Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Re: Epic Mystery/Adventure Fantasy Books Suggestions

Nadine wrote:

I know some of us don't have all the time we would like to have to read and the reading load makes a big difference in what is possible. So I've put together our "reading load" so those of you with limited time can figure out if you can manage it. Except for October, our reading load would average about 30-35 pages per day. If Beyond the Shadows runs much too long we could slip some of it into November.

Here is what the reading load for my proposed schedule would be:

July - Total reading 1,000 pages.
1 - Warbreaker (600 pages)
2 - The Sword of Shannara (400 pages)

August - Total reading 1,100 pages
1 - The Name of the Wind (700 pages)
2 - The Elfstone of Shannara (400 pages)

September - Total reading 1,100 pages
1 - The Wishsong of Shannara (400 pages)
2 - The Way of the Shadows (700 pages)

October - Total Reading 1,400 pages
1. The Edge of Night (700 pages)
2. Beyond the Shadow (700 pages)

November
1. Canticle (400 pages)
2 - ?

I think this looks good, Nadine. It looks manageable and like you said, if we need to we can always run a little longer. What about you, Mel? Does everything look good to you?

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

In November we will be doing Canticle by Ken Scholes (won't we Paul?!)

Is the Pope Catholic?!?      :smileywink:

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen

Also, just to muddy the waters here, that new Joe Abercrombie book, Best Served Cold ,  that I mentioned a while back just got a starred review in PW. That's noteworthy....

Best Served Cold Joe Abercrombie. Orbit, $24.99 (512p) ISBN 978-0-316-04496-7

Abercrombie returns to the blood-drenched arena of the First Law trilogy (The Blade Itself, etc.) with this skillfully crafted and bleakly humorous sword and sorcery adventure. Duke Orso imagines that he can become king by ending the civil wars that have devastated Styria, but he errs by trying to kill his overly popular general, mercenary Monza Murcatto. Recovering from her massive injuries and mourning her murdered brother, Monza vows vengeance on Orso and half a dozen of his accomplices. Employing her own motley crew of death dealers, Monza gets her revenge, but it's neither simple nor satisfying; each target requires fresh strategy, and each death has unexpected effects. Abercrombie is both fiendishly inventive and solidly convincing, especially when sprinkling his appallingly vivid combat scenes with humor so dark that it's almost ultraviolet. (Aug.)

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

paulgoatallen wrote:

Also, just to muddy the waters here, that new Joe Abercrombie book, Best Served Cold ,  that I mentioned a while back just got a starred review in PW. That's noteworthy....

Abercrombie returns to the blood-drenched arena of the First Law trilogy (The Blade Itself, etc.) with this skillfully crafted and bleakly humorous sword and sorcery adventure. Duke Orso imagines that he can become king by ending the civil wars that have devastated Styria, but he errs by trying to kill his overly popular general, mercenary Monza Murcatto. Recovering from her massive injuries and mourning her murdered brother, Monza vows vengeance on Orso and half a dozen of his accomplices. Employing her own motley crew of death dealers, Monza gets her revenge, but it's neither simple nor satisfying; each target requires fresh strategy, and each death has unexpected effects. Abercrombie is both fiendishly inventive and solidly convincing, especially when sprinkling his appallingly vivid combat scenes with humor so dark that it's almost ultraviolet. (Aug.)

Paul 

Not too muddy. It won't be out until the end of July. But if Abercrombie is that good (and he certainly is up there with the great newcomers), mabe we could pencil in his First Law trilogy (one of the three that Krista suggested but Toni can't get yet) for the end of November and December and then this one for January. Hopefully, it may be out in paperback by then. But I don't think we want to get locked into a reading schedule that far in advance. So lets just leave it here on record for now so we won't forget it.

