Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Brisbey
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite SciFi TV Shows

I've recently just finished going back through and watching all of Babylon 5.  In spite of some pretty lame effects, I love that show.

-Brisbey

=====
- Brisbey

[Insert witty, meaningful or absurd quote here.]
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

---- "...It's about Time,

...It's about Space,

...It's about [something-something] the Human Race...."

Ah, you see, Dulcinea3, somebody else does remember "It's About Time" ---

I know my wife remembers this short-lived [ one season or less, I'd hazard to guess ] ---

I'm really only guessing here, but that show seems like it could have been a Mel Brooks and/or Sid Caesar and/or Carl Reiner collaboration, judging by the style of the show ---

As much as I later came to become an afficianado of "Star Trek", I think I may have somehow missed all three seasons, when they had originally aired ---

Something tells me, if I had been aware of its existence, I would have watched it, and been mesmerized by the show, as well ---

There were a couple of half-hour comedy shows then went on for one season, I think in the seven pm - eight pm time slots on Thursday night, [ on two different network channels ] that I watched religiously, & I think "Trek" might have been playing at the same time -

unless "Trek" came on at eight, in which case my mom and I were also religiously watching

"The Carol Burnette Show", which I seem to recall, held that 8-9 Thursday pm slot -----

The comedies were called "Mister Fantastic" and "Captain Nice" - both of these, spoofs on the comic-book superhero genre --

"Mr Fantastic" took pills that gave him the ability to fly [& so forth] - but only for a limited amount of time ---

"Captain Nice" had no discernable super-powers [ that I can recall ] but was always screwing everything up in his attempts to do good works for people ---

I'm pretty sure the first time I ever saw "Trek" was when I was visting some friends, where there was a TV in the garage or basement "rumpus room" - & I was introduced to Captain Kirk & Mr Spock for the first time in a mid-afternoon, possibly weekend, re-run --

Somehow, I managed to quickly "catch up" on the series after that...  ---

"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Distinguished Correspondent
marilynpsychic
0 Kudos

Ah yes -- I've watched and loved all those shows.  But no one mentioned "Max Headroom" -- one of my favorites I wish someone would release on DVD.

I also was a big fan of "The Prisoner".  It was mostly a mind-game going on, but it was fun to try and pick up clues as to who his captors were:  Was he being held because he "knew too much" from his spy days by the government?  Or was he being held by the enemy trying to pry spy-secrets out of him?   (But it was infinitely better than that not-so-great British sci fi series about the same time, "UFO".  American actor with white hair.  Remember?)

And then there were the short-lived sci fi "attempts" that had promise, but never delivered the goods.  Like "Hard Time On Planet Earth" (an alien criminal is banished to Earth as punishment).  Or the '70s series I forgot the name of, which was supposed to be a comedy about a space-faring garbage collector.

I even remember watching a very strange British sci fi series for awhile, called "Red Dwarf".  It was about an endlessly traveling spacecraft, and one character, who was now human, had "evolved" from a cat. (I guess the Brits love their mind-bending sci fi!)

"I'm a writer. I give the truth scope." Chaucer (character) in movie "A Knight's Tale"
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Anyone remember the Planet of the Apes television show? It aired in 1974 and was actually pretty good from a story standpoint. The special effects, clothing, sets, etc. were terrible though. 

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Hello, Marilyn...

I have only watched a couple of "Prisoner" episodes, and although I can understand the appeal of that show,[ with its intriguing intricacies and "puzzles wrapped inside other puzzles" ] it doesn't really appeal to me all that much - as I mentioned somewhere, I always used to have a phobia about things that didn't seem to make sense - I guess I've gotten over that phobia to a certain extent - but something like "The Prisoner" just seems to leave so many things "up in the air"- and tends to be so obtuse, so obscure, that it tends to approach "disturbia" for me ---

Now, as for "Red Dwarf " - I know this show!

It used to run on one of the non-commercial, PBS stations in our area...

I'm suddenly drawing a blank on the names of the characters - but I can picture them in my minds-eye, anyway --

There was the main character, with the short dreadlocks, who was the first to wake up  after being maintained in a state of suspended animation for many, many years ( apparently enough years for a cat to have evolved into a cat-man, although that character was not introduced until later on ) - and  coming out of this cocoon - tube chamber, discovers that he is all alone on this big ship, far off in the future -

except, he is not completely alone - there is a cyborg character who seems a bit dense, a bit slow on the uptake sometimes - and there  is the "hologram" character, who is self-centered, priggish, selfish and otherwise plain obnoxious ---

There is also the ship's computer system, which has a female voice, and a female  holographic "avatar" image, [ I think ]---

The main character has a irreverant, sardonic attitude towards everything, and is sort of the "bad boy", especially in comparison to the robot and the hologram ---

^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

marilynpsychic wrote:

Ah yes -- I've watched and loved all those shows.  But no one mentioned "Max Headroom" -- one of my favorites I wish someone would release on DVD.

