Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic
0 Kudos

Discworld: Do you prefer serious or silly?

It seems to me that the legions of Terry Pratchett fans are divided into two camps. One group reads Discworld books for Pratchett's philosophical ideas. These readers tend to be disappointed by his more humor-oriented books, and have a special loathing for Rincewind. Their favorite characters are Granny Weatherwax or Sam Vimes.

The other group reads Discworld because it's funny. They love the sheer silliness of, say, Eric or Weird Sisters. They are impatient with the philosophical meanderings of a Day in the Life of Sam Vimes, but feel right at home among the zany politics of UU.

All admit that I'm in the latter camp. I picked up The Fifth Elephant in a book store in Jerusalem, laughed until my ribs hurt, went back the next day and bought Eric... Hello, my name is Raven Lunatic and I am a Dicsworld addict.

Not that I can't appreciate some good, serious philosophy- the DEATH series seems to strike the balance between deepness and entertainment- but I find some of it to be heavy-handed and repetitious. The whole bit about Samuel Vimes fighting his inner psychotic thug- he's been having the same moral dilemma since Men at Arms. Of course, that's just my opinion. Which type do you prefer?

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: Discworld: Do you prefer serious or silly?

Raven:

I love the Discworld saga because Pratchett can be off-the-wall funny a la Monty Python's Flying Circus AND thematically profound at times. I think that's the beauty of Discworld – insane and insightful. :smileyhappy:

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Raven:

I love the Discworld saga because Pratchett can be off-the-wall funny a la Monty Python's Flying Circus AND thematically profound at times. I think that's the beauty of Discworld – insane and insightful. :smileyhappy:

Paul 

Raven,

Got to agree with Paul, but for me, I'm here for the laughs. There's nothing like wizards trying to lever a cannonball out of cannon and getting a staff wedged in it, The Silver Horde whupping a load of ninjas, Greebo eating a vampire in bat form, Detritus' "peacemaker", Granny playing "Cripple Mr. Onion" with riverboat gamblers, etc. Oh I get there is some wonderful life philosophy in it, but man, that stuff is FUNNY! When they said Pratchett had early onset Alzheimers, I nearly cried. The man is a genius, and my life would be a duller, less colorful place without these books. The unfortunate part is that I'm hard pressed to find anyone else writing comedic sci/fi fantasy. John Moore is starting to come on with "Heroics for Beginners" and "Bad Prince Charlie" but that's the only one I can think of. I used to love Nigel Fenn's "Kent Montana" series, but I haven't seen anything from him in years.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic
0 Kudos

John Moore came out with another book? Thanks, I've got to check it out!

Er, back on subject.

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Bradinator wrote:

The unfortunate part is that I'm hard pressed to find anyone else writing comedic sci/fi fantasy.

You might enjoy some of Diana Wynne Jones' books, such as The Tough Guide to Fantasyland or Deep Secret. Much of her work is written for a somewhat younger audience than Pratchett's, but it's still very good writing, very smart, and often very funny.

Message Edited by Jon_B on 10-20-2008 12:19 PM

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Being firmly in the Rincewind's camp.

(shaking head) That's actually a large part, besides the slapstick, that I find funny in Pratchett's books the juxtaposition of philosophical ideas with irony.

They're pure farse in the truest sense.

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Raven_Lunatic wrote:

John Moore came out with another book? Thanks, I've got to check it out!

Er, back on subject.

Raven,

Total of 3 now, I believe. There's one about a frog I can't recall the name of , "Bad Prince Charlie", "Heroics For Beginners". The last 2 I read. Cracked me up.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog