Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

SciFi TV Shows: Lost

I had never heard of Lost. I don't watch TV much. But I was intrigued with the fact that it caused such a national reaction when it was thought that the premier episode of the final season could possibly be bumped by the State of the Union Address. Well, I figured this might be quite a series if there was some serious consideration of the scheduling problem (the State of the Union will be delivered on January 27 instead of February 2 the date for the first episode of Lost.) So I got some of the first season from Netflix and it really grabbed my interest. This is a very well done series.

With a little more research I discovered there were at least 15 books analyzing the series and clues as to what is really going on. That is quite impressive. There are also tons of web sites devoted to the same topics. Well, there are more than 100 episodes between the pilot and the cliff-hanger last episode of the Fifth season. So I figured I had better fast-forward to the Fifth season if I was going to make sense of the first episode in February. No way! I was totally and literally lost! I guess this is series that you have to go through systematically.

What really got my interest was that there is a known ending that all this is headed for and getting there is a real mystery puzzler with loads of clues along the way. We have done this with books before -- tried to guess what is really happening and how it is all going to be resolved. But we have never done this with a TV series. Especially one like this where the end is in sight but still unknown. This is definitely in the Science Fiction/Fantasy realm. In the fifth season they seem to be caught is some sort of "time slip."

So I was wondering if any of you are interesting in opening a thread on this and discussing it? I am still back on Season 1 but I figure I can caught up by the seaon finale in May, quite likely sooner. Each eposode does seem to keep you moving forward!

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: SciFi TV Shows: Lost

Nadine wrote:

I had never heard of Lost. I don't watch TV much. But I was intrigued with the fact that it caused such a national reaction when it was thought that the premier episode of the final season could possibly be bumped by the State of the Union Address. Well, I figured this might be quite a series if there was some serious consideration of the scheduling problem (the State of the Union will be delivered on January 27 instead of February 2 the date for the first episode of Lost.) So I got some of the first season from Netflix and it really grabbed my interest. This is a very well done series.

With a little more research I discovered there were at least 15 books analyzing the series and clues as to what is really going on. That is quite impressive. There are also tons of web sites devoted to the same topics. Well, there are more than 100 episodes between the pilot and the cliff-hanger last episode of the Fifth season. So I figured I had better fast-forward to the Fifth season if I was going to make sense of the first episode in February. No way! I was totally and literally lost! I guess this is series that you have to go through systematically.

What really got my interest was that there is a known ending that all this is headed for and getting there is a real mystery puzzler with loads of clues along the way. We have done this with books before -- tried to guess what is really happening and how it is all going to be resolved. But we have never done this with a TV series. Especially one like this where the end is in sight but still unknown. This is definitely in the Science Fiction/Fantasy realm. In the fifth season they seem to be caught is some sort of "time slip."

So I was wondering if any of you are interesting in opening a thread on this and discussing it? I am still back on Season 1 but I figure I can caught up by the seaon finale in May, quite likely sooner. Each eposode does seem to keep you moving forward!

Nadine:

Yes, I don't watch much TV too but I've reviewed a "Lost" novel and run across literally dozens of reference guides!

As far as starting a thread, we did have a CRAZY Lost thread here but I believe it was moved to Arts & Entertainment. Let me see if I can find the thread for you....   :smileyhappy:

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Here it is, Nadine...

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Arts-Entertainment/Literarily-Lost-TV-Show/m-p/314937#U314937

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Nadine
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Here it is, Nadine...

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Arts-Entertainment/Literarily-Lost-TV-Show/m-p/314937#U314937

Thanks for the link, Paul. I can read through these messages.

This seems to have been a very active thread with around 150 postings. Then on June 25, 2009 at 11:34 am Jon decided to move it to the A&E forum. Since then there doesn't seem to have been one posting to the thread. Probably because the people who are most likely to participate don't frequent that board. They are here.

Nadine

Re: Favorite SciFi TV Shows

I found this list for people who want to get on board Lost fast. B&N has a special on full-season episodes -- if you by two seasons you get the third one free.

