Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: Epic Mystery/Adventure Fantasy Books Suggestions

[ Edited ]

Fiction-fanatic:

The Crown Conspiracy 

Avempartha  

I also saw a post where The Road was mentioned

The Road 

I know a lot of people loved this book but to be honest I disliked it to a degree not matched by other books I read.  Still it would provoke some interesting conversation.

==========================================

The Road is the second feature for the group for the month of July. Paul should be putting the new thread up this weekend.

Have your read the Sullivan books? He was very high on our list of books to pick for discussion. If you did, we would like your opinion as to whether it would make for a lively discussion. We try to pick books that none of us have read before so we can speculate and be surprised, but then we have to second guess whether a new book will be worthwhile or not.

===============================

I might also add that The Name of the Wind is our pick for discussion in August.

Message Edited by Nadine on 06-27-2009 12:32 PM
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

Fiction-fanatic:

The Crown Conspiracy 

Avempartha  

I also saw a post where The Road was mentioned

The Road 

I know a lot of people loved this book but to be honest I disliked it to a degree not matched by other books I read.  Still it would provoke some interesting conversation.

==========================================

The Road is the second feature for the group for the month of July. Paul should be putting the new thread up this weekend.

Have your read the Sullivan books? He was very high on our list of books to pick for discussion. If you did, we would like your opinion as to whether it would make for a lively discussion. We try to pick books that none of us have read before so we can speculate and be surprised, but then we have to second guess whether a new book will be worthwhile or not.

===============================

I might also add that The Name of the Wind is our pick for discussion in August.

Message Edited by Nadine on 06-27-2009 12:32 PM

Nadine is right – The Road thread will be up in a few days. And this book is arguably the most polarizing read to come along in years – people either seem to ABHOR it or really love it. Should be an interesting thread – I just started reading it today!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
dhaupt

Well I'll be on vacation next week and I make it a point to not usually get on-line when I'm at home, but I'll be making an exception for The Road.
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

I was wondering what size book you have for The Name of the Wind.  I saw two at the store when I went this last time.  There was one that was the small, fat paperback but there was also one that was a little bigger in length and thinner in paperback.  I think the bigger, thinner one is the one everyone probably has, but I wanted to check this way we can try to be on the same page numbers when discussing.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Nadine
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:
I was wondering what size book you have for The Name of the Wind.  I saw two at the store when I went this last time.  There was one that was the small, fat paperback but there was also one that was a little bigger in length and thinner in paperback.  I think the bigger, thinner one is the one everyone probably has, but I wanted to check this way we can try to be on the same page numbers when discussing.

I think mine is the small fat but I'm not sure. It has a total of 722 pages and cost $7.99.

But I don't think you can get it anymore. It looks like they have reprinted the small fat, raised the price to $8.99 and added 14 pages to it for a total of 736.

Small-Fat

The bigger, thinner one is 672 pages and costs $12.80. I don't think you can win with this one! They have too many reprints out there.

Bigger-Thin

I also got the unabridged CD,  which is really inexpensive for such a long book. It probably is cheaper because it is MP-3 on CD. I don't  know what that means but it seems to work fine on my CD player and has all the track breaks.

MP-3 on CD version

Find out what the others have and go with that one. They are probably buying the newer books while I bought mine several months ago. If it becomes a problem, I'll get a newer reprint.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

Melhay wrote:

I think mine is the small fat but I'm not sure. It has a total of 722 pages and cost $7.99.

But I don't think you can get it anymore. It looks like they have reprinted the small fat, raised the price to $8.99 and added 14 pages to it for a total of 736.

Small-Fat

The bigger, thinner one is 672 pages and costs $12.80. I don't think you can win with this one! They have too many reprints out there.

Bigger-Thin

I also got the unabridged CD,  which is really inexpensive for such a long book. It probably is cheaper because it is MP-3 on CD. I don't  know what that means but it seems to work fine on my CD player and has all the track breaks.

MP-3 on CD version

Find out what the others have and go with that one. They are probably buying the newer books while I bought mine several months ago. If it becomes a problem, I'll get a newer reprint.

I've got the early version. So what's in those 14 pages?

Nadine
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Nadine wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Small-Fat

Bigger-Thin

MP-3 on CD version

I've got the early version. So what's in those 14 pages?

I don't think anything has been added or lost. It is probably just slightly different "spreading" of the text in the reprinting. Mine ends with the Epilogue. With a 14 extra page spread, they can charge an extra dollar. :smileywink:

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

I have the small fat regular paper back edition.
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Okay, I will try to get the same one.  Thanks!!

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1

carmen22 wrote:

Are sure you guys are getting yer books at the bookstore and not Starbucks? "Yes, I'll have the small fat regular paperback with a sprinkling of epilogue, please" LOL!!

