paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

FEBRUARY FEATURE #2: Dragon Keeper by Robin Hobb

And for all of you fantasy fans, here's a novel I've been waiting almost a year for: Dragon Keeper – the first volume of Robin Hobb's new Rain Wilds Chronicles. The reviews for this have been very positive – here's what Publishers Weekly had to say:

"Here be dragons—but debilitated, deformed, damaged dragons, hatched too soon, sick and starving, into a world that has mostly forgotten them. The first of Hobb's Rain Wild Chronicles, an absorbing extension of her Liveship and Tawny Man trilogies, introduces 15 young dragons who struggle to survive with the grudging help of mutant Rain Wilders. Eventually driven out by the Traders Council, the hatchlings decide to seek Kelsingra, their ancient home. Caught up by the dragons' plight and longing to escape unhappy families and the stifling Rain Wild culture, self-taught dragon scholar Alise Kincannon and teenage tree-dwelling mutant Thymara volunteer to accompany them on the quest, with the help of magnetic liveship captain Leftrin and a host of colorful characters. Hobb's meticulously realized fantasy tale is a welcome addition to contemporary dragon lore."

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Correspondent
MsReaderCP
0 Kudos

Re: FEBRUARY FEATURE #2: Dragon Keeper by Robin Hobb

I am halfway through this book - which is amazing in itself to me, because if you read my intro. I'm very limited in this genre, mostly Young Adult  or Urban Fantasy (although in my 30's) but wanting to branch out and try more- and it is such a surprise!!  Although I have not read much, if any epic Fantasy,only The Hobbit, I think, I am an avid reader of so much other stuff so I can compare to the wide world of Literature and what everyone else calls Literature and Hobb sure is a great writer of it!!  What a great book for me to start my epic Fantasy quest on.  thanks so much Paul!  I feel as though I am in this world, that I know all of these very different characters,, and I can't wait to get up every morning for my coffee and reading.  what more could you ask for.  I am curious as to what Hobb took from other dragon Literature and what is all her imagination (about the dragons); that's where experience in this field would help or you guys could help. I have a feeling that it's probably majority imagination and that's because this book is so imaginative.  Wizardwood!  The qualities of the Elderlings!  I had forgotten she had prior series.  Were these in her prior series? thanks for patience with me. 

CP

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

MsReaderCP wrote:

I am halfway through this book - which is amazing in itself to me, because if you read my intro. I'm very limited in this genre, mostly Young Adult  or Urban Fantasy (although in my 30's) but wanting to branch out and try more- and it is such a surprise!!  Although I have not read much, if any epic Fantasy,only The Hobbit, I think, I am an avid reader of so much other stuff so I can compare to the wide world of Literature and what everyone else calls Literature and Hobb sure is a great writer of it!!  What a great book for me to start my epic Fantasy quest on.  thanks so much Paul!  I feel as though I am in this world, that I know all of these very different characters,, and I can't wait to get up every morning for my coffee and reading.  what more could you ask for.  I am curious as to what Hobb took from other dragon Literature and what is all her imagination (about the dragons); that's where experience in this field would help or you guys could help. I have a feeling that it's probably majority imagination and that's because this book is so imaginative.  Wizardwood!  The qualities of the Elderlings!  I had forgotten she had prior series.  Were these in her prior series? thanks for patience with me. 

CP

CP:

I'm so glad you're enjoying it – Robin is a great writer and very under-rated in my opinion.

and – YES – wizardwood was in her Liveship Traders saga! Good call!

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Reader
woulf

I don't want to post a negative review, but I'm afraid it will come off that way. I enjoyed the book, but felt like the entire thing was covered in the dust jacket.

Robin Hobb developed the characters, set up the environment and then that was it. This wasn't a complete novel but a large prologue.

A good prologue, but still not a novel. I'm all for long and large series, but c'mon, a novel should be a novel while this book seemed to have no other purpose than selling the next book.

Now I've read this prologue but have to wait another year for the actual novel. I'd recommend waiting till the 2nd book comes out and then doing both together.

Correspondent
MsReaderCP
0 Kudos

I was expecting too that I would have to wait a year for the sequel because that's the normal wait time,  but the backcover says May 2010, (I think, its not in front of me) which made me wonder if all fantasy books have a shorter turn-around time, but then I thought of a couple of books that I have been waiting for sequels FOREVER, Patrick Rothkiss ( I think that's his name), and Tad Williams and his Shadow series (I haven't read them, but  I actually bought The Name of the Wind and I think I'm safe to read it now because it looks like they did slip in a sequel that I missed or there is one on the way, bec Barnes and Noble shows an electronic Bk2 coming out this summer, which means I missed the book or more likely its finally coming.  So, I think that it depends on the author and not on genre of book.  I don't know how  Robb will have it done in May because the last trilogy was not that long ago...    I can't comment yet on your prologue assessment becuase I'm not finished, but even if it ended as it is going, I think it would be well worth it for me, I agree with you that a novel should be something in itself, that you can enjoy without having to wait a year for the sequel; but I also don't need a definitive ending to do that.  I just need good reading. (and a definitive date for second book)

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom

I finally finished this book and I taught that she had done a good job of it.  Wolf if you haven't read any of her other books than yes I can see you feeling like this was not a complete book but that is kind of her style with her story arc running throughout the three books to get the complete story.  She doesn't leave you with major cliff hangers just enough to want to read more without feeling like you are going to fall off the cliff.  MSReaderCP is right the second book DragonHaven will be out May 11 2010 so it is only a couple of months which is not long to get more of the story.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
paulgoatallen

Funny you should mention Dragon Haven, I just received the advanced reading copy today! (the official release date is May 11.)

