Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Life on Mars

paulgoatallen wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:
Am I the only one who watched Dr. Who?

Tig:

I loved the surreal musical and visual intro to Dr. Who – how cool was that?

Paul 

The original, very cool. Had me running as a kid. Came on on sat, just as the sun was going down and I was about to be called in. The vast wonder of that show made waiting for supper easy. The new jazzed version they're running nowadays, ehhh it's ok.

Ryan_G

Warehouse 13

I think I found a new favorite genre show.  Warehouse 13 is better than I thought it would be.  The first episode is almost over and I'm really looking forward to the next one.  It reminds me of Friday the 13th: The Series.
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: Warehouse 13

I agree with Ryan, Warehouse 13 was really good.  I'm looking forward to seeing what they have next week.   It was kind of a cliffhanger until the very end.  If they don't add a lot of sex and bad language it will be a program that I can watch every week.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite SciFi TV Shows

Needed you folks' reviews! I missed it ! My brother-in-law made one of his surprise visits. I'm hoping they re-run it this weekend so I'm not behind.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Bradinator1 wrote:

Needed you folks' reviews! I missed it ! My brother-in-law made one of his surprise visits. I'm hoping they re-run it this weekend so I'm not behind.

Brad

I did too.  I have been staying with my dad in the evening while his girlfriend is on vacation.  I was hoping it will be rerun this weekend, but if not I will look for it on hulu or online to watch. 

There was another show, the pilot was on a friday night - Virtuality.  My brother mentioned that it was not bad that it had a different twist to it, but its on a bad night and time - Friday.  I had heard it didn't do to good on the pilot night.  I want to try to see if I can find it on hulu also.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Melissa and Brad,

They have it scheduled to rerun tonight at 10:00pm Eastern Time which is 8:00pm Mountain Time.  I think that you both would enjoy it.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

Melissa and Brad,

They have it scheduled to rerun tonight at 10:00pm Eastern Time which is 8:00pm Mountain Time.  I think that you both would enjoy it.

Toni

Thanks Toni!!  My dad should be in bed by then I should be able to catch it then. (I am on Eastern time so it works out good.)  Thanks again!! 

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

Nelsmom wrote:

Melissa and Brad,

Toni

Thanks Toni!!  My dad should be in bed by then I should be able to catch it then. (I am on Eastern time so it works out good.)  Thanks again!! 

If you miss that, Fancast has it up to watch for another week.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Melissa and Brad,

If you get a chance to watch it tonight I hope you enjoy it.  I found myself liking it the further in we got.  I'm really looking forward to the next one and am now going to be watching two shows on syfy (wierd name change by the way) since I'm already watching Sanctuary and can't wait for it to be back on.

Message Edited by Ryan_G on 07-10-2009 05:47 PM

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Speaking of returning shows season 3 of Torchwood, which is really a five part miniseries entitled Torchwood: Children of Earth, starts on BBC America on 7/20.

Wordsmith
Capuchin

Re: Life on Mars

[ Edited ]

Does anyone remember The Twilight Zone? Some episodes were supernatural, some sf, and some just left you scratching your head.

Doctor Who has always been one of my favorites. The new series is great as long as you don't try to compare it to the original.

Star Trek: The Next Generation (aka Star Trek: the Degeneration) was okay, imo, from the middle of the second season onward.

Stargate and Stargate Atlantis always had a reserved slot on my schedule -- the movies not so much.

John Doe should never have been cancelled.

Sanctuary is okay if there's not much of anything else on.

The first season of Torchwood was great. Won't bother watching it anymore.

Warehouse 13 is still a bit iffy in my book. I felt it tried a little too hard to pull off old gags, and the basic concept has basically been done to death. (The creation of a ferret as a 'wish-cannot-be-fulfilled' response was the only thing I didn't see coming.) If any chemistry develops between the leads, great. Otherwise I'd rather spend my time rereading some 40s or 50s pulps.

Eureka is, imnsho, the best current SF show. Camp and corny and just plain fun while zipping in ideas I hadn't seen before.

Red Dawn was a nice little time-filler.

It is impossible to say too many good things about Gunslinger Girl. The sf is context rather than foreground, but it's irresistible. If you can manage it, I'd recommend that you watch the third episode first -- it really gets you into the head of one of the cyborgs.

Can't think of any others at the moment, but for the last 50 years, there seems to have always been at least one fairly good sf show on.

Message Edited by Capuchin on 07-11-2009 04:57 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards." -- Robert Heinlein
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

Melissa and Brad,

If you get a chance to watch it tonight I hope you enjoy it.  I found myself liking it the further in we got.  I'm really looking forward to the next one and am now going to be watching two shows on syfy (wierd name change by the way) since I'm already watching Sanctuary and can't wait for it to be back on.

Message Edited by Ryan_G on 07-10-2009 05:47 PM

Thanks again to Toni and everyone letting us know Warehouse 13 was on Friday night.  I did catch it.  I found myself really liking it.  It reminded me of the Librarian movies with a slight twist of the lighter side of X-files.  I really enjoyed it.  My favorite is the cart/car that they ride in, in the warehouse.  How they both have to be touching the bar to give it enough charge to keep moving.  Both hands please.  Oh, also the football.  How does that do that? LOL

I did enjoy it and it had a lighter side that was very nice to watch.  The man at the warehouse looks familiar to me.  I have seen hime in shows or movies before, but it has been a while.