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Bibliophile
Melhay

Bradinator1 wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

Are sure you guys are getting yer books at the bookstore and not Starbucks? "Yes, I'll have the small fat regular paperback with a sprinkling of epilogue, please" LOL!!

Brad

(looking up, tapping cheek with first finger) Well, my Barnes and Nobles does have a coffee shop in it...

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1

Melhay wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

Brad

(looking up, tapping cheek with first finger) Well, my Barnes and Nobles does have a coffee shop in it...

....and do you know that only becuase somebody at your house (no names mentioned) let the coffee run out without making another pot, thus forcing a trip to get more coffee?

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

Brad

....and do you know that only becuase somebody at your house (no names mentioned) let the coffee run out without making another pot, thus forcing a trip to get more coffee?

Brad

Man, (snapping fingers, looking down)  I just keep falling right into that trap.  Good job!!  (uh) And yes, my husband quite making the coffee so I had to buy it at Barnes and Noble when I go.:smileywink:

Bibliophile
Melhay

Nadine wrote:OK, now do you have any ideas on how to break up The Name of the Wind, Paul? I don't think it is like the others we have read and may not lend itself to such divisions. Maybe it is best if we just read it and comment on the book when we are finished. I don't know. You are the expert on this, Paul. I read the first hundred pages or so some time ago and will read them again as a memory refesher. What I remember is that it is simply a "told story." But if there are cliff-hangers and surprises, then we will probably want it segmented at those points.

Krista wrote:

Nadine, It has been a really long time since I read the Name of the Wind so I'll be rereading it, but I think it's easier if we break it up to get all our thoughts out there while there still fresh and such (huge book). I don't remember enough to give you stopping points, maybe Paul does, but if we have to we can just make it up (you do a good job of that LOL!) We could just divide it evenly or something...LOL! But if everyone just wants to read through the whole book, then that will be fine to. I'm just saying I like doing it this way

Hey guys, I hope you don't mind, I copied the parts of the posts regarding Name of the Wind to here so we can try to discuss the reading schedule on it.  Trying to keep it all together for us so we may be able to find it.

I would like to break it up into reading sections so we can talk about it.  I kind of enjoy just discussing the parts we read then just talking about them. There may not be much speculation like our past books but just talking about them helps.  Along with incase I have missed something in the read that one of you pick up.  We could divide it into 4 or 5 parts since it is such a large book then talk on it, if we happen to get a cliffhanger then good but if not that is okay with me.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Melhay wrote:

Nadine wrote:OK, now do you have any ideas on how to break up The Name of the Wind, Paul? I don't think it is like the others we have read and may not lend itself to such divisions. Maybe it is best if we just read it and comment on the book when we are finished. I don't know. You are the expert on this, Paul. I read the first hundred pages or so some time ago and will read them again as a memory refesher. What I remember is that it is simply a "told story." But if there are cliff-hangers and surprises, then we will probably want it segmented at those points.

Krista wrote:

Nadine, It has been a really long time since I read the Name of the Wind so I'll be rereading it, but I think it's easier if we break it up to get all our thoughts out there while there still fresh and such (huge book). I don't remember enough to give you stopping points, maybe Paul does, but if we have to we can just make it up (you do a good job of that LOL!) We could just divide it evenly or something...LOL! But if everyone just wants to read through the whole book, then that will be fine to. I'm just saying I like doing it this way

Hey guys, I hope you don't mind, I copied the parts of the posts regarding Name of the Wind to here so we can try to discuss the reading schedule on it.  Trying to keep it all together for us so we may be able to find it.

I would like to break it up into reading sections so we can talk about it.  I kind of enjoy just discussing the parts we read then just talking about them. There may not be much speculation like our past books but just talking about them helps.  Along with incase I have missed something in the read that one of you pick up.  We could divide it into 4 or 5 parts since it is such a large book then talk on it, if we happen to get a cliffhanger then good but if not that is okay with me.

Totally cool, Melhay! I don't mind you moving around my posts :smileywink: LOL!!!

Anyways, yes I agree, even if there's not a ton of speculation it'll still be better to spilt it up and talk through it like we have, so we won't miss any important details when all is said and done ( this is a trilogy and the ending is kind of a cliffhanger in itself, I think, and we are left with a lot to think about). Plus, this book is a master piece (IMO) and so it deserves a full on discussion...LOL! So now it's just up to Nadine, but I'm sure she'll be game....LOL!!

Message Edited by carmen22 on 07-22-2009 10:33 AM
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Nadine
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Krista wrote:

Totally cool, Melhay! I don't mind you moving around my posts :smileywink: LOL!!!