--------------------------------------------------

The 'Lost' episodes you HAVE to watch before Season 6 starts

By Ryan McGee

January 14, 2010 5:11 PM

Season 1

Pilot: Kinda goes without saying, no? Plus, there's a chance that the Season 6 premiere might revisit one or more of these seminal scenes. If not the whole damn thing.

Walkabout: Where the show goes from "promising" to "holy hell, this might be brilliant."

White Rabbit: Worth it for the "what if" relationship of Jack/Locke, also introduces ghosts to the show's mythology. Ghosts that have haunted our characters ever since.

Solitary: Danielle + Whispers=FTW. The whispers will be solved this season. Don't worry.

Raised by Another: Might be the most vital ep you'll watch as Season 6 approaches. Seriously.

Special: Please, Walt, come back in Season 6. Vincent misses you.

Do No Harm: The show gets a heaping helping of stakes. RIP, Boone. Whatever "RIP" means in the "Lost" universe, at least.

Exodus: Tom Friendly's Gorton fisherman still terrifies.

Season 2

Orientation: "Man of Science, Man of Faith," is great, but this helps introduce the Dharma Initiative properly, bruthah.

The Other 48 Days: Straight-up brilliant, original storytelling in the "Lost" universe. Plus, a certain Tailie was recently confirmed to be returning this season. (More on this in a few eps.)

The 23rd Psalm: Eko owns. Best single-ep flashback ever? Possibly.

One of Them: The introduction of "Henry Gale." Need I say more?

Maternity Leave: It's Ladies Night! Oh, what a night.

Lockdown: Locke and Ben spend some quality time in the Hatch.

Dave: We might actually learn why Libby was in the asylum before all is said and done. Win!

Live Together, Die Alone: "I was wrong." Won't be the first time or the last, John.

Season 3

The Cost of Living: If you have to watch one ep during the Hydra Island arc, this is it.

Not in Portland: Pay close attention to what Richard shows Juliet. It's important going into Season 6.

Flashes Before Your Eyes: Rewatch and see how much Eloise is lying/midleading/choosing to omit.

Stranger in a Strange Land: Think, "If 'Lost' didn't get an end date, we would have gotten more eps like this." I know I've covered this before, but look: without an end date, it's possible the show falls off the cliff faster than Sarah McLachlan after releasing "Fumbling Towards Ecstasy." Imagine witnessing abandoned dogs and cats staring at us from inside polar bear cages, wondering what viewer at home might give them a fish biscuit. All I'm saying that we dodged a bullet, people. (Semi-related: this is my fave SNL bit all year, hands down. If nothing else, it will help contextualize my Sarah McLachlan rant for people who are wondering why I haven't moved onto the next episode yet.)

The Man from Tallahassee: Why the hell was Locke so wet after leaving the sub, hmm?

One of Us: Sigh. Juliet. You magnificently opaque character, you.

The Man Behind the Curtain: In light of the Season 5 finale, go back and pour over every nano-second of cabin time. Also, say hi to Annie. And that volcano. Just sayin'.

Through the Looking Glass: Let's all grow sympathy beards, shall we?

Season 4

Confirmed Dead: The Freighter Four trip the (strangely scattered) light fantastic!

The Constant: Do I have to explain? C'mon.

The Shape of Things to Come: Set up plot points still unspooling.

Cabin Fever: Richard's objects. Cabin Christian. Cabin Claire. Apollo Bars. Total brilliance.

There's No Place Like Home: Bloop!

Season 5

Because You Left: Establishes the time travel rules for Season 5. Plus? Shirtless Sawyer.

Jughead: Best use of the narrative possibilities of the time flashes.

This Place is Death: The end of the flashes, and the beginning of the end for Locke as we knew him.

The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham: A polarizing ep (and not a personal favorite), but its importance in the scheme of things is undeniable. And that big scene Locke/Ben scene is one for the ages.