I also was a big fan of "The Prisoner".  It was mostly a mind-game going on, but it was fun to try and pick up clues as to who his captors were:  Was he being held because he "knew too much" from his spy days by the government?  Or was he being held by the enemy trying to pry spy-secrets out of him?   (But it was infinitely better than that not-so-great British sci fi series about the same time, "UFO".  American actor with white hair.  Remember?)

And then there were the short-lived sci fi "attempts" that had promise, but never delivered the goods.  Like "Hard Time On Planet Earth" (an alien criminal is banished to Earth as punishment).  Or the '70s series I forgot the name of, which was supposed to be a comedy about a space-faring garbage collector.

I even remember watching a very strange British sci fi series for awhile, called "Red Dwarf".  It was about an endlessly traveling spacecraft, and one character, who was now human, had "evolved" from a cat. (I guess the Brits love their mind-bending sci fi!)

Max Headron was released on DVD.  I just don't think its available anymore.  You might try used DVD websites or stores though.
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

--- I too, remember "Lost In  Space" and "Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea" -

But it seems like such a long, long time ago, [  I'm talking  1963-64 ] --

"Whrr-Buzz-Click - Danger! Danger! Will Robinson! Dr Smith has gone and done something really stupid  and put us all in danger again!"

"Ping-Ping-Ping..." [ the sound of that sonar on board that super-submarine ]

The original, "Classic"  Star Trek  series remains my favorite from the "franchise" -

with "Star Trek- Voyager" coming in second, and "The Next Generation" a distant third - even though Patrick Stewart is a good actor, and the "Data" character/concept was intriguing ( although, in a way, it is almost a rehash of the Mr Spock concept, except with Data being a robot with a real computer for a brain, whereas Spock was the half-human  humanoid with a "computer-like" brain  )  ---

I also remember "The Time Tunnel"...

I seem to recall an episode where they "arrive" in the middle of the Battle of Waterloo...

It's interesting to note how, traditionally, in these "Time Travel" stories, the time travellers almost always wind up in the middle of some  great historical event,  [ whenever they travel to this year or that ] and not in the middle of nowhere, where nothing much happens to be happening at the moment....

^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Inspired Contributor
gegarland
0 Kudos

oldBPLstackdenizen wrote:

--- I too, remember "Lost In  Space" and "Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea" -

But it seems like such a long, long time ago, [  I'm talking  1963-64 ] --

"Whrr-Buzz-Click - Danger! Danger! Will Robinson! Dr Smith has gone and done something really stupid  and put us all in danger again!"

I remember when *mmbl* years ago we finally got all three networks broadcast in our area, and I got to see "Lost In Space" (assuming my older brother wasn't hogging the TV). By that time Dr. Smith was already a buffoon and the series was pretty much deliberately cheesy. Years later I happened to catch the beginning episodes on some channel or the other where Dr. Smith was distinctly a sinister character. Yet another "someday" plan to get all the episodes watch it with tons of popcorn and "oh my god, that's sooo bad...".

Alive, occupying space, and exerting gravitational force
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

oldBPLstackdenizen wrote:

---- "...It's about Time,

...It's about Space,

...It's about [something-something] the Human Race...."

Ah, you see, Dulcinea3, somebody else does remember "It's About Time" ---

I know my wife remembers this short-lived [ one season or less, I'd hazard to guess ] ---

I'm really only guessing here, but that show seems like it could have been a Mel Brooks and/or Sid Caesar and/or Carl Reiner collaboration, judging by the style of the show ---

Wow, I am impressed!  You're right - extremely short-lived, but I remember laughing at it.  Your Show of Shows was just barely before my time, so this was my first introduction to the hilarious Imogene Coca, but I knew Joe E. Ross from Car 54, Where Are You?

I just looked it up, and find that it was by Sherwood Schwartz, and used some sets and props from his other concurrent series, Gilligan's Island.  I could only remember the first few lines of the theme song, but here it is:

It's about time, it's about space, About two men in the strangest place. It's about time, it's about flight - Traveling faster than the speed of light. This is the tale of the brave crew As through the barrier of time they flew. Past a fighting minuteman, Past an armored knight, Past a Roman warrior, To this ancient site. It's about caves, cavemen too, About a time when the earth was new. Wait'll they see what is in sight! Is it good luck or is it good night? It's about two astronauts, it's about their fate, It's about a woman and her prehistoric mate.

It's about time, it's about space, About two men in the strangest place. They will be here right on this spot No matter if they like it or not. How will they live in this primitive state? Will help ever come before it is too late? Will they ever get away? Watch each week and see! Will they be returning to the 20th Century? It's about time for our goodbyes To all these prehistoric gals and guys. IT'S ABOUT TIME!

