Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite SciFi TV Shows

Slightly OT, first:

It just seems that American TV networks, especially the old, traditionally "broadcast' networks, have moved to an ideal of trying to establish quick hits that can then be milked for multiple years, cancelling them only when they are no longer profitable. Often this is long after a show is creatively tapped out, but salaries and production costs rise to a point that the accounts say, "enough!"

I wish they would go to a model of successive mini-series: order 6, 10, 12 episodes. If it hits, order some more. If not, move on. The downside is that, much like some British TV, there would not be a constant, annual supply of some favorite shows, as it takes time to reassemble much-in-demand production teams and cast. See: Sherlock. The upside: shows might find greater life, profitability, and a return to network by regular release and success on DVD. But in Hollywood, once a show is "dead", it's dead. People move on and it's generally never gonna come back. (Star Trek's successive reinventions and Family Guy's resurrection excepted.)

Slightly more on topic:

Been enjoying re-watching Buffy, finishing up set 1 of Tomorrow People (which may get re-booted by the CW of all folks), and about halfway through re-watching all my old Dr. Who. Up to mid-Tom Baker years now.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I've been rewatching Buffy lately too, I'm getting ready to finish up season 3.

RHWright wrote:

Slightly OT, first:

It just seems that American TV networks, especially the old, traditionally "broadcast' networks, have moved to an ideal of trying to establish quick hits that can then be milked for multiple years, cancelling them only when they are no longer profitable. Often this is long after a show is creatively tapped out, but salaries and production costs rise to a point that the accounts say, "enough!"

I wish they would go to a model of successive mini-series: order 6, 10, 12 episodes. If it hits, order some more. If not, move on. The downside is that, much like some British TV, there would not be a constant, annual supply of some favorite shows, as it takes time to reassemble much-in-demand production teams and cast. See: Sherlock. The upside: shows might find greater life, profitability, and a return to network by regular release and success on DVD. But in Hollywood, once a show is "dead", it's dead. People move on and it's generally never gonna come back. (Star Trek's successive reinventions and Family Guy's resurrection excepted.)

Slightly more on topic:

Been enjoying re-watching Buffy, finishing up set 1 of Tomorrow People (which may get re-booted by the CW of all folks), and about halfway through re-watching all my old Dr. Who. Up to mid-Tom Baker years now.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
RHWright
0 Kudos

In season 3 of Buffy, too!

And it only occured to me last night: why, when you dust a vampire, does their clothing disappear? Inconvenient supernatural laundry? :smileylol:

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I've been wondering that for years.  Because everyonce in a while, if they need to know something, a ring or other item the vamp was wearing won't turn to dust.  It's very convinient that way.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Anybody else watching Lost Girl?  I think Warehouse 13 is back soon, too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I like Lost Girl, Warehouse 13, and Haven.  I loved Sanctuary and was sad when it was cancelled, but I could never get into Alphas no matter how much I tried.

dulcinea3 wrote:

pen21
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

I like Lost Girl, Warehouse 13, and Haven.  I loved Sanctuary and was sad when it was cancelled, but I could never get into Alphas no matter how much I tried.

dulcinea3 wrote:

I watch Lost Girl. Pretty good show.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

I've been watching Lost Girl. And Warehouse 13 I think might be April for a start date. I'm not sure now.  I know it was later into the year.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Bibliophile
Melhay

Hey all!  The new show DEFIANCE is starting tonight.  Anyone else as excited as me about it?  I'm really taken with the idea and the alien blend.  The world looks beautiful too! LOL.  Yes, this is earth, but things have changed.

Last Monday they had on about creating the world and characters.  I only watch a little bit of it as I couldn't keep my eyes open at 11:00pm.  But what I saw...well, I was taken.  I'm hoping the storyline is amazing the the images look on my tv.

If you need, check it out on SyFy Channel.

Defiance

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

I want to watch it just because I grew up there, but I'm inclined to suspect that the only local color will be an obligatory shot of the arch.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:

I want to watch it just because I grew up there, but I'm inclined to suspect that the only local color will be an obligatory shot of the arch.

Yes, the world is changed due to a happening.  But it's still beautiful, in a tropical exotic way. I really enjoyed it.

The aliens were beautiful as well!  I'm really curious as to how they all happened to be stranded here.  And I'm curious to learn what happens next.

At the moment, and very interesting start!

pen21
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

MacMcK1957 wrote:

Yes, the world is changed due to a happening.  But it's still beautiful, in a tropical exotic way. I really enjoyed it.

The aliens were beautiful as well!  I'm really curious as to how they all happened to be stranded here.  And I'm curious to learn what happens next.

I just got caught up on the first show. I'll be watching it. I am also curious how the world became what it is at the time of the show. The father-daughter have an interesting relationship, also the 2 sisters. They did a lot in 2 hours but have a lot more to fill in as the show progresses.

Bibliophile
Melhay

pen21 wrote:

Melhay wrote:

MacMcK1957 wrote:

I just got caught up on the first show. I'll be watching it. I am also curious how the world became what it is at the time of the show. The father-daughter have an interesting relationship, also the 2 sisters. They did a lot in 2 hours but have a lot more to fill in as the show progresses.

YES!! I have lots of questions too. And I love the father/daughter relationship here. lol. And what happened with her parents!?!  That was a surprise to learn.  And yes, the world!  It's amazing, beautiful, dangerous...and I want to know what all happened to cause the ships to get distroyed! LOL

I think it has something to do with the aliens that tried to invade Defiance.  But what? Why? LOL!

It's got my attention too.

Correspondent
ManuelGarcia

Links to Spoilers

If you don't want to wait for information to appear in the show then

Here is a timeline of events from defiance.com.

This is Defiance background information from Wikipedia.

pen21
0 Kudos

ManuelGarcia wrote:

Links to Spoilers

Now, what should I do, what should I do.... Look or not look...

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

pen21 wrote:

ManuelGarcia wrote:

Links to Spoilers

Now, what should I do, what should I do.... Look or not look...

Always better to pick it up in the proper course of things. 

Let me put it this way.  Would you have wanted to know what River Song's birth name was before it was revealed?

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58

I started watching "Orphan Black" on BBC America a couple of weeks ago and am finding the theme, the acting and the direction to be quite good.

pen21

deesy58 wrote:

I started watching "Orphan Black" on BBC America a couple of weeks ago and am finding the theme, the acting and the direction to be quite good.

I totally agree with you. I will keep watching this series too. And of course it is on after Doctor Who which is a series I watch.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Oh Manuel Garcia,

Thank you for those links! I'm going to take time and read through these. Even if the information shows in the show, it's so fast I can't catch it all.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I'm watching Revolution, and really enjoy it.  Lost Girl just keeps getting better, and now Warehouse 13 is finally back.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia