Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Favorite SciFi TV Shows

We have a favorite SciFi movie thread.  So why not have a favorite SciFi TV show thread.  I know it will be hard not to include supernatural shows (Buffy, Angel, Charmed, so forth) but please try.

Mine are as follows (in no particular order)

Firefly

Torchwood

John Doe

Lost

V

seaquest DSV

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century

Alien Nation

The Bionic Woman

The Powers of Matthew Star

The Pretender

Fringe

Sanctuary

Farscape

Witchblade

Swampthing

The Flash

Highlander

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
gegarland
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite SciFi TV Shows

What?!? No Battlestar Galactica? Apostate....Unclean...

Although not quite an instant classic like Firefly, I think Whedon's latest effort "Dollhouse" is going to get there... if they let him. "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" is also a goody, IMHO.

One thing I've always wondered since "Sarah Connor" started, though... in "Firefly" Summer Glau is this little waif, in "Terminator" she pretty much stares everybody in the eye. Is everybody else on TTSCC vertically challenged, or is Ms. Glau walking around in six inch heels?

Alive, occupying space, and exerting gravitational force
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ah man I guess Supernatural wouldn't qualify then, one of my favoites:smileywink: LOL!!

But I do like The Terminator and the Dollhouse they are pretty cool.

Message Edited by carmen22 on 03-24-2009 10:56 PM
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

No Supernatural would not qualify, though I like the show too.  I am currently watching the 2nd season on DVD now.

However, Quantum Leap would qualify.  I am watching an episode right now on the ion channel.

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

In no particular order:

Star Trek (original version)

Battlestar Galactica (BOTH versions)

Mystery Science Theater 3000 (MST3K)

Buck Rodgers

Lost In Space

Highlander

Firefly

Hercules

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Never heard of FireFly whats that about? When and where does it come on?

Bradinator1 wrote:

In no particular order:

Buck Rodgers

Lost In Space

Highlander

Firefly

Hercules

Brad

Message Edited by carmen22 on 03-25-2009 08:33 AM
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

No Supernatural would not qualify, though I like the show too.  I am currently watching the 2nd season on DVD now.

However, Quantum Leap would qualify.  I am watching an episode right now on the ion channel.

Yeah I have all 3 seasons of Supernatural on DVD I like to get the DVD sets, I either forget when it comes on or don't have enough time to watch them on TV, so I ended up missing the 4th season so now I have to wait till it comes out on DVD.

Me I'm more of a supernatural fan than Si-Fi fan!!

Bradinator1

carmen22 wrote:
Never heard of FireFly whats that about? When and where does it come on?

Bradinator1 wrote:

In no particular order:

Buck Rodgers

Lost In Space

Highlander

Firefly

Hercules

Brad

Message Edited by carmen22 on 03-25-2009 08:33 AM

Gahhh! Never heard of Firefly?! You poor girl! There might only be like 8 episodes. It's sci-fi meets the old west. Joss Whedon creaated this one. It is available on DVD, I believe I saw it listed on Fancast or Hulu also. It was on Fox, but up against like sunday night football. Had no chance. The movie "Serenity" was a follow up to the show. It is a must watch. A real shame it didn't survive. My wife is not a huge sci-fi fan but loved this series!

Brad

And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
dulcinea3

A really wonderful old series was The Time Tunnel, about a pair of scientists who have built a time travel device, run into it to prove it out when the government threatens to shut it down, and get trapped in time.  I recently got the DVD sets of both seasons and rewatched the whole series.  It's both fun and educational! :smileywink:  Lots of different historical time periods, plus some episodes set in the future.  One thing I learned about the series was that Irwin Allen used a lot of scenes from stock footage from old studio films, so it was relatively cheap to make.  For example, in the first episode, set on the Titanic, they had footage from a movie about it, showing the ship sinking and people running around trying to escape.  It was fun to pick out these scenes, and then see how they had to fit them into the storyline by reproducing certain costumes for the characters, etc.  Starring James Darren, Robert Colbert, and Lee Meriweather.

Time Tunnel - Vol. 1 

Time Tunnel 1 V.2  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

I will definitely second Firefly - every scifi fan ought to at least try out the first couple episodes.  The best of Joss Whedon's shows IMO.