Anyways, yes I agree, even if there's not a ton of speculation it'll still be better to spilt it up and talk through it like we have, so we won't miss any important details when all is said and done ( this is a trilogy and the ending is kind of a cliffhanger in itself, I think, and we are left with a lot to think about). Plus, this book is a master piece (IMO) and so it deserves a full on discussion...LOL! So now it's just up to Nadine, but I'm sure she'll be game....LOL!!

Message Edited by carmen22 on 07-22-2009 10:33 AM

Good idea, Melissa, moving the discussion over to here. Yes, I think we should break it up. I really wass kind of dreading the idea of reading a whole long book and keeping my mouth shut until the end!  :smileymad: 

So why don't we just divide it into four parts, one part for each week. It is 722 pages and that comes to 180 pages per week or roughly 25 pages per day. There are 92 chapters plus a Prologue. So why don't we keep it simple. Unless someone knows of some natural breaking point we can simply do 25 chapters per week.

Week 1: Prologue through Chapter 25

Week 2: Chapter 26 to 50

Week 3: Chapter 51 to 75

Week 4: Chapter 76 to 92

We mark the header with the chapter span in case there are spoilers. We may have more readers for this book. A lot of people have posted on other threads that they are reading or have read or are planning to read this book, so the headers will probably be useful to a lot of other people in the "silent majority" as well.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote: 

Good idea, Melissa, moving the discussion over to here. Yes, I think we should break it up. I really wass kind of dreading the idea of reading a whole long book and keeping my mouth shut until the end!  :smileymad: 

So why don't we just divide it into four parts, one part for each week. It is 722 pages and that comes to 180 pages per week or roughly 25 pages per day. There are 92 chapters plus a Prologue. So why don't we keep it simple. Unless someone knows of some natural breaking point we can simply do 25 chapters per week.

We mark the header with the chapter span in case there are spoilers. We may have more readers for this book. A lot of people have posted on other threads that they are reading or have read or are planning to read this book, so the headers will probably be useful to a lot of other people in the "silent majority" as well

Yeah, we like to talk about the books too.  I don't like not sharing before the end.

The breakup looks good to me, if no one else has a suggestion.  Are we looking at the Friday endings? That would be the 10th, 17th, 24th, and 31st.  Would that work?  How about that the month ends perfectly on a Friday.  Or do you want to start early on the book and end on 3rd, 10th, 17th, and 24th, leaving the last week for what ever we want to discuss?

I kind of like the first one for us, with finishing Warbreaker and with Sword of Shannara also, but it is up to you all I am flexable with what I am reading.

Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: Epic Mystery/Adventure Fantasy Books: Name of the Wind discussion Schedule Suggestions

[ Edited ]
Name of the Wind Discussion Schedule for August.

Melhay wrote:

Nadine wrote: 

We mark the header with the chapter span in case there are spoilers. We may have more readers for this book. A lot of people have posted on other threads that they are reading or have read or are planning to read this book, so the headers will probably be useful to a lot of other people in the "silent majority" as well

Yeah, we like to talk about the books too.  I don't like not sharing before the end.

The breakup looks good to me, if no one else has a suggestion.  Are we looking at the Friday endings? That would be the 10th, 17th, 24th, and 31st.  Would that work?  How about that the month ends perfectly on a Friday.  Or do you want to start early on the book and end on 3rd, 10th, 17th, and 24th, leaving the last week for what ever we want to discuss?

I kind of like the first one for us, with finishing Warbreaker and with Sword of Shannara also, but it is up to you all I am flexable with what I am reading.

Good idea, Melissa! Friday endings look perfect.

Whoops! Error - error. But I can still edit. Wrong month on calendar. We are reading this in August. 

Week 1: Prologue through Chapter 25 - Discussion starts 7th

Week 2: Chapter 26 to 50 -Discussion starts 14th

Week 3: Chapter 51 to 75 - Discussion starts 21th

Week 4: Chapter 76 to 92 - Discussion starts 28th

The last set of chapters only covers 128 pages and we always sprint to the end. This will also gives us some extra wiggle room as we move into the September books.

How does that set with you Krista and the rest of you who will be joining us?

Message Edited by Nadine on 07-22-2009 12:07 PM
Message Edited by Nadine on 07-22-2009 12:23 PM
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Re: Epic Mystery/Adventure Fantasy Books: Name of the Wind discussion Schedule Suggestions

Oooppps, sorry, I forgot we ARE in July. My mistake, sorry.  Wow, we are coming up on August already. Wow...  before we know it is will be Christmas again. (shivering) no don't want to think about that yet, not yet...

Well, that will get us right in for the first weed of August.  Sounds good!!

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Lets keep an open mind to see what Paul comes up with as stopping points in the book also.  He may find some good points for us, like he did with Warbreaker.

We have time to think on what he says. Before we start, even if we get started we will still be okay.