggestions?
C.Fite

New User
NekoAstrid
0 Kudos

I would say the book your looking for is " the seventh tower" but I'm not completely sure. but you can check if you like. If it's not, I recomend going to Yahoo answers and posting your question and a description. People usually get back to you pretty quick.

astrid
Contributor
cfite
0 Kudos

Re: Desperate to find a book I read as a child!

Astrid,

I will look up The Seventh Tower. I will also take your suggestion about posting my question on Yahoo.

The more I think about this, the more I want to find the book.

Thank you for your suggestions!
C.Fite

Reader
hazel326
0 Kudos

Have you looked at the Edward Eager books?  Knight's Castle may be the one that you referenced.

V
Frequent Contributor
Regric
0 Kudos

I am wracking my brain (as we are in roughly the same age bracket)...

Was it a series of books?

The Dark is Rising series is one that'll stick with you...okay, it stuck with me.

So, too, did the Madeline L'Engle series that starts with _A Wrinkle in time_ ... that deals some with time travel, big adventures...but I cannot remember if there was a tower involved.

Can you remember anything else...what country...character's name...

:smileyhappy:

puzzling...puzzling...

-Regina
Contributor
cfite
0 Kudos

Thanks for your suggestions Hazel 326 and Regina! I have looked up both of your ideas. The Edward Eager book above mentions the children experiencing Robin Hood and Ivanhoe in their travels...I don't recall that detail. Probably not this book.

Regina, would you believe it that I never read A Wrinkle in Time! I even have the book in my library...I know, what a crime! However, after researching to find out if this was the book, I have decided to read it...finally! Then I will pass it onto my daughter.

I don't see any mention of a tower in either of the books or on the covers.

I am so appreciative of both of your ideas...thanks!

I am seriously considering that I may have dreamed this scenario!
C.Fite

Frequent Contributor
Regric
0 Kudos

No, I don't think you dreamed it...I've a vague memory of a time travel book like what you're describing...and its now bugging me.

I may go hit the used book store in town...it may be hiding there.
Inspired Contributor
julia823
0 Kudos

Did you try  A Wrinkle in Time its about children traveling in time so give that a shot. if that doesnt work then i got nothing. :smileywink:
" Its a quarter after one i'm all alone and i need you now i said i wouldnt come but i lost all control and i need you now and i dont know how i can do without i just need you now"
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

I seem to remember a Barbra Hambly series that involved a tower used in time and travel. But the titles escape me and I no longer have copies.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Wrinkle In Time does have a tower in it at least that was what it seemed like to me.  Also in the movie the place the children traveled to appeared to be a tower.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Contributor
cfite
0 Kudos

You're kidding? A tower? Is is possible that A Wrinkle in Time is the book! I am pulling it off the shelf and reading it asap! I picked the book up at our scholastic book fair for my daughter.

I'll get back with ya'll!

Thanks!!!
C.Fite

Contributor
cfite
0 Kudos

Tigger Bear,

I looked up Barbara Hambly. It seems she did have a series involving a tower. However, this series began in 1986, which puts me at 15 then. I was younger when I read the book I am speaking of. I want to say I was about 10 or so when I read the book. That would have been in 1981.

On another subject, I just realized my typo in the post title was never corrected! Sorry 'bout the typo everyone.
C.Fite

Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Hello, cfite ! ---

Perhaps "Knight's Castle" is not the particular book you are searching for, but I still recall the

Edward Eager series of children's books with fondness from my own youth, also around the time I was ten years old ( but that was back in the last half of the 1960's ) ---

The kind of "Time Travel" in those books was more in the vein of "stepping into the ( mostly literary in nature ) Land of Legends" rather than travelling to actual ( and more realistic ) historical situations -

The stories involved a family of children ( boys and girls ) who seemed to have the knack for falling into magical worlds, and then back again, into the normal, everyday world ---

As I recall, these books were a lot of fun - "Half Magic" is the title of another one in the series -

About the time I was reading these books, "A Wrinkle In Time" was considered to be a very highly rated,

"must read" type book for us kids - but I never got around to reading it, either! ---

Ardo Whortleberry

"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry