Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
lordfeyr

Favorite Female Character Discussion

So I would like to know who some of your favorite female characters are and why.

For me:

I think I am in love with Min from the Wheel of Time.  Tall, Thin, Short Hair, I can do it myself attitude and kinda tomboyish.  She can see the future and I thought it was funny she saw herself falling in love and said forget that! and did everything she could to avoid it.  When she tries to be girly it comes across funny yet graceful.  If she were real I would definintely ask her out :smileywink:

Lets hear your favorites.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic

Re: Favorite Female Character Discussion

Susan Sto Helit from Discworld is eight shades of awesome. She's smart, she's competent (how do you spell that?), and she doesn't suffer fools gladly. And she knows how to keep Jason out of the stationary cupboard.

Deana/Denna/however she's spelling her name this week from The Name of the Wind is very intriguing. I think  the adjective I'm looking for here is 'fay'. Fay, mysterious, and shaping up to be a major plot element in The Wise Man's Fear. (Not that she isn't important in TNotM. But I think she'll be even more central in the next book).

And Galadriel. Not that I have anything specifically to say about her (I'm not a big Tolkien fan), but I love the name. Galadriel. Galadriel. Why do I keep typing it as "Ga;driel"? 

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

How about Jin Li-Tam from Lamentation by Ken Scoles? She is the 42nd daughter of Vlad Li-Tam and just as cunning and ruthless as any male character. I think she appealed to me so strongly because Ken didn't rely on any genre cliches when creating her. She's not the typical female character but she is more than believable and I love that about Ken's characters. Not stereotypical, very authentic...

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

For me, actually, one of my favorite characters happens to be a girl. Katniss from a YA book called The Hunger Games (one of my favorites). Why I loved Katniss, she was a normal girl living in a future world of hard times and toke control of her life by doing what had to be done in order to stay alive. Katniss was strong in mind, cunning, good spirited, and really good with a bow and arrow!!
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1

I'm a HUGE Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg fan from Pratchett's Discworld series. Nobody wants to go head to head with Granny. She'll kick yer keister!!

Surreal- Anne Bishop's Black Jewels series. Courtesan, assassin, and smartmouth. What more could you want?

Lady- Glen Cook's Black Company series. The top dog, butt kicking, sorcerous Queen. None craftier, tough, or vicious. Macheivelli could take lessons from her.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Wordsmith
CaLaMiTyPLeAsE
0 Kudos

Aislinn from Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr WHY?

She is completely independent, she knows what she wants and she's not going to let anyone tell her she won't get it. She trusts her instincts, and she's just great! She's strong and loving and Marr really developes her into a great rolemodel. She get's into a bad situation that she cant get out of, but she's quick to tell everyone 'this is how it's gonna be' she twists the situation to make the best out of it. it teaches girls to keep their head, and dont get pushed around.

step through my looking glass at calamityplease.blogspot.com and it'd be ever so thoughtful and kind of you to follow me. :smileywink: Also I have a new contests of sorts on said blog concerning THE VAMPIRE ACADEMY by Richelle Mead. So check it out.
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:

I'm a HUGE Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg fan from Pratchett's Discworld series. Nobody wants to go head to head with Granny. She'll kick yer keister!!

Brad

I have actually picked up the Discworld Graphic Novel of the first two books, way cool! I'm looking forward to starting it but my dad ordered it for me and when he got it he realized it was a graphic novel and now he wants to read it before he'll give it to me, total bummer. I'll be waiting forever!!!

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Raven_Lunatic wrote:

Deana/Denna/however she's spelling her name this week from The Name of the Wind is very intriguing. I think  the adjective I'm looking for here is 'fay'. Fay, mysterious, and shaping up to be a major plot element in The Wise Man's Fear. (Not that she isn't important in TNotM. But I think she'll be even more central in the next book).

I really enjoyed this Female Character too, she was a smart and independent woman. Can't wait for The Wise Man's Fear, I'm curious to see what becomes of her and Kvothe!!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Marla Wolfblade from Jennifer Fallon's Wolfblade Trilogy

R'shiel from Jennifer Fallon's Medalon Chronicles

Sephrenia/Ehlana/Aphrael/Melidere from David Edding's Elenium Series

Polgara/Velvet/Ce'Nedra/Porren from David Edding's Belgaria and Mallorean Series

Talia/Elespeth/Kerowyn/Kethryveris/Yfandes/Savil  just a few from Mercedes Lackeys Valdemar books

Nynaeve al'Mear/Egwene al'Vere/Elayne Trakand and a few others from Robert Jordan's Wheel of time series

Message Edited by Ryan_G on 05-15-2009 09:44 AM
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
foureyed
0 Kudos

I have to agree with Kerowyn, from Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series. Smart, Experienced, not afraid to speak her mind..... What's not to love?
If ignorance is bliss, then Washington D.C. is the Happiest Place on Earth!
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

I have found another great Female Character I just Love. Sarene from Sandersons Elantris(love it!) she is way cool. She is an independent, intelligent, and will not let anyone stand in her way to do what has to be done. As Brandon Sanderson says "Who can stand against her?".