Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Spazze
0 Kudos

Re: Torchwood (May be Spoilers)

I think that the problem with Torchwood is that with the producer changing hands it's future is... dim. I did find all the episodes, and the miniseries, to be quite enjoyable and loved the humanity of it as well as the edge that it was given. The darker side of Dr. Who indeed.

If you happened to have watched the Dr. Who episode from... last season I think, you will find that Captain Jack may be the Face of Bo. I had some British friends tell me that in the Dr. Who Confidential they said that Davies put it in as a joke, but it still makes the character more interesting.

IMHO, Dr. Who would be a little better if the people didn't jump ship every season for other jobs. Not wanting to be typecast seems to be the pervading reason for leaving, but 3 Dr's in such a short time is too many.

Off that and onto my favorite shows:

Firefly is a must. Sad to say I didn't think I would like it.

Babylon 5. The scope of the series is amazing.

Treks that had Rodenberry as writer/producer for their morality. The rest for some story.

Stargate SG1 for it's whimsy. Anyone remember the repeat time episode where they are shooting golf balls through the gate?

Eureka. Cuz it's just damn good TV. 

I know there are others, but it's late and I need a nap.

Funny thing is, most all of these shows were on SciFi at some point. I can remember Land of the Lost was on at 7am back in the early 90's, because I would turn off the TV right after Robotech which was on at 6:30. 

Wordsmith
Capuchin
0 Kudos

Spazze wrote:

Stargate SG1 for it's whimsy. Anyone remember the repeat time episode where they are shooting golf balls through the gate?

I can't imagine anyone not having a favorite SG1 episode.

Whimsy? What other show would have dared to use the line, "What are you, MacGyver?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards." -- Robert Heinlein
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Capuchin wrote:

Spazze wrote:

Whimsy? What other show would have dared to use the line, "What are you, MacGyver?"

Oh, Oh MacGyver.  I use to love watching that show! I thought he was amazing in the ideas to make some of the things he had to make.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Capuchin wrote:

Spazze wrote:

Royal Pains pilot episode did.

Frequent Contributor
StarChaserNX
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite SciFi TV Shows

[ Edited ]

My favorite series would be Star Trek: The Next Generation.  Took me a while to get used to at first. 

I thought the Enterprise-D looked weird compared to the original Enterprise.  I thought that the saucer section was horribly disfigured.  The warp engines were too small, were swept forward, and were below the saucer section unlike the long nacelles of the original and movie Enterprise.  I also thought it strange that the Captain was bald. 

Now I look at the Enterprise-D as a very beautiful ship and is my second favorite (the movie Enterprise is still my favorite). 

I also know that if ever become bald, I can still be a cool starship captain. 

I also have a liking for the two Star Gate series and Eureka. 

If I'm feeling whimisical, I also don't mind watching the original Battlestar Galatica and Star Wars: The Clone Wars series and the Star Wars: Clone Wars mini series. 

I also remember watching the first two seasons of seaQuest.  It is very unfortunate Firefly had a short life. 

I did not like Star Trek: Enterprise, pity, I rather liked the ship itself.

Message Edited by StarChaserNX on 08-14-2009 01:52 AM
Everyone is normal... until you get to know them.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

StarChaserNX wrote:

My favorite series would be Star Trek: The Next Generation.  Took me a while to get used to at first. 

I thought the Enterprise-D looked weird compared to the original Enterprise.  I thought that the saucer section was horribly disfigured.  The warp engines were too small, were swept forward, and were below the saucer section unlike the long nacelles of the original and movie Enterprise.  I also thought it strange that the Captain was bald. 

Now I look at the Enterprise-D as a very beautiful ship and is my second favorite (the movie Enterprise is still my favorite). 

I also know that if ever become bald, I can still be a cool starship captain. 

I also have a liking for the two Star Gate series and Eureka. 

If I'm feeling whimisical, I also don't mind watching the original Battlestar Galatica and Star Wars: The Clone Wars series and the Star Wars: Clone Wars mini series. 

I also remember watching the first two seasons of seaQuest.  It is very unfortunate Firefly had a short life. 

Wasn't that last one the retched Scott Baccula job?

Frequent Contributor
StarChaserNX
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

StarChaserNX wrote:

Yes it was. 

Everyone is normal... until you get to know them.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

StarChaserNX wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

StarChaserNX wrote:

Yes it was. 

