Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Re: Epic Mystery/Adventure Fantasy Books Suggestions

Nadine wrote: 

Good idea, Melissa, moving the discussion over to here. Yes, I think we should break it up. I really was kind of dreading the idea of reading a whole long book and keeping my mouth shut until the end!  :smileymad: 

So why don't we just divide it into four parts, one part for each week. It is 722 pages and that comes to 180 pages per week or roughly 25 pages per day. There are 92 chapters plus a Prologue. So why don't we keep it simple. Unless someone knows of some natural breaking point we can simply do 25 chapters per week.

Week 1: Prologue through Chapter 25

Week 2: Chapter 26 to 50

Week 3: Chapter 51 to 75

Week 4: Chapter 76 to 92

We mark the header with the chapter span in case there are spoilers. We may have more readers for this book. A lot of people have posted on other threads that they are reading or have read or are planning to read this book, so the headers will probably be useful to a lot of other people in the "silent majority" as well

I'm game for any discussion schedule we have, however, I agree before we set anything in stone lets see what Paul comes up with, but I'll be totally cool with this schedule, as well. Man, do we have our work cut out for us, we haven't even finished with any of the books this month and we are already talking about other books....LOL!! Too Fun!

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Krista Wrote:

I'm game for any discussion schedule we have, however, I agree before we set anything in stone lets see what Paul comes up with, but I'll be totally cool with this schedule, as well. Man, do we have our work cut out for us, we haven't even finished with any of the books this month and we are already talking about other books....LOL!! Too Fun!

____________________-

I think we are good.  I will be ready to start discussing Warbreaker this evening after football camp.  I will probably read a little on SoS for just today and tomorrow so we can talk about Warbreaker, then start back into Warbreaker to finish up on Friday.  I hope to be able to get through Warbreaker by Tuesday or Wend, then dive into SoS for the rest of the week.  At the beginning of August I will start Name of the Wind if we are saying August 7 as the first section to be done.

I am going away for the weekend on July 31 through August 2, so I wont get much reading done, unless my husband will drive home then I could read.  I have to do the driving to since he will just be getting home from work when we leave, so no reading on the way down.  Maybe I will get a birthday dinner on the 2nd or the 3rd, I will wait and see.  So I may not start Name of the Wind till August 4th.  I will have to read on lunch and in the evenings uninterupted.  Maybe, now that I think about it I will dive into Name of the Wind instead of SoS when I am done with Warbreaker. 

Oh, just scratch all this, I just confused the heck out of myself.  I will just see how long it will take me to get through whatever I am working on at the current time.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:

Nadine wrote: 

Good idea, Melissa, moving the discussion over to here. Yes, I think we should break it up. I really was kind of dreading the idea of reading a whole long book and keeping my mouth shut until the end!  :smileymad: 

So why don't we just divide it into four parts, one part for each week. It is 722 pages and that comes to 180 pages per week or roughly 25 pages per day. There are 92 chapters plus a Prologue. So why don't we keep it simple. Unless someone knows of some natural breaking point we can simply do 25 chapters per week.

Week 1: Prologue through Chapter 25

Week 2: Chapter 26 to 50

Week 3: Chapter 51 to 75

Week 4: Chapter 76 to 92

We mark the header with the chapter span in case there are spoilers. We may have more readers for this book. A lot of people have posted on other threads that they are reading or have read or are planning to read this book, so the headers will probably be useful to a lot of other people in the "silent majority" as well

Agreed. My division is obitrary. I'm sure Paul can come up with something a little more meaningful. We have put forth some ideas so lets leave it to Paul to post the official schedule when he posts the thread.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Maybe we are trying to read way too many books for discussion in too short a time! But I think we can handle this. Just as long as we are all on the same foot.

I think we do want to get Warbreaker finished the soonest. Which means finishing up the discussion of the current section (Page 150, through Chapter 44)and then finish reading the book to the "surprise climax." The last section of the book is 141 pages but I have a "feeling" it will be fast reading.

And we also want to finish off the discussion for Part 2 of SoS (page 270 or through Chapter 14). It would be nice if we could get the next section, Part 3, of SoS read (through page 388 or chapter 20, 117 pages of reading) and discussed before the end of the month. That would put us halfway through the book. But I don't think it is doable. We only have 9 days left in the month.

So that means we should start reading The Name of the Wind (a very long book but our major discussion book) after we finish Warbreaker and then pick up Part 3 of SoS in August.

I know Krista can zip through all of this and still be looking for something else to read but the rest of us aren't quite so fast. :smileywink:

I would like to put enough time into the reading and discussion even if we have to slip our schedule a bit. We can relook at our schedule sometime in August and see what is realistic.

Still Left to Read in SoS:

Part 3: Chapters 15-20 (pg  388)
Part 4: Chapters 21-27 (pg 556)
Part 5: Chapters 28-34 (pg  726)

Message Edited by Nadine on 07-22-2009 08:39 PM
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: Epic Mystery/Adventure Fantasy Books: Name of the Wind discussion Schedule Suggestions

Melhay wrote:

Lets keep an open mind to see what Paul comes up with as stopping points in the book also.  He may find some good points for us, like he did with Warbreaker.

We have time to think on what he says. Before we start, even if we get started we will still be okay.

Didn't mean to keep you hanging, guys., I'm finishing up a book today and I'll dive into Name tomorrow. I've read it already so I'll whip through it and post my break suggestions here asap!

It's actually really cool that we've just recently read Lamentation and Warbreaker (two new classic fantasy novels) and Sword of Shannara ("old" classic fantasy novel) because in The Name of the Wind, Rothfuss heavily utilizes "old school" fantasy elements – it reads like it could've been written 50 years ago...I can't wait for you to read it!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Re: Epic Mystery/Adventure Fantasy Books: Name of the Wind discussion Schedule Suggestions

paulgoatallen wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Lets keep an open mind to see what Paul comes up with as stopping points in the book also.  He may find some good points for us, like he did with Warbreaker.

We have time to think on what he says. Before we start, even if we get started we will still be okay.

Didn't mean to keep you hanging, guys., I'm finishing up a book today and I'll dive into Name tomorrow. I've read it already so I'll whip through it and post my break suggestions here asap!

It's actually really cool that we've just recently read Lamentation and Warbreaker (two new classic fantasy novels) and Sword of Shannara ("old" classic fantasy novel) because in The Name of the Wind, Rothfuss heavily utilizes "old school" fantasy elements – it reads like it could've been written 50 years ago...I can't wait for you to read it!

Paul 

Thanks Paul.  We are excited to get going on this book also.  But, take your time.  We are working with The Sword of Shannara this week then getting into Name next week.  But we can start it and you could still have a few days to tell us where the stops are. (Well, me anyway, I am a slow reader.)  I just appreciate you taking the time to help us.

The themes are kind of cool though, if I can say.  Old school and New school.  We will have to compare that when we get to Name.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/