Has anyone noticed the incredible number of viewers to this thread in the mere 13 days of its existence -- over 500. It is probably due to the quality of our choices! :smileywink:

Message Edited by Nadine on 06-09-2009 07:35 PM
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nadine wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul 

Not too muddy. It won't be out until the end of July. But if Abercrombie is that good (and he certainly is up there with the great newcomers), mabe we could pencil in his First Law trilogy (one of the three that Krista suggested but Toni can't get yet) for the end of November and December and then this one for January. Hopefully, it may be out in paperback by then. But I don't think we want to get locked into a reading schedule that far in advance. So lets just leave it here on record for now so we won't forget it.

Has anyone noticed the incredible number of viewers to this thread in the mere 13 days of its existence -- over 500. It is probably due to the quality of our choices! :smileywink:

I Think this one looks really cool! Eventually, we should definitely get to it. Also, my friend ended up winning a singed ARC of Best Served Cold and said so far it's really good. He also recommended The Blade Itself series he said they were great.

Nadine, it's probably a mix of the  Super Cool suggestions and the Unique Super Cool Thread name:robotsurprised:!

Message Edited by carmen22 on 06-09-2009 08:23 PM
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Bibliophile
Melhay

carmen22 wrote:

Nadine wrote:

I know some of us don't have all the time we would like to have to read and the reading load makes a big difference in what is possible. So I've put together our "reading load" so those of you with limited time can figure out if you can manage it. Except for October, our reading load would average about 30-35 pages per day. If Beyond the Shadows runs much too long we could slip some of it into November.

November
1. Canticle (400 pages)
2 - ?

I think this looks good, Nadine. It looks manageable and like you said, if we need to we can always run a little longer. What about you, Mel? Does everything look good to you?

Sorry all, as I mentioned over in the Elantris thread I have just returned to the world of the living late this afternoon.  Off sick for a short time here. :smileymad:

But it sounds as everyone has this all figured out.  It sounds GREAT!!:smileyhappy:

With this schedule I can start picking them up with my coupons and spaced out to be able to get them before we start.

I was wondering if we might be able to add Best served Cold by Joe Abercrombie to November?  This way we could read a stand alone book of his then dive into his trilogy in December and finish in January?  We will kind of know what we are getting into when we get to the trilogy and what to look for in his writing.  Just a thought?  But we do have some time till then.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Melhay wrote:

Sorry all, as I mentioned over in the Elantris thread I have just returned to the world of the living late this afternoon.  Off sick for a short time here. :smileymad:

But it sounds as everyone has this all figured out.  It sounds GREAT!!:smileyhappy:

With this schedule I can start picking them up with my coupons and spaced out to be able to get them before we start.

I was wondering if we might be able to add Best served Cold by Joe Abercrombie to November?  This way we could read a stand alone book of his then dive into his trilogy in December and finish in January?  We will kind of know what we are getting into when we get to the trilogy and what to look for in his writing.  Just a thought?  But we do have some time till then.

Mel, I wouldn't mind getting Best Served Cold for November. It would be nice to get a taste for his work and it just looks really good:smileyhappy:.

Sucks you were sick, by the way, but I'm Glad your back:smileytongue:.

Message Edited by carmen22 on 06-09-2009 08:30 PM
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Mel, I wouldn't mind getting Best Served Cold for November. It would be nice to get a taste for his work and it just looks really good:smileyhappy:.

I'm glad to be back.  The worst was my eyeballs hurt so bad I couldn't even read.  Aweful.  I don't get that sick very often, years, but it creeps up on me every few years.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

I'm glad to be back.  The worst was my eyeballs hurt so bad I couldn't even read.  Aweful.  I don't get that sick very often, years, but it creeps up on me every few years.

I don't get that sick often either, but when I do I hate it! It is just awful!