(shudder)

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee

1.  Stargate Sg-1 is my all-time favorite.  Watching the whole series on DVD is a fantastic experience.  Watching the out-takes on those same DVD's is also fun.  There's one from the "Solitudes" episode wherein O'Neill (played by Richard Dean Anderson of MacGyver fame) and Carter are stranded in Antarctica and O'Neill is hurt.  Carter, trying to break through the ice to get to the DHD yells at him for having changed from being MacGyver to  "MacUseless" -- see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PdY3L-JYzk&feature=related 

2.  Stargate Atlantis.  I also have this whole series on DVD.  The Rodney McKay humor is hilarious.  One of the best moments was when he, in desperate straights when told that he had to "catch a baby"  told a delivering mother to "pitch underhand because I was never any good at baseball!"

3.  All of the Star Trek series.   I enjoyed the original as a teenager but after seeing every episode a thousand times it is too easy to laugh AT them versus WITH them, but William Shatner is probably doing the same thing.  The Next Generation has a lot more depth and is probably now my favorite.  Next would be Voyager, then any episode of Deep Space Nine that had Quark in it, then Enterprise.  Enterprise did not have enough humor in it, though.   I probably have 90% of the whole franchise on home recorded VHS tapes.

4.  SeaQuest DSV and 2032.  That was a terrific show and it was sad that it did not last too long.   Peter DeLuise, whose character provided most of the comic relief for the show (along with his brother) became a director and producer for the Stargate series.  I taped all of the episodes on VHS and will soon purchase them on DVD.

If I were stuck on a desert island and could only bring four series (or franchises) with me, the ones listed above would be my choices.  What they have in common, aside from the techno babble and social themes is a liberal dose of comic relief.

But I also enjoyed Farscape, Quantum Leap, Sliders, A Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Voyage to the Bottom of The Sea, some of the older Dr. Who programs, Time Tunnel, The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (my first favorite TV show!) and many of the older programs mentioned in this thread.

I am also currently enjoying Warehouse 13 and Eureka.   I will probably enjoy them more in the future when I can see them on DVD without commercial interruption.  It really makes a difference!

One show which I hated was the last rendition of Battlestar Gallactica.  I enjoyed the old one and wanted to enjoy this last one, but after six episodes I stopped watching.  It was way too dark for my tastes and was totally lacking in humor.

Contributor
onalake1
0 Kudos

I'm getting into the thread a bit late but here are my favorite shows in order:

Babylon 5 - (I watch all the dvds about every 5 years to re-live this great story. My all time favorite)

Firefly - (I didn't appreciate it when it first showed but love it now)

Star Trek Next Generation - (great character and great writing)

Stargate Atlantis - (so much better than original show and better writing)

X-Files - (very good but hated having so many questions unanswered for so long)

Star Trek - (the one that got it all started)

Torchwood - only saw season 1 but think it has good potential)

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Any additional Warehouse 13 fans out there?

This was a new series on the SyFy channel that just ended its first season here September 23, 2009 (I think this is the correct date).

This show has had some great ones and a few slow moving ones.  But as an over all I enjoy the series.  And a nice plus is I can watch it with my son.

***SPOILERS IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN IT YET***

Well, this season really ended with a bang.  (And literally as well.)  I am really curious as to what is going to happen next season.  Arnie got stuck in the entrance tube when his arch enemy set the self destruct on it so no one could get in our out through the main entrance.  My son seems to think he is somewhere, down in the pit or something, I think he is deceased.  But, then we have poor Chloe leaving because everyone thinks she was the one who helped the bad guy get out.  Then we have the woman we all NEVER thought twice about being the one that really was the helper to the bad guy.  Wow!

Now, they all work in the warehouse and know what kind of crazy things can happen and you not be the one or be made to do something against your will.  I really do look forward to the show coming back next season.  (I think there season is more summer into fall.)

This was a cliffhanger to be left with…

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Author
VictoriaJanssen
0 Kudos

Blake's 7, hands down..

I also love Dr. Who.

MOONLIGHT MISTRESS, December 2009 from Harlequin Spice
THE DUCHESS, HER MAID, THE GROOM AND THEIR LOVER, Harlequin Spice.
www.victoriajanssen.com
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Warehouse 13

Melhay wrote:

Any additional Warehouse 13 fans out there?

