Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
BrightPathways
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite SciFi TV Shows

Thanks so much Jeff, I'll check em out. 

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

Gnomadic wrote:

1. Twilight Zone

2. Outer Limits

3. Friday the 13th: The Series

4. Night Gallery

(hmm do we see a pattern... :smileywink:)

Gnomadic

I'm so glad someone finally mentioned all three of Outer Limits, Twilight Zone and Night Gallery; I liked all three!

Jeff

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

BrightPathways wrote:

Thanks so much Jeff, I'll check em out. 

I knew if I just thought about it for a minute, more of them would occur to me!

Spock, Messiah!, 1976, by Theodore R. Cogswell and Charles A. Spano, Jr.  The fact that a ding-a-ling like Ensign George could never have made it through the psychiatric screening at the Academy really doesn't spoil this adventure on a planet similar to our Middle Ages.

The Galactic Whirlpool, 1980, by David Gerrold.  According to The Trouble With Tribbles, this was one of five ideas David Gerrold originally wanted to pitch to Paramount.  (One was Tribbles; another was about a three-foot-tall teddy bear that, in order to survive, has developed the ability to empathically make everyone like him too much.)  One of the reasons they settled on Tribbles was that this story would have been hard to do justice to in only one episode.  I'm thinking they might have managed it, but ya never know . . .

Jeff 

Inspired Contributor
rosilynn_grey
0 Kudos

well, I'm not sure if this could be included but I enjoy Haven.  LIke I said I dont know if anyone else watches this or not. its based on "The Colorado Kid" by : Stephen King

Christina
Correspondent
1archi1
0 Kudos

I love Fringe and the new show The Event, there is something SciFi happening w/ that show.  When I watched the season premiere I thought of Lost.  Although when I first saw Lost I told my mom that they are probably all dead waiting to go to heaven and what happen...they were all dead.  So far The Event has me wanting more, we will see what happens during the rest of the season or if it gets cancelled before that.

:smileyhappy:
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G

I watched the first episode of Falling Skies on TNT last night and I loved it.  If this doesn't go down as one of the best SciFi shows, I don't know what will.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Contributor
Ape1
0 Kudos

I need more Fire Fly! I was very glad to see Nathan Fillion voice the Hal Jordan. in GL Emerald Knights.

Frequent Contributor
bga_reviews
0 Kudos

Jefferson_Thomas wrote:

Like the other "old" posters, I remember Time Tunnel, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, It's About Time, Quark and Lost in Space.  Some of the guys in my neighborhood were scum, and so used to sing:

"It's about time;

It's about space;

It's about time

to slap your face."

and then suit action to word. 

Heh, I don't remember much about the actual TV show, but I sure remember the alternate lyrics!

There was also The Immortal, which was based on a James Gunn novel, about an immortal being chased because a transfusion of his blood had life-saving properties.

RHWright
0 Kudos

Falling Skies seems to be going in the right direction.

Also enjoying Outcasts & Battlestar Galactica on BBC America.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I'm not sure I'm liking Outcasts so much.  There is just something about it that is grating on my nerves a bit.  I'll keep watching it, since if I read it right, it's only 8 episodes long.

RHWright wrote:

Falling Skies seems to be going in the right direction.

Also enjoying Outcasts & Battlestar Galactica on BBC America.

Reader 2
Blakebury
0 Kudos

In no order, of course:

• Xena
  • Battlestar Galactica (new)
  • Stargate SG1 (started out iffy, but got pretty good)
  • Stargate Atlantis (I find myself re-watching this series over and over)
  • Cleopatra 2525 (Came on late late at night, started as 30 min episodes beside Jack of All Trades, then got a full hour slot, then disappeared from earth)
  • Futurama! (Come on, it counts)

I'm just getting into sci-fi, so I'm sure I'll find a lot more as I go :smileytongue:

_Blakebury

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1

Have to shout out for Falling Skies. It's really pretty good. Was iffy about it, even my wife likes it and she is not a sci-fi person. You should watch it..really!

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Inspired Correspondent
jaquellae

My all time favorites are:

• Babylon 5
  • X-files
  • Firefly
  • the Star Trek series, TNG is my favorite
  • Stargate SG-1
  • Torchwood

I am enjoying Fringe, Falling Skies and Warehouse 13 (when I remember to catch it), as well as The Walking Dead. I enjoyed the reboot of V, but liked the original better. Campy late 70's/early 80's scifi has a soft spot in my heart, what can I say? Does anyone remember Buck Rogers? I remember wanting to be the female fighter pilot from that, or Bonnie from Knight Rider. I also enjoyed the original Battlestar Galactica, but never got into the reboot.

Bradinator1
0 Kudos

jaquellae wrote:

My all time favorites are:

• Babylon 5
  • X-files
  • Firefly
  • the Star Trek series, TNG is my favorite
  • Stargate SG-1
  • Torchwood

I am enjoying Fringe, Falling Skies and Warehouse 13 (when I remember to catch it), as well as The Walking Dead. I enjoyed the reboot of V, but liked the original better. Campy late 70's/early 80's scifi has a soft spot in my heart, what can I say? Does anyone remember Buck Rogers? I remember wanting to be the female fighter pilot from that, or Bonnie from Knight Rider. I also enjoyed the original Battlestar Galactica, but never got into the reboot.

I loved Buck Rogers!!! I never missed it. I liked both Galactica's but for different reasons of course. There really is something to be said for cheey 80s sci-fi

And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Speaking of Buck Rogers, does anyone remember this episode?

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Or this character?

Thom Christopher as Hawk - BUCK ROGERS IN THE 25TH CENTURY

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Woot! The Gary Coleman episode!! Wasn't he some sort of genius in this one? And yes Paul I remember the Hawk guy for your other post.

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul

Inspired Contributor
JedStarkiller
0 Kudos

I've seen some of my faves listed here already so here is my list which will coincide a lot with others.

• Stargate SG-1 
  • Stargate Atlantis
  • Stargate Universe
  • Doctor Who
  • Torchwood
  • Star Trek (all)
  • Eureka
  • Warehouse 13
  • Firefly
  • Transformers (Original Cartoon)

Thats all that I can think of off hand.

From the mind of me....

New Tech Support Forum - http://community.jvgeek.com
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I haven't watched the show in years, but I do have the complete series on DVD.  I need to get watching them sometime soon.

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul

Inspired Correspondent
jaquellae
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

I haven't watched the show in years, but I do have the complete series on DVD.  I need to get watching them sometime soon.

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul

Yeah, I vaguely remember putting it on my instant queue for Netflix, but have been on a X-Files thing lately. I might have to go and rewatch a few episodes... I also keep meaning to rewatch my Wonder Woman DVDs. I'm not showing my age, am I? At least not too much? :smileyvery-happy: