Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
barron262
0 Kudos

Dies the Fire

Has anyone read the Dies the Fire series by S.M Stirling? I love post apocalyptic fantasy books does anyone know of others in that style that I can pick up?
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Re: Dies the Fire

Dies the Fire is a very good series and I've enjoyed it (need to pick up the latest one, though). Terry Brooks has "Armegeddon's Children" which is the start of a prequel to his Shannara series and has that post apocalyptic setting. For fantasy and a little further forward after the apocalypse try Michael Moorcock's  Hawkmoon series ("Jewel in the Skull" is the first book).

B.

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Contributor
barron262
0 Kudos

Bradinator wrote:

Dies the Fire is a very good series and I've enjoyed it (need to pick up the latest one, though). Terry Brooks has "Armegeddon's Children" which is the start of a prequel to his Shannara series and has that post apocalyptic setting. For fantasy and a little further forward after the apocalypse try Michael Moorcock's  Hawkmoon series ("Jewel in the Skull" is the first book).

B.

Sweet thanks for the info, I am waiting for the book #2 of the 2nd series from Dies the Fire it comes out in September. It starts about 10 years or so later and the children of the main characters go on a adventure so far its really good. 

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Second one is already out in paperback- "Pretenders War" , it's the 3rd one that's coming up, I believe.
"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Contributor
barron262
0 Kudos

Bradinator wrote:
Second one is already out in paperback- "Pretenders War" , it's the 3rd one that's coming up, I believe.

Oh Ive already finished that series. Meeting in Corvallis is the last book in that series and it too is in paperback. Im talking about the Sunset Lands, which is 10 years after Meeting in Corvallis. Based around the kids of the McKenzies, Bear Killers and the Portland Protective Assoction and the journey they have to take. I dont want to spoil to much but lets say there is a new enemy threatening the Willamette valley. It get much better after Dies the Fire and really starts to pick up.
New User
Faloma
0 Kudos

I recently read the first book, Dies in a Fire. I enjoyed it. I had a couple problems with how the death of tech was describe, like how some simple machines worked and others didn't, But I understood what he wanted do so I gladly looks around that. I also am a big fan of post apocalyptic genre.  Another book I read recently that I like in this genre was EE Knight's Vampire Earth series. Basically an alien race subjugates earth (they have vampiric traits) and a few pockets of resistance fight for their freedom.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Love them, I have the first three in paperback.  I'm sure most of you have, but has anyone read The Road by Cormac McCarthy.  I've heard good things and kept meaning to read it but haven't yet.  Is it worth reading?

barron262 wrote:
Has anyone read the Dies the Fire series by S.M Stirling? I love post apocalyptic fantasy books does anyone know of others in that style that I can pick up?

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
dhaupt
0 Kudos

I personally really enjoyed Dies The Fire, it is how I hope that civilization would act if something catastrophic happened where most people would make sacrifices for others and would be benevolent and of course there's always those who take power for there own devices but those could be conquered. Hmmm does that say I'm a dreamer, you bet. And that's why I hated The Road, that authors look into a post apocalyptic world made me hate the lack of humanity in the book. The book made me feel very hopeless even though at the end the boy did find a sanctuary of sorts.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Haven't read them yet but if I ever get caught up with what I'm reading now and the library has them in I will have to read them.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
 I have the Dies the Fire series and was going to lend the series to my Brother-in-Law because I have so many books to read, maybe I should read them first and then pass them on to him.
Message Edited by PhyllisJ on 11-21-2008 08:14 PM
Phyllis
Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

We all loved Dies The Fire - we are all Wiccans, and felt very proud of the fact that the Wiccans conducted themselves so well and prospered. (That's the way Wicca works, you see.)

There are more of us than you think.