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Krista, I noticed you changed your signature line.  Cool Line!  So, the other one is available now right?  I really liked the line from Lamentation and was going to use it, then I saw you were using it.  I gave up and figured I would wait for the next book and use the cool line first.:smileytongue:

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Melhay wrote:
Krista, I noticed you changed your signature line.  Cool Line!  So, the other one is available now right?  I really liked the line from Lamentation and was going to use it, then I saw you were using it.  I gave up and figured I would wait for the next book and use the cool line first.:smileytongue:

Yes, you can use it now he he! I think I might start changing my line with every book I read, that is if they have a good one. We'll see if you can beat me to get that next cool line from Canticle (Psalms of Isaak Series #2), he he! 

I love my new tag line, too, kind of cool! Welcome to Elantris... My favorite part he he:smileyvery-happy:.

Message Edited by carmen22 on 06-09-2009 09:19 PM
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

All right people if we are not doing Joe Abercrombie until November that will give me time to request his books from the library or maybe even I will have the money for the book by then.  I will dig out my copies of the other books to read.  So count me in and I hope this time I can come up with some comments that you don't make.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Well, that settles it then, eh? We seem to have a pretty good schedule going, if you ask me! Everyone will know what books to get and enough time to get them all. Cool!
Message Edited by carmen22 on 06-09-2009 09:18 PM
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

It sounds great to me.  Toni start requesting.  Maybe Best Served Cold could be our Reader choose pick for Paul in November?  Paul seems psyched for this book also.  I will schedule it in there and see where we stand then.

Nadine
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

Nadine wrote:

November
1. Canticle (400 pages)
2 - ?

Glad to see you back among the living, Melissa. That would work just fine for me. The only reason I put it after the trilogy was that it was set in the same world as the trilogy. I don't think it is a continuation of the story or a sequel though. So that shouldn't be a problem. Is it, Paul?

Nadine
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

Now that is interesting. I don't see a signature line on my browser. (Firefox) What is it?

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

Glad to see you back among the living, Melissa. That would work just fine for me. The only reason I put it after the trilogy was that it was set in the same world as the trilogy. I don't think it is a continuation of the story or a sequel though. So that shouldn't be a problem. Is it, Paul?

Good question Nadine.  I thought I read that it was a stand alone in the same world.  But I would like to know if it is related to the trilogy and has any of the same characters if we should read the trilogy first?  We will have to see what Paul says.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nadine wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Now that is interesting. I don't see a signature line on my browser. (Firefox) What is it?

You just click on the Preferences button beside your name, messages, and dashboard at the top and you can put what ever you want there under Signature.
Message Edited by carmen22 on 06-09-2009 10:09 PM
Nadine
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:
Well, that settles it then, eh? We seem to have a pretty good schedule going, if you ask me! Everyone will know what books to get and enough time to get them all. Cool!
Message Edited by carmen22 on 06-09-2009 09:18 PM

Ok, so our Readers Choice reading and discussion schedule now is:

1 - Warbreaker - Sanderson (600 pages)
2 - The Sword of Shannara - Brooks (400 pages) - The Sword of Shannara trilogy

1 - The Name of the Wind  - Rothfuss  (700 pages)
2 - The Elfstone of Shannara  - Brooks (400 pages) The Sword of Shannara trilogy

1 - The Wishsong of Shannara - Brooks (400 pages) The Sword of Shannara trilogy

2 - The Way of the Shadows - Weeks (700 pages) - The Night Angels trilogy

1. The Edge of Night - Weeks (700 pages) - The Night Angels trilogy
2. Beyond the Shadow - Weeks (700 pages) - The Night Angels trilogy

November - Total Reading 1040 pages
1. Canticle - Scholes (400 pages)
2. Best Served Cold - Abercrombie (640 pages)

Nicely balanced schedule with some great books coming up. 

Nadine
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:

Nadine wrote:

Melhay wrote:

You just click on the Preferences button beside your name, messages, and dashboard at the top and you can put what ever you want there under Signature.
Message Edited by carmen22 on 06-09-2009 10:09 PM

The problem is that I don't see YOUR signatures in my browser so I was curious as to what you guys were using. You would have to post the signatures in the body of the text for me to see them.

I probably should complain to some sort of official somewhere that there is bug in the system.