Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy Movies

pagemaven wrote:

One of these serials was called something like  "The [something-or-other] Phantom, and involved  some guy who used to stick something like a large, bullet-shaped diving bell over his head, on top of a jumpsuit like costume...

If I remember correctly (not that I always do) it was the Purple Phantom. The serials were fun, but they always cheated. They gave you a cliff-hanger at the end of an episode, and then there was a little additional twist in the next episode that made it possible for the hero to survive. It really used to torque me off, cheating like that.

Hello, pagemaven ---

Actually, I believe you are absolutely right! ---

In fact, I almost wrote down "Purple Phantom", at first, because that was the exact name that had stuck in my head, after all these years ---

But then, in a fit of over-cautiousness, I hestitated, because, I was remembering how these old serials were all filmed in Black & White - ( so why would they call it "Purple"? ) ---

You are also absolutely right on how these same serials "cheated" the audience with each and every "cliffhanger" ending --

A tpical example:

The car goes over the cliff, in flames, and plummets to the depths below ( presumably with the hero on board ) ---

Then, when we pick up where we left off ( when the next episode is shown ) it is revealed, in the opening scenes, how the hero somehow managed to jump out of the car at the very last moment ---

They used to lampoon this device in the mock adventure serials in "Rocky And Bullwinkle" -

The 1960's "Batman" TV series did the same ---

"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

I apologize for getting sidetracked several times before, talking about these free matinee shows for kiddies, ( although it's been fun! ) - there was originally a main purpose ( or two ) when I first set out ---

Besides the items I have mentioned before, they also had "The Main Feature" - Full length movies - some of which were definitely in the Fantasy realm --

"Jason And The Argonauts" was one of these films - Greek and Roman mythology provided plenty of material for Fantasy films -

I think possibly the Oddyseus/Ulysees story was also turned into one of these films...

The "special effects" were state-of-the-art ( for the time! ) -

I'm pretty sure Harry Heyerhausen (sp?) was overseeing the stop-action photography and amimated models, resulting in such scenes as the battle with an army of skeletons, which kept springing up out of the ground, sprouting from dragon's teeth (?) ---

There was another movie I wanted to talk about, which could be one of those "lost" films,

because I was pretty sure that Kirk Douglas was in, but I have been unable to find it in his filmography - technically speaking, it wasn't really a Fantasy film ( it was closer to highly romanticized Historical Fiction/ Action Adventure ) but it did have some elements in it that were so improbable, so fantastic, that it verged on Fantasy --

I'll be back in half-a-mo', to describe this film... ---

^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

--- OK, here's the jist of this "lost" movie I was talking about:

A band of adventurous vikings, led ( as I recall ) by Kirk Douglas ( but this movie was NOT

"The Vikings" - it could possibly have been made as some kind of sequel to that film )

hear tale of a horde of golden treasure, located somewhere around "the ends of the earth", and they promptly set out to locate this legendary treasure...

Somewhere in their travels, they run into some haughty "moors", whose captain may or may not have been Sydney Poitier, and the viking captain ( Douglas ) gets placed on a highly improbable looking execution contraption, but is spared, possibly when he agrees to share in the search for the gold...

Both camps continue on to a mountainside by the sea, where there is an empty monastery bulding at the top of the hill, which is where the treasure is located ---

The viking chief enters the building, to find nothing but cavernous emptiness under the dome of the building - there is only a small golden bell hanging from the ceiling, and in his anger and frustration, he swings the bell wildly, and then, as his ears become filled with a deafening noise, he realizes that the giant golden bell has been disguised  underneath the dome of the building, and the loud ringing fills the hillsides and echoes around....