I actually love what Eos is doing with this duology – instead of reading Dragon keeper and then waiting a year before the next installment is released, Eos is releasing them essentially back-to-back. I know publishers obviously can't do this with ongoing series but if it's a duology or a trilogy, I love the idea of releasing all installments within a year.

Paul

Correspondent
MsReaderCP

I wish all serials were like this( with the sequels so close together)  I think more people would buy the sequel too, having not forgotten about it!....I had been making copious notes before I saw the May 2010 release date on back flap,because as much as I read, I always forget the details of the book before the sequel comes out!  However I was just thinking this morning that I wouldn't mind re-reading this book before the next one even if I had had to wait a year --but my memory can easily handle 6 months or less.  Paul, off the topic, when do you list the next month's books - I see you do Paranormal also and it's list is usually up very early - why the difference for this Forum? lack of new books pouring in. I know paranormal is the "thing" now. 

paulgoatallen

MsReaderCP wrote:

I wish all serials were like this( with the sequels so close together)  I think more people would buy the sequel too, having not forgotten about it!....I had been making copious notes before I saw the May 2010 release date on back flap,because as much as I read, I always forget the details of the book before the sequel comes out!  However I was just thinking this morning that I wouldn't mind re-reading this book before the next one even if I had had to wait a year --but my memory can easily handle 6 months or less.  Paul, off the topic, when do you list the next month's books - I see you do Paranormal also and it's list is usually up very early - why the difference for this Forum? lack of new books pouring in. I know paranormal is the "thing" now. 

CP:

You're absolutely right about readers losing interest or simply forgetting about a series. I can't tell you how many times I've waited morethan a year for a sequel only to realize that I probably have to reread the proceeding installments again just to "get back into it!"

I think that – whenever possible – we'll be seeing more publishers doing this in the months and years to come.

And as far as listing upcoming features, I generally put up "teaser" threads in Paranormal Fantasy and F/SF at the same time and your post just made me realize that I never put up the March teaser for F/SF! Give me a few minutes and you'll see it! (Thank you, btw!)  :smileyhappy:

Paul

Reader
woulf

That's great news to me that the second book is coming so soon. I very much enjoyed Dragon Keeper, and most books by Robin Hobb that I've read.

I think I've read most everything Robin has written, a great and prolific writer. I still feel like Dragon Keeper wasn't what  a novel should be, but if an author wants to break a novel up into two pieced delivered a few months from each other I don't mind at all.

I've suffered from the long wait times by Rothfuss and Martin, and I guess I'm a little overly sensitive to books that end with no ending or good break point.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

[ Edited ]

Finished Dragon Keeper (Rain Wilds Series #1) last night.  I'm glad I read it. There's meticulous creation of the 'Rain Wilds' world and the primary characters. However, I was slightly disappointed with the book's lack of progression beyond the first part of the journey/quest. I understand that this book forms a story arch which spans a three book trilogy, but part of me wished that this first book contained more adventure. Also, I didn't feel much empathy or attraction for Alise. The other primary characters, (Sintara the dragon, Leftrin the live barge captain and Thymara the 'heavily touched' Wild Rain girl), were sympathetic. (Sintara the dragon was particularly entertaining.) But, Alise was just too changeable in the last part of the book. I understand the whole retiring scholar/neglected-abused wife part of her character, but the impulsive part of her is a bit too schizophrenic for me, (especially when she discovers the temerity to offer her services to the Council and defy her appointed chaperon, but then loses that resolve and breaks down aboard the barge realizing that she must return to Bingtown. Well, I just don't understand that wild swing from determined resolve to capitulation. I mean she already made her decision and went to the dragon grounds, so why suddenly loose heart when they're shoving off? To me, it just doesn't make sense.) Anyway, the bottom line is that I will read the upcoming sequel to find out what happens to the dragons, Thymara and Leftrin. But, I hope that Alise's character becomes more steadfast/settled and that the expedition offers more adventure and/or action.  