LaFleur: Strongest character-centric ep of the season, albeit frustrating in light of how Sawyer/Juliet ended the season.

Whatever Happened, Happened: Kate's finest hour, and establishes a major arc for Season 6.

The Variable: Another controversial, divisive episode, but is rife with rich ideas both on and off the Island.

The Incident: "It only ends once. Anything before is just progress."

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas

A.  Original Trek, one of my favorite shows of all time.

B.  Next Generation.  The first few episodes were AWFUL, but they got better with practice.

C.  Man from U.N.C.L.E.  Not SF, but I agree with whoever else said they liked it.

D.  Speaking of U.N.C.L.E., does anyone else remember a series called Search?  Hugh O'Brien, Burgess Meredith, Doug McClure.  Not exactly SF either, but way cool gadgets, and great situations.  For example:

O'Brien:  May I go back to your hotel?

Beautiful Woman (there always was at least one):  May WE.

Translator at Probe Control (with exactly the right touch of smarminess):  If she's speaking French, the lady says yes.

After years of frustration, this one my finally be available on DVD.  If so, I'm buying it! 

Does anyone else remember Andromeda?  Kevin Sorbo, and I forget who else.  Majel Roddenberry had something to do with it.  Some episodes were great; some were just awful.  I had trouble getting past part of the premise:  your friend and first officer suddenly goes nuts and tries to kill you just because his species and yours are now at war?  Don't they have psychological testing to screen out that kind of thing?  Even if not, wouldn't the honorable thing to do be to resign like Southerners did at the outbreak of the Civil War?  Why kill your friend? 

I didn't like Voyager, Deep Space Nine or Enterprise anywhere near as much as the other Treks, but, like Andromeda, some episodes were well worth watching.

Like the other "old" posters, I remember Time Tunnel, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, It's About Time, Quark and Lost in Space.  Some of the guys in my neighborhood were scum, and so used to sing:

"It's about time;

It's about space;

It's about time

to slap your face."

and then suit action to word.  We geeks could start a whole thread concerning how often we were beaten up as children!  Also, we should consider writing some sort of anthem:  "Born to be Geeks," sung to the tune of "Born to be Wild."  You know, something like:

"Git yuh modem runnin';

Hit the Superhighway!

Desperate fo' a lovuh,

Or whatever comes our way!

Click your mouse; make it happen!

Git the world in a love embrace!

Launch all of your apps at once, and

Explode into space!"

Maybe.

Boy, did I get off topic!

Fringe; I like Fringe. 

Did anyone else watch a mini-series called, I think, Defying Gravity?  Other than a few silly holes in the logic, it wasn't bad. 

I know as soon as I hit "Post" I'll remember about 12 others! 

RHWright
0 Kudos

Babylon 5, hands down #1 of all time. Scope of story, characters, writing, the whole package.

ST franchise: Having seen & reseen most of them countless times, there's only a short list of episodes I can still get through and enjoy. Never really was a fan of Voyager. What I've seen of Enterprise is inconsistent but growing on me. Favorite of the bunch, oddly is DS9.

As a kid, I loved Lost in Space. Still like the early eps, but the camp can only be taken in low doses. I also loved the live action stuff on Saturday mornings by Filmation, Jason of Star Command, etc. I haven't seen them since then, though I here they were out on DVD at one time.

Quantum Leap rarely failed to deilver, other than its abrubt finale.

Dr. Who (both old & new). Though the latest series (& Dr) are taking a while to grow on me.

Space 1999. Red Dwarf. The Tomorrow People.

Does Smallville count? How about the too-short an outing for Flash Forward?

A short-lived series from the 80s I'd like to see again (and judge if it lives up to the memory): Otherworld.

Other short-lived 80s shows: The Phoenix, Probe, Q.E.D.

Ray Bradbury Theatre and of, course, that obscure anthology show called The Twilight Zone.

