Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1

Discworld Primer - The BIG list

Seen a lot of interested parties for Sir Terry's works, but since there's a LOT of books in this series you need a map to find a starting place. Consider this yer Discworld GPS. I'm going from memory here so if I miss something feel free to make fun of me and let me know what's what. I have not included the YA books (I don't anything about them except "Where's My Cow") Shown below in order by main characters:

For Rincewind the Wizzard (intentional misspell)- *The Color of Magic (this book is the start of everything, the very first book that released)*, Light Fantastic, Sourcery, The Lost Continent, Interesting Times

For Lancre Witches (Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg)- Equal Rites, Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad, Lords and Ladies, Maskerade, Carpe Jugulum

For Sam Vimes and the Watch- Guards, Guards , Men At Arms, Jingo, Feet of Clay, Fifth Elephant, Thud, Night Watch

For DEATH and Susan (his grandaughter)- Mort, Reaper Man, Soul Music, Hogfather, Thief of Time

For Moist von Lipwig- Going Postal, Making Money

Standalone (characters/places only appear once, can be read in any order)- Small Gods, Pyramids, Moving Pictures, Monsterous Regiment, The Truth

I hope this helps, folks! If you haven't read these, you are missing out!  

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Re: Discworld Primer - The BIG list

Thanks Brad,

I needed a map to help me get around.  I am now a proud owner of the first book on the list by Sir Terry, The Color of Magic.  I will be starting the first one shortly.

Thank you for the list.  It appears it is well needed!!

Mel

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Okay... I will admit there are times when I am a little slow.  I think this is one of them...

I am reading The Color of Magic and just got the inn-sewer-ants comment.  I must have read it about 5 times before it dawned on me.  LOL!!  Daaaaaa (with a smack on the forehead)

I was so excited I got it I just had to comment.  I do enjoy the dry humor in the book so far.

Mel

Message Edited by Melhay on 03-20-2009 08:34 AM

Reader 2
Bradinator2

Melhay wrote:

Okay... I will admit there are times when I am a little slow.  I think this is one of them...

I am reading The Color of Magic and just got the inn-sewer-ants comment.  I must have read it about 5 times before it dawned on me.  LOL!!  Daaaaaa (with a smack on the forehead)

I was so excited I got it I just had to comment.  I do enjoy the dry humor in the book so far.

Mel

Message Edited by Melhay on 03-20-2009 08:34 AM

I love when Death hands him the match at the Mended Drum. Cracked me up!

Brad

"3 books?! Nobody said anything about 3 books! Do I take all books or 1 book?" - Ashe from "Army of Darkness"
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

He does have an odd way of making things strangely and humorously blend together.

It is an enjoyable read, good fun.

Mel

Inspired Contributor
Kimbeey13
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks so much! I've wanted to read the DiscWorld series for awhile now, but had no clue on where to start and this is a great help!

Message Edited by Kimbeey13 on 03-30-2009 09:16 AM
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Kim,

Yer welcome! We love to have new converts! If yer having a bad day, just pick one of these up, it'll change.

Brad

And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Adding "Unseen Acamdemicals" to the list. This one is Unseen University Wizard based. Soccer...Ankh-Morpork Premier League style.

Brad

Contributor
bruce61813
0 Kudos

I have randomly read the Discworld books, but lately they have been a serious, well it is a word, project. I have also dug up the DVD's and am at the present watching 'Hogwatch', anyone going to undertake that should be ready for a marathon. It is about 3 to 4 hours long, but divided in two parts. It would be a great Christmas Eve movie....

I am glad I found this group.

Bruce

New User
Pixie_Lated
0 Kudos

oh thank god! I've been reading the Discworld books for a while, and had pretty much given up on finding any real chronology to them. It was bugging me in ALL kinds of ways.

"I don't care what is written about me as long as it isn't true" ~ Dorothy Parker
Reader 2
kanjip

I found the Discworld in high school with "The Last Continent" I then found out that "The color of magic" was out of print and i could not find a copy for a few years till it was reprinted and by then I had read my way trough every one I could get my hands on. I did not read them in order till collage when I finally found The color of magic back in print and by then i had got to know the world of the Disc. here is a great link to Terry Pratchett's website that gives a bit about all of the books and there themes : http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/discworld/themes.html