Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Ender's Game

I recently read (or suffered) through this book for book club. What did you think of it? What did you think of the next books? Discussion?
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Frequent Contributor
LeisureSuitLarry
0 Kudos

Re: Ender's Game

agnijay wrote:
I recently read (or suffered) through this book for book club. What did you think of it? What did you think of the next books? Discussion?

I loved Ender's Game. I had to be forced to read it, but I'm glad I did.

As for my opinion on the next books, it sort of depends on which branch of the series you mean. There's the branch that follows Ender that starts with Speaker for the Dead and a branch that follows Bean, one of his contemporaries at Battle School, starting with Ender's Shadow. I couldn't get into Speaker, so I don't know how that branch turned out. I loved the books about Bean though.
New User
Warren_xxx
0 Kudos

I LOVE Ender's Game
As with normal books it just flies by.I was also Forced to read it and after the 1 chpt. I was glad I started
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Yeah, for me it was the opposite. Don't think that I'll continue with the series.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Contributor
bridgeto
0 Kudos

Ender's Game and the rest of the books in the series are the best science fiction books I've ever read! They set the stage for a world at war who are using children to fight it for them. The books really get into politics and how people act during times of war. They also are a great look at different people around the globe and tolerance. I dunno but they will always have a place in my heart. -B
New User
marilady
0 Kudos

I agree wholeheartedly! I especially love the anthropological parts of Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide (since that was my college major). There is a lot of social commentary in these books that is relevant today. Though I do love these books, I have always found the people as written to lack some warmth. Maybe it's the dialogue.
Contributor
DaveLo
0 Kudos

I read this a few years ago, after hearing great things about it for many years. I was disappointed by Ender's Game. I'll crib from my review of it on another book site;

-it's a good book, imaginative, original ideas, thought provoking - but also more than a little boring. The premise of the book is that the child Ender is the ultimate weapon in a savage war with the mysterious Buggers. Unfortunately the story never really delves into the Buggers or combat with them except in a really abstract manner. I don't want to spoil the story so I won't go into more detail about that aspect of the story.

What you get with this interesting book is lots and lots of psychology, lots of soul searching, lots of dialog and a minimum of any real conflict. The majority of the plot deals with Ender's training in a military school. There are some interesting wargames that take place and a few shocking incidents that show just how high stakes the games these children play really are.

I found the best thing this book did was make me feel very sad for the boy Ender. There are some moving parts that deal with his isolation and the difficulty of being different from the other kids. There are some emotional parts in the book that helped bring it above the level of run-of-the-mill SF, along with some compelling concepts, but overall I have reservations about this book. It's a good story, certainly better than many, but not as great as a lot of the reviews would lead you to believe-
"I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them."
- Ian L. Fleming (1908-1964)
Frequent Contributor
quidditchpro
0 Kudos

Literally without question one of the best books that I have ever read.

The rest of the series (both the Ender books and the Bean books) are good and very worth reading, but they are more typical sci-fi adventure (especially the Bean books, the Ender books are still fairly psycological).  Ender's Game, however is far more, and like I said, one of the best books I've ever read.
Correspondent
ParkerS17
0 Kudos

I pretty much forced myself to read Speaker for the Dead because of how much I enjoyed Ender's game.  It actually turned out to be pretty good, but it was not as good as the first book.  I started the next one in the series, but I gave up on it and I can't even remember the name of it right now.

Speaker for the Dead explores some interesting themes and has a powerful message, but it's not as entertaining as Ender's Game in my opinion at least.

Hands, like secrets, are the hardest thing to keep from you
Lines and phrases, like knives, your words can cut me through
Dismantle me down (repair) you dismantle me, you dismantle me
New User
Warrenluff
0 Kudos

I also loved Ender's game

My half-brother gave it to me for Christmas and 5 books and a week later I read it.In truth I kept reading because it fascinated me.It got better,obviously.There is nothing else for me to say except that I have already read it about 5 times since last Christmas.I tried to continue the series and failed. It seemed to get duller as each book continued.