The giant golden bell is uncovered and removed, and winds up rolling down the hillside, crushing the noble chief of the moors at the bottom of the hillside ---

I thought it was very thrilling stuff when I was a kid - But, it could be that it was decided the movie was so bad, so outrageously corny, that it flopped so badly, it became "lost" on purpose ---

^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

oldBPLstackdenizen wrote:

--- OK, here's the jist of this "lost" movie I was talking about:

A band of adventurous vikings, led ( as I recall ) by Kirk Douglas ( but this movie was NOT

"The Vikings" - it could possibly have been made as some kind of sequel to that film )

hear tale of a horde of golden treasure, located somewhere around "the ends of the earth", and they promptly set out to locate this legendary treasure...

Somewhere in their travels, they run into some haughty "moors", whose captain may or may not have been Sydney Poitier, and the viking captain ( Douglas ) gets placed on a highly improbable looking execution contraption, but is spared, possibly when he agrees to share in the search for the gold...

Both camps continue on to a mountainside by the sea, where there is an empty monastery bulding at the top of the hill, which is where the treasure is located ---

The viking chief enters the building, to find nothing but cavernous emptiness under the dome of the building - there is only a small golden bell hanging from the ceiling, and in his anger and frustration, he swings the bell wildly, and then, as his ears become filled with a deafening noise, he realizes that the giant golden bell has been disguised  underneath the dome of the building, and the loud ringing fills the hillsides and echoes around....

The giant golden bell is uncovered and removed, and winds up rolling down the hillside, crushing the noble chief of the moors at the bottom of the hillside ---

I thought it was very thrilling stuff when I was a kid - But, it could be that it was decided the movie was so bad, so outrageously corny, that it flopped so badly, it became "lost" on purpose ---

Dear old stack'

You are thinking of The Long Ships, and it was Richard Widmark, not Kirk Douglas. You are quite right about the haughty moor played wonderfully (as always) by Sidney Poitier. I remember this movie well. The execution device was called (I think)The Golden Mare, and I swear it is what gave birth to the joke about sliding down a razor blade into a barrel of alcohol. It's the same movie where they fed Oscar Holmolka to the dogs (or was it bears)? Ah, happy matinee memories.  I didn't used to like the newsreels, but I remember them fondly now.

There are more of us than you think.
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Hello, pagemaven! ~~~

Thanks for filling me in, all about my "lost" matinee movie!

( I guess I should have "wikipeidia-ed" Sidney Poitier, instead of Kirk Douglas )...

Yes, I still remember that absolutely preposterous "execution device" in the movie with a touch of sentimental fondness...

It really did look sort of like a giant slide-thingy, almost like something you might find at

the "Children's Fairyland" theme park - except it was supposed to be so menacing looking, so nastily wicked and threatening in appearance...

I think maybe in my more gullible days of childhood ( when one tended to believe, or at least, wanted to believe, what one saw in the movies ), I thought Mr Widmark really had been placed at the top of the slide, and if there had been a slip up, well,,,,  

^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I just saw Warriors of Virtue on cable the other day and I had forgotten how much I liked it
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven

Ryan_G wrote:
I just saw Warriors of Virtue on cable the other day and I had forgotten how much I liked it

I DO like Angus McFadyen, (or at least his part) of pretty much whatever he's in.
There are more of us than you think.
Contributor
Brisbey

If you guys haven't seen the trailer for 9, the new Tim Burton animated film, it looks *fantastic*.  Post-apocalyptic ragdolls is all I can say.

-Brisbey

=====
- Brisbey

[Insert witty, meaningful or absurd quote here.]
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Thanks Brisbey.  Here is the trailer from youtube.  It looks really, really good.  It fits into this months theme of books as well.

Contributor
Brisbey
0 Kudos

The first word that comes to mind every time I see that trailer is 'epic'.

I saw it first when I went to see Coraline and was so excited about 9 that I got a little bored during Coraline.  Which isn't to say that it was bad; Coraline was cute.

-Brisbey

=====
- Brisbey

[Insert witty, meaningful or absurd quote here.]
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Anyone remember this animated SF classic from 1973?