So many, so many more. Both those that others have mentioned and haven't. Too bad nothing current on the tube catches my imagination like those shows did when I was a kid. Guess I'm just old and cynical now. :smileywink:

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Is anyone else watching Haven on the syfy channel?  I'm still not sure what I think of it yet. 

What I do know is that I'm already annoyed with The Event and am not sure if I will even give it a try.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
pen21

Ryan_G wrote:

Is anyone else watching Haven on the syfy channel?  I'm still not sure what I think of it yet. 

What I do know is that I'm already annoyed with The Event and am not sure if I will even give it a try.

Hi Ryan,

I am watching Haven. I am still not sure. It's Ok for me at this point. It does seem like through a new paranormal thing in each week show. They need to step it up to keep viewers interested.

Luanne

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

"Haven" is good, actually I'll stay it's the best King TV/Movie in years. It's not great yet, and I waiting for them to bit-tic cheese King stuff to mess it all up. I'm hoping that day doesn't come for a few series years though.

As for "The Event" am I the only one getting the commercials as too much hype? (shrug) I wasn't looking to watch it either.

pen21
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

"Haven" is good, actually I'll stay it's the best King TV/Movie in years. It's not great yet, and I waiting for them to bit-tic cheese King stuff to mess it all up. I'm hoping that day doesn't come for a few series years though.

As for "The Event" am I the only one getting the commercials as too much hype? (shrug) I wasn't looking to watch it either.

"The Event" has had way too much hype. I doubt I will watch it. They are trying too hard, so it probably isn't very good.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Tig, if you are liking Haven I'll stick with it.  I'm not dislking it, it just seems a little off beat at times.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
TiggerBear

Ryan_G wrote:

Tig, if you are liking Haven I'll stick with it.  I'm not dislking it, it just seems a little off beat at times.

Yeah but I've never seen a SyFy production that managed not to be. And unlike most of the rest of "those" it has yet to degrade to sappy romcom material (I'm talking to you writers of Santuary!)

Actually you'll find Haven gets better the more episodes watched. And so long as it does either that or maintains I'll keep watching.

Contributor
Brekka

Catching this thread a little ... ok a lot late in the game but back to OLD posts 

Firefly/Serenity best scifi show ever, I own the box set and every few months go on a binge watching all the episodes from beginning to end then the movie. Nathan Fillion was perfect for the role in that show. He still loves it too with the shout out he gave it on his new series Castle the Halloween episode. If your a firefly fan you should try to catch that episode it was really great.  

Time is the coin of your life.
It is the only coin you have,
and only you can determine how it will be spent,
Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you- Carl Sandburg
Frequent Contributor
Gnomadic

Just ran across this tread (glad it got revived!)  I "skimmed" some of the previous posts and have found several shows that I plan to go back and check out.

Some of my favorites (not sure they all "officially count") are:

1. Twilight Zone

2. Outer Limits

3. Friday the 13th: The Series

4. Night Gallery

(hmm do we see a pattern... :smileywink:)

5. Forever Knight - In reviewing this thread I didn't see any mention of this show...for shame!  For those of you who have never heard of it, it is a Canadian based show that is kind of a precursor to Angel.  Long story short...man is brought across....man evolves and wants to become mortal again and repay society for his sins....he becomes a night shift cop and befriends a female coroner who wants to find a way to bring him "back across"...Part cop show, part drama, part historical recreation with a little romance thrown in for good measure. 

6. LOST- This stands for itself.  I was a little bummed by the ending but still loved every minute of it!  For anyone who hasn't delved into the series, I highly recommend it.  It was very well written and keeps you guessing (I am still guessing and have watched many of the episodes more than once!!) 

I am sure there are others that will come to mind later but there is my one and half cents worth..the other half cent may manifest in a future post.

Gnomadic

When you find yourself falling into the seas of madness, DIVE!
Wordsmith
Capuchin
0 Kudos

For me, Haven's biggest lure is that there's nothing else even halfway decent at that hour. It's okay, but hardly a must-watch.

