Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Ender's Game

Has anybody seen the new "Ender's Game" movie with Harrison Ford?  What did you think?

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

Re: Ender's Game

I saw it in IMAX this weekend.  An Extended Edition must surely come out on Blu-ray to fill in some holes but overall I thought it was the best adaptation of a science fiction novel that I've ever seen.  Having Orson Scott Card on the production team surely helped.

It was extremely faithful to the book although the compressed timespan probably hurt people who hadn't read the book.  I expect it really needs another hour of footage, the same way Jackson's extended versions of The Lord of the Rings movies explained things better.

I suppose they chose to name the enemy "Formics" instead of "Buggers" in order to distinguish it from "Starship Troopers".  Probably a smart decision, I hated what Verhoeven did to Heinlein's classic.

They managed to keep the actor looking scrawny even though he clearly wasn't the smallest child in the lot.
Harrison Ford did great as Colonel Graff and I loved how they depicted the Battle Room.  Really really well done.

The only part that threw me was calling him Andrew Ender Wiggin and attributing a quote to A. E. Wiggin.  I thought they could have easily explained "Ender" was a nickname:

"Must you call him that stupid nickname?"  Mother began to cry.
"That's the name he calls himself."

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

I thought that the name "Formics" was actually used by Card in the original books.  No? 

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Formics has used, as well as the derogatory Buggers.

I think they kept the more formal to (slightly) avoid any association with Heinlein's bugs, but more due to the term "bugger" being slightly profane/insulting reference in some English-speaking regions and a more profane reference on the level of the f-word in others.

Given the unavoidable controversy surrounding Card's opinions/political stance on homosexuals and gay marriage, it's logical why they sidestepped where they could.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Considering the fact that the word is used by some as a derogatory term for homosexual men, and to others is just a casual generic insult, I suspect it would have invited at least snickers and giggles among British or other foreign audiences, and the last thing you want your audience to do in a serious movie is snicker.  I can't recall that the term "formic" appears at all in the original series.  Maybe it was added in the Ender's Shadow books?  I haven't read them.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

I read all of the "Ender" books shortly after they were published, so I am not certain of which book I read it in, but I am fairly certain that I read the term "Formic" in at least one of the books.  I no longer possess any of the books, so I am not able to search for the term. 

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

I have the first three loaded on my Nook.  The word "formic" does not appear in Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, or Xenocide.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Hmm.  Okay.  I wonder where I read it ...

Maybe it was the book about Bean.  Did you read that one?

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ahh.  I found it.  It was introduced in the book "Ender's Shadow" in 1999:

"The term "Formic" is derived from formica, the Latin word for ant; whereas "bugger" is a pejorative used by humans; yet it was not until 1999's Ender's Shadow that the term 'Formic' was first used, interchangeably with 'Bugger'. Later books used 'Formic' almost exclusively, as the more 'scientific' term. This leads to odd scenarios in the continuity of the books, such as Valentine referring to them as "Buggers" in Ender's Game, chronologically next as "Formics" in Ender in Exile, and again as "Buggers" in Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide. The feature film adaptation of Ender's Game uses "Formics" exclusively."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formics

ETA: It's good to know that my memory is still working, somewhat ... :smileywink: