Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy Movies

andrax wrote:

Bladerunner....hands down the best.

Andrax:

Bladerunner was amazing. And the thing that makes this movie a classic, in my opinion, is that even though it's been 25 years or more since it was first released, it still stands the test of time. I can watch that movie now and still be just as blown away by it in 2008 as I was when I first saw it in the early 1980s.  That defines a classic to me...

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Bladerunner was absolutly on my list as well. I liked the director's cut best. Can't go wrong with a Ridley Scott flick. Just look at "Alien". Also stands the test of time very well. Still creeps me out when I watch it. The stupid cat jumping out gets me every time too. You'd think I'd catch on at some point.

I'm also watching "Sanctuary". Missed the last episode, though. My wife walked in while I was watching the show and said "Brad. That is really cheesy". I gave her my famous "What's yer point?" look and carried on watching. I don't make her watch "Sanctuary" and I get to read books during "Dancing With the Stars". Fair enough.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

fforgnayr wrote:
On your recommendation I may give them another try

Chomp wrote:

fforgnayr wrote:
I know everyone is going to wonder what my problem is but I couldn't never get into the show she was on before so I don't have to worry about her hair and accent in this show.  I just watched the epsiode with the nubbins.  It was quite humorous

Chomp wrote:

fforgnayr wrote:
Well hopefully it will be better than that.  Speaking of Sci-Fi channel.  Is anyone else watching Sanctuary?  I find myself liking it quite a bit.

Yes, I have been watching Sanctuary since it began. I like it, too, though after so many years of seeing her as Sam Carter I sometimes find it weird seeing AT as a brunette character with a British accent. :smileyhappy:

Carol

Ah, I love my Stargates...

Carol

I hope you enjoy them. It's probably best to start at the beginning, just so you can get the mythology straight. Of course, SG-1 was on for 10 years, so that's a lot of DVDs... :smileyhappy: I always liked the show, but I think it really hit its stride in the 4th season. Atlantis is currently in its 5th (and last) season.

Carol 

So many books, so little time...
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Carol

I hope you enjoy them. It's probably best to start at the beginning, just so you can get the mythology straight. Of course, SG-1 was on for 10 years, so that's a lot of DVDs... :smileyhappy: I always liked the show, but I think it really hit its stride in the 4th season. Atlantis is currently in its 5th (and last) season.

Carol 

I haven't seen this series before. Is it necessary to watch the 1994 movie first to know what is happening at the start or is Season 1 sufficient?

Wordsmith
Chomp
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

Carol

Carol 

I haven't seen this series before. Is it necessary to watch the 1994 movie first to know what is happening at the start or is Season 1 sufficient?

Nadine,

I think you would be okay with just watching the beginning of the series. I saw the movie, but long before I ever watched the show. I saw the first couple of seasons in syndication, since the show was on Showtime (which I did not get) for its first 5 seasons. It was on late at night, but they were showing it at pretty much the same time that seasons 4 and 5 were on the air, I believe,

In any case, if anyone else has a different opinion on whether or not one should see the movie first, please chime in.

Carol

So many books, so little time...
Contributor
Stargate_Librarian
0 Kudos

I saw the SG-1 tv show before I saw the movie (and I think I understood the movie more as a result.) If you watch the DVDs and really enjoy them, then you must read "Stepping through the Stargate" by P.N. Elrod & Roxanne Conrad -- a collection of essays on the characters, philosophy, science of SG-1 -- a eally fun read.
Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy Movies: Stargate

Stargate_Librarian wrote:
I saw the SG-1 tv show before I saw the movie (and I think I understood the movie more as a result.) If you watch the DVDs and really enjoy them, then you must read "Stepping through the Stargate" by P.N. Elrod & Roxanne Conrad -- a collection of essays on the characters, philosophy, science of SG-1 -- a eally fun read.

My gosh! I didn't realize that there was a series like this around that is taken so seriously. There seems to be quite a few books out about the series including the one you mentioned. And a lot of serious scholars analyzing it. And a lot of emphasis on the mythology.

One book that caught my eye as a first-time viewer was Approaching the Possible by Jo Storm. It seems to be an episode by episode commentary. Does anyone have this book?

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Carol 

Hmmm.....now I think I"m a little daunted by the whole idea.  I'm not sure if I have the attention span to watch 10 seasons of a TV show on DVD I've never seen.  What they need to do is make a 2 hour long dvd that catches us non watchers up on everything that happened :smileywink:

I'm still trying to watch the 2nd season of Supernatural on DVD and I love that show.  By the way I saw Buck Rogers at the store the other day.  I loved the show as a kid but not sure I would like it now.  Does anyone have it and if so what do you think of the show now?

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

fforgnayr wrote:

Carol 

Hmmm.....now I think I"m a little daunted by the whole idea.  I'm not sure if I have the attention span to watch 10 seasons of a TV show on DVD I've never seen.  What they need to do is make a 2 hour long dvd that catches us non watchers up on everything that happened :smileywink:

I'm still trying to watch the 2nd season of Supernatural on DVD and I love that show.  By the way I saw Buck Rogers at the store the other day.  I loved the show as a kid but not sure I would like it now.  Does anyone have it and if so what do you think of the show now?

Buck Rogers, good but a little nostalgic. We bought it anyway though as well as the Space 1999 series from my husband childhood. Buck Rodgers got a good mastering. But if this wasn't one of your FAVORITE shows, rent it.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Chomp wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Bradinator1 wrote:

Ok. I'm ashamed and embarrased to admit that I forgot this one. You will be too. I hope the Sci-fi/fantasy gods forgive me.

Princess Bride- Who doesn't like this movie?! If you don't have qoutes from this movie you utter regularly I'd be shocked. My personal favorites "Have fun storming the castle boys!" & "I'm Waiting!".

Didn't see it on the lists, and I feel badly about it.

Stardust- loved the movie only liked the book. My wife, a non-sci-fi person, thought Septimus was the greatest.

Brad

My name is Ingo Montaya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

As you wish.

(chuckle and sigh) well someone got the joke.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Buck Rogers, good but a little nostalgic. We bought it anyway though as well as the Space 1999 series from my husband childhood. Buck Rodgers got a good mastering. But if this wasn't one of your FAVORITE shows, rent it.

Tig:

Wasn't Buck Rogers the show with the annoying little robot? Or am I thinking of Battlestar Galactica?

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Twiggy!!, if you are talking about Twiggy he was the whole reason I watched Buck Rogers.  Twiggy for president (2012) that is!!!!!

paulgoatallen wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Tig:

Wasn't Buck Rogers the show with the annoying little robot? Or am I thinking of Battlestar Galactica?

Paul 

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Tig:

Paul 

The robot on Battlestar Galactica was a dog. You are either thinking of Buck Roger or mabey Black Hole. I've heard many people hateing both. But me I find them cute, probably being something to do with why I love Ewoks and Jawas too.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven

I like this thread. I've skimmed through the 5 pages of posts and have seen a lot of my favorites, BUT (you'll soon know me by my big BUT) I haven't seen my most recent favorite,

Cloverfield - I thought it was realistic because if it really happened, people just like the people in the film, wouldn't have a CLUE what was going on. It is not realistic that there is usually a pat answer for everything in SF movies. I am generally a big fan of the back-story but found myself very convinced by the lack thereof in this one.

There are more of us than you think.
New User
Lady-Sage

Here are a few of my favorites. They range from all over but all are worth watching.

Star Wars Trilogy (original)

Lord of the Rings

Star Trek: First Contact

Willow

Labyrinth

The Dark Crystal

Harry Potter

Dune & Children of Dune

Matrix

X-men

Spaceballs

Explorers

Final Fantasy

Short Circuit

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

pagemaven wrote:

I like this thread. I've skimmed through the 5 pages of posts and have seen a lot of my favorites, BUT (you'll soon know me by my big BUT) I haven't seen my most recent favorite,

Cloverfield - I thought it was realistic because if it really happened, people just like the people in the film, wouldn't have a CLUE what was going on. It is not realistic that there is usually a pat answer for everything in SF movies. I am generally a big fan of the back-story but found myself very convinced by the lack thereof in this one.

Ah gawhd AM I the only person who just hates shaky cam movies!? And there was way too much shaky cam in that movie and less than 1 min screen time with the entirety of the monster. Terrible movie if I have to have the DVD and the pause button to get even a half *ss look at the monster.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I really liked the movie as well.  Especially that they didn't try to explain the monster, not every movie needs an explanation.  That and I like movies were the good guys don't always win at the end.  I liked Darkness for the sam reason.

pagemaven wrote:

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Lady-Sage wrote:

Here are a few of my favorites. They range from all over but all are worth watching.

Star Wars Trilogy (original)

Lord of the Rings

Star Trek: First Contact

Willow

Labyrinth

The Dark Crystal

Harry Potter

Dune & Children of Dune

Matrix

X-men

Spaceballs

Explorers

Final Fantasy

Short Circuit

Finally another Willow fan!
Message Edited by fforgnayr on 11-13-2008 11:12 PM

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

No, Tiggerbear, a lot of people didn't like the shaky cam. I personally didn't notice it all that much as I was so involved in the story (or is it because I work with heroin addicts and I'm used to the "shakes")?

Seriously, I read professional reviewer who said he (she?) had to go throw up because of the shaky cam. I found that silly and hard to believe, but could be I guess. How about Aliens? That was my absolute favorite fora long time.

There are more of us than you think.
Contributor
genkisama
0 Kudos

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned here but I like Merlin its a good movie.