Although they changed it when later in the season they completely changed the premise of the show, and had the astronauts bring the caveman family back with them to the 20th century.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

....  I could only remember the first few lines of the theme song, but here it is:

It's about time, it's about space, About two men in the strangest place. It's about time, it's about flight - Traveling faster than the speed of light. This is the tale of the brave crew As through the barrier of time they flew. Past a fighting minuteman, Past an armored knight, Past a Roman warrior, To this ancient site. It's about caves, cavemen too, About a time when the earth was new. Wait'll they see what is in sight! Is it good luck or is it good night? It's about two astronauts, it's about their fate, It's about a woman and her prehistoric mate.

It's about time, it's about space, About two men in the strangest place. They will be here right on this spot No matter if they like it or not. How will they live in this primitive state? Will help ever come before it is too late? Will they ever get away? Watch each week and see! Will they be returning to the 20th Century? It's about time for our goodbyes To all these prehistoric gals and guys. IT'S ABOUT TIME!

Although they changed it when later in the season they completely changed the premise of the show, and had the astronauts bring the caveman family back with them to the 20th century.

Wow! That theme song sure had a lot of stanzas! ---

I don't remember if I ever saw the subsequent shows [ wherein they changed the premise for the stories ] but then, it was sort of "off again, on again" as far as having a TV in our household, over a period of about ten years, we sometimes had one B&W TV or another, but not continuously, so I missed some stuff, sometime -

also, Sid Caesar was before my time as well...

^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Anyone remember the Planet of the Apes television show? It aired in 1974 and was actually pretty good from a story standpoint. The special effects, clothing, sets, etc. were terrible though. 

Paul 

I do! I do! Watched it regular. Let's face it, the Planet of the Apes original movie had some bad special effects, etc. The make-up and story were the best part.

Along those lines, anybody remember the Logan's Run TV show? Took place on the surface of the planet, ran maybe 2 seasons. Not bad really.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul 

I do! I do! Watched it regular. Let's face it, the Planet of the Apes original movie had some bad special effects, etc. The make-up and story were the best part.

Along those lines, anybody remember the Logan's Run TV show? Took place on the surface of the planet, ran maybe 2 seasons. Not bad really.

Brad

Brad:

Man, don't laugh but I have the entire Planet of the Apes tv show on DVD. It's actually pretty good.

And let's talk about Logan's Run (the movie) for a moment, shall we?  Okay, yeah, Farrah and her, ahem, hair but seriously, how cool was the premise of this movie? I thought the idea of Carousel was incredibly thought provoking. LOVED that movie! Don't remember the tv show though, Brad. I'll gave to google it...

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Wasn't there a "Fantastic Voyage" show once, where the scientists, doctors, or whatever they were, were shrunk down to miscroscopic size, inside of a microscopic "ship"

[ like an extremely miniaturized space ship or a submarine ] and then injected into somebody's blood stream? ---

I think there might have been a movie along these lines, but I vaguely seem to recall a TV series, as well...

I can't remember if I saw any episodes, [ I might have seen the pilot episode ]

or just heard about it, or what...

^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Contributor
Happy29fan
0 Kudos

Some of my favorite shows include:

Lost

Battlestar Galactica - both old and new

Fringe

Terminator The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Torchwood

Primeval

The Dresden Files

Alien Nation

The Bionic Woman - both old and new

X-Files

John Doe

Roswell

Surface

I also remember watching the original Star Trek as a child.  However, I never got into any of the off shoots that were created. There's a new Star Trek movie that will be coming out soon that I'm looking forward to seeing.  The trailers look good at least. 

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Once in a while I have vague memories of a show that perhaps somebody can identify for me, if I can make the description not quite as vague.

All I really remember is that there was a 'character' that was a flying or floating metallic thing that was shaped something like a teardrop lying on its side.  I think that this object would speak to and give advice to the main character.  I'm not sure what the main premise was; maybe the main character time-travelled, but that may be totally wrong.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Contributor
gegarland
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Once in a while I have vague memories of a show that perhaps somebody can identify for me, if I can make the description not quite as vague.

All I really remember is that there was a 'character' that was a flying or floating metallic thing that was shaped something like a teardrop lying on its side.  I think that this object would speak to and give advice to the main character.  I'm not sure what the main premise was; maybe the main character time-travelled, but that may be totally wrong.

"Hard Time on Planet Earth", maybe?

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

gegarland wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

"Hard Time on Planet Earth", maybe?

Thanks!  I think that is probably it.  It makes sense that I would have given it a try, because I liked the star, Martin Kove, on Cagney and Lacy.  I'm surprised that it was from 1989, though, because I thought I had watched it while I still lived at home, before I bought my condo (in 1987).
Inspired Contributor
gegarland
0 Kudos

Life on Mars

Talk about Kafka-esque :-) Not since "St. Elsewhere" has there been an ending so bizarre... not a big text-er but... OMG! ROTFLMAO!

TiggerBear

Re: Life on Mars

Am I the only one who watched Dr. Who?
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: Life on Mars

TiggerBear wrote:
Am I the only one who watched Dr. Who?

Tig:

I loved the surreal musical and visual intro to Dr. Who – how cool was that?

Paul