Do you guys think The Prisoner counts as scifi?  That was an amazing show.

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Inspired Contributor
gegarland
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:

Gahhh! Never heard of Firefly?! You poor girl! There might only be like 8 episodes. It's sci-fi meets the old west. Joss Whedon creaated this one. It is

14 episodes, including 3 that never aired on TV.

Alive, occupying space, and exerting gravitational force
Inspired Contributor
Kimbeey13
0 Kudos

My favorites right now are 'Torchwood' and more recently 'Stargate'.
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I think The Prisoner counts, it was a great show

Jon_B wrote:

I will definitely second Firefly - every scifi fan ought to at least try out the first couple episodes.  The best of Joss Whedon's shows IMO.

Do you guys think The Prisoner counts as scifi?  That was an amazing show.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

You know I only ever watched a few episodes of this, but on your reccomendation I will go get the 1st season.  I hope it's as good as you say. :smileyvery-happy:

dulcinea3 wrote:

A really wonderful old series was The Time Tunnel, about a pair of scientists who have built a time travel device, run into it to prove it out when the government threatens to shut it down, and get trapped in time.  I recently got the DVD sets of both seasons and rewatched the whole series.  It's both fun and educational! :smileywink:  Lots of different historical time periods, plus some episodes set in the future.  One thing I learned about the series was that Irwin Allen used a lot of scenes from stock footage from old studio films, so it was relatively cheap to make.  For example, in the first episode, set on the Titanic, they had footage from a movie about it, showing the ship sinking and people running around trying to escape.  It was fun to pick out these scenes, and then see how they had to fit them into the storyline by reproducing certain costumes for the characters, etc.  Starring James Darren, Robert Colbert, and Lee Meriweather.

Time Tunnel - Vol. 1 

Time Tunnel 1 V.2  

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I remember watching this show when I lived in California and wondered if anyone else did

Land of the Giants: The Complete Series 

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

I remember watching this show when I lived in California and wondered if anyone else did

Land of the Giants: The Complete Series 

I remember it being on, but I don't think I watched it regularly (if at all) - I see that's another Irwin Allen series.  I was more into Lost in Space, My Favorite Martian, and a very short-lived comedy called It's About Time.  I'll be nobody remembers that one - it was about two astronauts who somehow ended up back in cavemen times, and Joe E. Ross and Imogene Coca were the main caveman couple, who, of course, had a beautiful blonde cave-daughter to tempt the astronauts.

I wasn't even into Star Trek, although some of my friends were.

BTW, I recently heard that they have done a new series of The Prisoner, which is a British production, but starring American actor Jim Caviezel.  I think it will be airing on AMC this summer, but I am not really sure about that.  You could try Googling it.  I saw a few episodes of the original series, but I just couldn't figure out what was going on, so it didn't catch my attention.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

How about Zena and Sliders?

If you have Hercules you have to have Zena.  Did SciFi ever play Zena and Sliders?  I can't remember any more.  I think at one time they may have but it has been a while.  I'm not sure

Mel

Message Edited by Melhay on 03-26-2009 03:41 PM

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I loved Sliders, and yes SciFi did air the show.  The other show I absolutely loved was Firstwave that played off the Nostradamus prophecies and aliens.

Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

How about Zena and Sliders?

If you have Hercules you have to have Zena.  Did SciFi ever play Zena and Sliders?  I can't remember any more.  I think at one time they may have but it has been a while.  I'm not sure

Mel

Message Edited by Melhay on 03-26-2009 03:41 PM

Sci-Fi never has played Zena or Hercules that I know of. I liked Hercules more than Zena. I still liked Zena, but sometimes they were a little too serious. Legend of the Seeker has the same kind of feel to it as those do (Raimi producing it).

Ryan,

I remember Land of the Giants! Watched it when I was a kid pretty regular. I believe Sci-Fi did show that one for awhile. I believe it was on roughly the same time as "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" another classic sci-fi. Hooray for rubbery monsters!

Brad

Contributor
Selber44
0 Kudos

For me:

Stargate

Firefly

Torchwood

"Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational theory for lunatics who think they're Gods and an excellent argument for polytheism."
SM Stirling