Fantastic Planet 

I've watched this movie dozens of times and it never gets old. One of the best SF movies ever made, in my opinion...

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Fantastic Planet 

I've watched this movie dozens of times and it never gets old. One of the best SF movies ever made, in my opinion...

Paul 

Why doI have vague childhood memorys of that blue guy?

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I know I started this thread to talk about our favorite movies, but I just saw one of the worst genre movies ever so I have to say something about it.  I saw The Knowing tonight and I wish with everything in me that I didn't know it.  It was a badly done comination of SciFi and Religon and it doesn't work on either level.  Between the alien/angels and the ending Garden of Eden both of which seem to come out of the blue.  It's almost as if they were wanting it to be a twist ending.  Unfortunately it just seems to come out of the blue and doesn't really fit in with the rest of the movie.  Oh yeah, one other thing.  If somone can explain to me how Nicholas Cage's character is acted any differetnly from those in Ghostrider, 8 mm, Snake Eyes, or anyother movies he has been in please let me know.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Fantastic Planet 

Paul 

Tigger:

I'll bet I know the answer! Back in the '70s, when we first got cable, there was a show on late Saturday night called Night Flight and they showed really cool, independent film-type movies all the time. Fantastic Planet was on the regular rotation and they probably played it once or twice a year... I'll bet you that you watched some of this movie and didn't even know it!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Fantastic Planet 

Paul 

Tigger:

I'll bet I know the answer! Back in the '70s, when we first got cable, there was a show on late Saturday night called Night Flight and they showed really cool, independent film-type movies all the time. Fantastic Planet was on the regular rotation and they probably played it once or twice a year... I'll bet you that you watched some of this movie and didn't even know it!

Paul 

Hmm It's got to be those shaky pre 2 year old memories. Those are always foggy, accept for a few. But we didn't have cable, Dad had it took off, too much sex in his mind for a kid. Nakedness was never an issue, but Cinemax was pretty close to the Playboy Channel back in the day. (shrug) Mabey a babysitter was watching it or something. Don't remember the movie, but a close up of that blue guy leaning his head in I've got.

Contributor
Wilshire

I know I started this thread to talk about our favorite movies, but I just saw one of the worst genre movies ever so I have to say something about it.  I saw The Knowing tonight and I wish with everything in me that I didn't know it.  It was a badly done comination of SciFi and Religon and it doesn't work on either level.  Between the alien/angels and the ending Garden of Eden both of which seem to come out of the blue.  It's almost as if they were wanting it to be a twist ending.  Unfortunately it just seems to come out of the blue and doesn't really fit in with the rest of the movie.  Oh yeah, one other thing.  If somone can explain to me how Nicholas Cage's character is acted any differetnly from those in Ghostrider, 8 mm, Snake Eyes, or anyother movies he has been in please let me know.

I must agree, the mix did come out twisted.  Although, I thought the movie was just okay - not bad but not something I would buy.

I want to know about the Star Trek movie comeing out.  I think it may look good.

And, for the Marval fans, Wolverine was awesome.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Wilshire wrote:

I so want to go see Wolverine, which I hope to this weekend! Would you rate it better than X-Men or not so much?

Carmen

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:

Wilshire wrote:

I so want to go see Wolverine, which I hope to this weekend! Would you rate it better than X-Men or not so much?

Carmen

Ahh Wolverine... you know one of those awsome movies that still mananges to be hokey.

Yep it's one.

Anyone remember "CD the diskman" from the Hellraiser series?  Factor X, same way.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

Wilshire wrote:

Carmen

Ahh Wolverine... you know one of those awsome movies that still mananges to be hokey.

Yep it's one.

Anyone remember "CD the diskman" from the Hellraiser series?  Factor X, same way.

Definitely going this weekend! Thanks Tig!

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
TiggerBear

Star Trek is so amazingly freeking fantastic wonderful blowaway want to go see it again the moment the credits roll of a movie!

What are you waiting for?