This was a new series on the SyFy channel that just ended its first season here September 23, 2009 (I think this is the correct date).

This show has had some great ones and a few slow moving ones.  But as an over all I enjoy the series.  And a nice plus is I can watch it with my son.

***SPOILERS IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN IT YET***

Well, this season really ended with a bang.  (And literally as well.)  I am really curious as to what is going to happen next season.  Arnie got stuck in the entrance tube when his arch enemy set the self destruct on it so no one could get in our out through the main entrance.  My son seems to think he is somewhere, down in the pit or something, I think he is deceased.  But, then we have poor Chloe leaving because everyone thinks she was the one who helped the bad guy get out.  Then we have the woman we all NEVER thought twice about being the one that really was the helper to the bad guy.  Wow!

Now, they all work in the warehouse and know what kind of crazy things can happen and you not be the one or be made to do something against your will.  I really do look forward to the show coming back next season.  (I think there season is more summer into fall.)

This was a cliffhanger to be left with…

Yes, I've been watching it!  It's one of the series I have been following On Demand.  It's a lot of fun with likeable characters, even though nothing earthshattering.  Some nice light entertainment.  I liked seeing Roger Rees as the bad guy, too.  And you're right on the twist at the end - who would have thought it?  I knew it couldn't be Chloe, though (although I did have a few seconds of doubt).  Considering where they all live, this could have some interesting consequences.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Contributor
bmeadows

Hello People--

My favorite shows are as follows, although I'm still in the process of expanding my sci-fi/fantasy TV show horizons. =)

1.) Stargate SG-1

2.) Stargate: Atlantis

3.) Hercules

4.) Xena: Warrior Princess

5.) The Pretender

6.) Sanctuary

7.) Star Trek (The Original Series)

8.) Star Trek: The Next Generation

9.) Angel

10.) Highlander

Does Angel count as part of the fantasy genre? Oh well. Still liked the show. Even though Supernatural isn't a part of the genre, I enjoy that one also. And also Smallville.

B.Meadows

Correspondent
ParkerS17
0 Kudos

Has anyone been watching V? I'm pretty sure that it's a remake of and older show with the same name.  I like the one that's on right now, but I was wondering how it compares with the original series.

Hands, like secrets, are the hardest thing to keep from you
Lines and phrases, like knives, your words can cut me through
Dismantle me down (repair) you dismantle me, you dismantle me
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

ParkerS17 wrote:

Has anyone been watching V? I'm pretty sure that it's a remake of and older show with the same name.  I like the one that's on right now, but I was wondering how it compares with the original series.

Original 80%, New 74% great but since there will be more......

Inspired Contributor
2manybooks2read
0 Kudos

Firefly-I just got this as an early christmas present.It is wonderful and I can't believe it was taken off the air.So far I have watch about 7 episodes and love everything about Firefly.

Fringe

Lost-Only have season 1 but plan on getting the other seasons soon.I think it pretty good.

I also like Moonlight,Legend of the Seeker,Vampire Diaries,and Smallville but I don't think those count

~Nikki
pen21
0 Kudos

I love Fireflly, it was a great series, hated to see it end. Have you seen the movie Serenity, it was a good movie with the same case, done a few years after the cancellation.

That is one set of DVDs I have watched many times.

pen21

2manybooks2read wrote:

Firefly-I just got this as an early christmas present.It is wonderful and I can't believe it was taken off the air.So far I have watch about 7 episodes and love everything about Firefly.

Fringe

Lost-Only have season 1 but plan on getting the other seasons soon.I think it pretty good.

I also like Moonlight,Legend of the Seeker,Vampire Diaries,and Smallville but I don't think those count

Contributor
ruthyc
0 Kudos

okay, i'm gonna throw something out here...the west wing. i know, i know, but hear me out. the show is set on an alternate earth, which is its own subgenre of science fiction. the last president we share in common with that world is nixon, the september 11th attacks never happened there and their nasa found proof of life on mars. i know i'm out on a limb here but i think there's a case to be made.

Contributor
Redeyes

Getting in to the thread late...

- Babylon 5

- Star Trek (Original series)

- Battlestar Galactica (Remake)

- Stargate SG1

- X Files

- Lost

- Earth - Final Conflict

- Twilight Zone (Original)