They claim it's taken from King's "Colorado Kid" but it seems to me to be more closely related to the Krell's monsters of the id.

I haven't bothered recording any shows yet, but I'm fairly sure it'll break down as:

Minutes 0-3: something personal

3-6: half-seen terror

6-9: viewing the body and rehashing that "the troubles are coming"

9-11: some trivial task

etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum ad nauseam.

I don't have anything against formula plots, but I get the impression the writer's aren't just following guidelines, they're using carbon paper.

I must say that Doctor Who really picked up. The last two episodes were absobloodylutely fantastic! It took a while for Tenet to really grow on me, but that was only because he had to rebuild from a terrible introductory episode. Smith didn't have that handicap, but I still wasn't warming to him before those last episodes. Now it's going to be a long wait for the next season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards." -- Robert Heinlein
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Capuchin wrote:

For me, Haven

They claim it's taken from King's "Colorado Kid" but it seems to me to be more closely related to the Krell's monsters of the id.

I must say that Doctor Who really picked up. The last two episodes were absobloodylutely fantastic! It took a while for Tenet to really grow on me, but that was only because he had to rebuild from a terrible introductory episode. Smith didn't have that handicap, but I still wasn't warming to him before those last episodes. Now it's going to be a long wait for the next season.

Yeah I'd have to agree with that.

MM now here's the bad news about Dr. Who, just as you got used to the new doctor well... he might not be back. He's been negotiating out of his contract. His still in but.....

Contributor
BrightPathways
0 Kudos

I love no, LOVE most of those mentioned as Sci-fi is my number one fave.  Asking which ones is akin to asking my fave Beatle or something else impossible. Ok, I adore the flow over type things into that as well.  The paranormal, etc.  Alternative history which I like also washes inta that also sometimes as it can get into one of my Sci-fi faves Time Travel.  

I'll add that FireFly to those liking it is on Netflix streaming.  Recently added.  As is B5.  and not that long ago they put all the X files on streaming as well. 

Wish they would the treks.  They only have Trek movies on streaming. 

Oh and on Firefly,  Serenity, the ending movie, is SAD SAD SAD.  That's all I'll say.  If you are a fan, you need to know. 

If anybody knows which good Trek stories in books (I"m not up on the books part of Trek) are good, please feel free to mention them.  I don't care which character or Trek format.  I luv em all. 

Contributor
BrightPathways
0 Kudos

Adding to the Haven discussion, I can take it or leave it.  And again, I ADORE the weird, Sci-fi being my fave, and I 'get' it but still it's not Great yet. I and I love quirkey so that's not it.  It just doesn't have that certain something quite yet.

Eureka, now that quirkeness I ADORE. 

Warehouse 13. I should like, it should be right down my alley.  But I don't like it.  I have tried so hard to get into it but I can't.  I seriously don't like it.  I would rather watch The Librarian movies series than warehouse.   

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

BrightPathways wrote:

If anybody knows which good Trek stories in books (I"m not up on the books part of Trek) are good, please feel free to mention them.  I don't care which character or Trek format.  I luv em all. 

Here are a few of my favorite ST books:

The Trouble With Tribbles, 1973, by David Gerrold.  How the most famous episode of all came to be. 

The Entropy Effect, 1981, by Vonda N. McIntyre.  Intelligent, with an interesting take on the time travel thing.

Spock Must Die!, 1970, by James Blish.  Very interesting and readable, but contains one huge hole in the logic:  ya mean that in six months it never occurred to ANYONE to point that thing at another set of coordinates?  Really? 

Dwellers in the Crucible, 1985, by Margaret Wander Bonanno.  Interesting speculation about human/Vulcan friendships, guilt and rape.

How Much for Just the Planet?, 1987, by John M. Ford.  I almost hesitate to include this one, because, although it gets off to an excellent, hysterically funny start, it deteriorates into a pointless, meandering, unfunny mish-mash that you wish would hurry up and end. 

Jeff