Correspondent
MsReaderCP
0 Kudos

I couldn't sleep last night , so I hopped on the computer (PG-rated) and came across some information on a competitor's site about this book that answers a couple of our questions and concerns, IF its true information.  One way to tell is for you, Paul, to peek at the second galley that I think you said you had received ---if its not too much trouble.  the other site said that Hobb turned in this manuscript as one book t her publisher ; however, the publisher thought it was too long and split it up into two books.  that would explain why 1.  the second part is ready so soon as we discussed above and 2. Why this book definitely does not wrap up with any kind of ending (except a period.):smileyhappy:   However if this is true info and the next book is the last one, some people may want to wait and read them straight through as Hobb intended.  I looked on her site to try to corroborate this information and she lists these two novels as being all there is, with no additional information (that I could find).  I guess its possible that there is just not a name yet? -- But I would think she would show "third book upcoming" or something with the second book being already done.  The book does not say trilogy, it does say chronicles, which gave me the impression of even more than 3.  So Paul, you don't even have to look at the end of the book, I don't believe in peeking, but does the galley say anywhere on outside in summary, etc that this is the final book of The Rain Wilds Chronicles?  Summary of the book could go either way.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

MsReaderCP wrote:

I couldn't sleep last night , so I hopped on the computer (PG-rated) and came across some information on a competitor's site about this book that answers a couple of our questions and concerns, IF its true information.  One way to tell is for you, Paul, to peek at the second galley that I think you said you had received ---if its not too much trouble.  the other site said that Hobb turned in this manuscript as one book t her publisher ; however, the publisher thought it was too long and split it up into two books.  that would explain why 1.  the second part is ready so soon as we discussed above and 2. Why this book definitely does not wrap up with any kind of ending (except a period.):smileyhappy:   However if this is true info and the next book is the last one, some people may want to wait and read them straight through as Hobb intended.  I looked on her site to try to corroborate this information and she lists these two novels as being all there is, with no additional information (that I could find).  I guess its possible that there is just not a name yet? -- But I would think she would show "third book upcoming" or something with the second book being already done.  The book does not say trilogy, it does say chronicles, which gave me the impression of even more than 3.  So Paul, you don't even have to look at the end of the book, I don't believe in peeking, but does the galley say anywhere on outside in summary, etc that this is the final book of The Rain Wilds Chronicles?  Summary of the book could go either way.

CP:

Well, I have Dragon Haven in my hands – it's a meaty 506 pages – and although I haven't read it yet, the back of the ARC states:

"Returning to the world of the Tawny Man trilogy, the second volume in the acclaimed NYT bestselling fantasy writer's thrilling two-part tale of resurgent dragons in a world that needs – and fears – them."

So, if indeed there is a third volume, wouldn't you think that the Eos editors would've changed the blurb on the back? I'm still assuming that this is a duology – when I read Dragon Haven that may change...

If I hear anything else, I'll post it here asap!

Paul

Correspondent
MsReaderCP
0 Kudos

How curious!  thanks so much for taking the time to check that out for me.  I agree, if I'm on a jury, I say it's a twosome.

dalnewt

I welcome the probability that the story arc will be concluded with Dragon Haven rather than in two followup books. Sometimes the middle book in a trilogy can be sort of uncoordinated, overly-complicated and/or slow.  

B&N Bookseller
melissas

I just finished reading Dragon Keeper this afternoon, :smileysad: several weeks behind schedule. I thought it was fantastic. :smileyvery-happy: My experience with dragons is pretty much limited to books for Teens and younger, so I'm glad this book was recommended to help me broaden my scope.

In terms of the way the book ended, I'm happy that it just sort of, well, ended. Cliffhangers make me too antsy and neurotic. I will definitely be looking forward to continuing the story without feeling too crazy in an oh-my-what-will-happen-to-so-and-so-? way—although I still do want to know. In the last chapter, I was very surprised to find out about Sedric mutilating the little brown dragon in the night. This is clearly something that's going to change the course of the trip (and an idiotic move on his part). Does anyone have any theories about what's going to happen? I have a few ways I can see this playing out, but I think the most satisfying would be for the dragon to die, be consumed by the others, allowing the other dragons to experience the memory of what Sedric did. He would, of course, get what was coming to him. However much I might like to see that happen, I also think that would also be a very quick end to something that could be much more developed. Any other ideas?

dalnewt

For all those who read Hobb's Dragon Keeper, the sequel "Dragon Haven" is available as of May 11, and here's the link:

The book Dragon Haven (Rain Wilds Series #2) appears to be the conclusion to the adventure. Unfortunately, no editorial reviews appear on the B&N website, so I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything about this book. Note, the only reader review is by Harstan, and she gave the book 4 stars. In that review Harstan wrote the following:

"The sequel to the Dragon Keeper is an exciting climax to a well written duology that returns readers to the Hobbs' realm of the Liveship Traders and the Tawny Man sagas. The story line is a coming of age fantasy especially of the naive female teenager Thymara who grows in confidence as she learns who to trust and more important to distrust. Although the rest of the cast seems somewhat interchangeable as shallowly deceptive or even shallower naive, fans of Robin Hobb will enjoy the trek along the Rain Wild River."

B&N Bookseller
melissas

FYI

For all NOOK owners, you can get a FREE copy of Dragon Keeper, plus it comes with an excerpt from Dragon Haven. I am so thrilled, I just wanted to share!

pen21

I really enjoyed this book. I had grabbed this as a free eBook. I wasn't familiar with the author. I will be reading the next in the series. Thymara is  a great character. The book has setup a world that is not impressed with the dragons that she will help care for. I am ready to see where the author takes the story in the second book.

pen21