I will definitly be watching it in the future.  Tuesday nights at 9:00 pm Eastern time, correct?

I also saw commercials for the Sanctuary.  That looked good to me also.  I have never seen any of the shows before, but it looks good to keep in mind for when it comes on.

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

I also had a chance to catch Warehouse 13 on Friday night. Liked it. Thought maybe 2 hours for the premiere was a little long. I'll stick with it. God knows I only have "Wipeout" to look forward to during the summer. Saw some nice previews for Sanctuary, which I liked, but was not keeping up very good with it (had some commitments on Fridays which prevented me.). Since I'm broke now, I'll be watching more TV. Looking forward to SGU and Caprica also.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I watched the second episode of Warehouse 13 last night and found it to be an improvement on the pilot episdode.  Hopefully this show just keeps getting better and will be around a long time.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Oh yes!  Packing into an hour is much better.  A lot more happens quicker.  I did enjoy it last night also.  My son even sat with me and we watched it together.  He was slightly bothered that he missed the pilot, but I told him he could catch on with no problems.

We got a kick out of the fame of ping-pong with his mirror self.  I knew that football was going to hit her at some time.  I thought that she was going to throw it next though.  One day she will enjoy the football also, just wait.

What was the little blip at the end when Art was working on the computer?  He even asked what was that.  Is something in the computer or did he tap into something?

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Can I just say that the first two episodes of Torchwood are absolutely brilliant and that I'm sad there are only three more left.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Warehouse 13

Melhay wrote:

Thanks again to Toni and everyone letting us know Warehouse 13 was on Friday night.  I did catch it.  I found myself really liking it.  It reminded me of the Librarian movies with a slight twist of the lighter side of X-files.  I really enjoyed it.  My favorite is the cart/car that they ride in, in the warehouse.  How they both have to be touching the bar to give it enough charge to keep moving.  Both hands please.  Oh, also the football.  How does that do that? LOL

I did enjoy it and it had a lighter side that was very nice to watch.  The man at the warehouse looks familiar to me.  I have seen hime in shows or movies before, but it has been a while.

I will definitly be watching it in the future.  Tuesday nights at 9:00 pm Eastern time, correct?

Since people here had been talking about it, I watched the first two episodes, and thought it was fun.  It reminds me of the Librarian movies, too.

The guy who runs the warehouse also played Donny, Daphne's fiance on Frasier, whom she left at the altar for Niles, if you ever watched that.

If you have On Demand, you can watch the episodes any time you want.  That's how I watched it, and I usually catch Primeval that way, too.  BTW, I think some people here have talked about Primeval on SciFi (not sure I want to contribute to the decline of literacy by referring to it by its new name), but I think those are last year's episodes.  A new season has been showing on BBCA, but we are well into it now, and I don't think I would recommend jumping in at this point if you have been watching older seasons - there are new characters (and a couple of new 'pets' to keep Rex company), and some old ones are gone, so it could be a shock.  Although they finally had a human come through an anomaly (a medieval knight), and that is probably my favorite episode ever.  I'm not sure how far back the episodes On Demand go.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Re: Warehouse 13

dulcinea3 wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Since people here had been talking about it, I watched the first two episodes, and thought it was fun.  It reminds me of the Librarian movies, too.

The guy who runs the warehouse also played Donny, Daphne's fiance on Frasier, whom she left at the altar for Niles, if you ever watched that.

If you have On Demand, you can watch the episodes any time you want.  That's how I watched it, and I usually catch Primeval that way, too.  BTW, I think some people here have talked about Primeval on SciFi (not sure I want to contribute to the decline of literacy by referring to it by its new name), but I think those are last year's episodes.  A new season has been showing on BBCA, but we are well into it now, and I don't think I would recommend jumping in at this point if you have been watching older seasons - there are new characters (and a couple of new 'pets' to keep Rex company), and some old ones are gone, so it could be a shock.  Although they finally had a human come through an anomaly (a medieval knight), and that is probably my favorite episode ever.  I'm not sure how far back the episodes On Demand go.

Thanks, that may be one of the places I have seen him before, but I think I have seen him in a few places too.

My son made the comment last night that Warehouse 13 was On Demand also.  He was watching the episodes again during the day since he has nothing better to do till school starts back up again.  He was trying to let me know incase we end up missing it one night for some reason.  (Helpful little things at times - children :smileywink:)

I really am enjoying the show currently.  Last nights I thought was good also.  I hope it does well and they keep it on for a while.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Torchwood (May be Spoilers)

+++MAY BE SPOILERS+++

I've been watching the Torchwood: Children of Earth miniseries and as a fan from the begining I'm blown away by the show this time.  The morality and humanity being explored this time around is spectacular.  How many of your own are you wiling to sacrifice for the "greater" good?

For anyone else watching, what are you making of this season?  Are you satisfied by it as I am.

How are you reacting to the death of yet another main character?  Is Ianto's death easier than Tash's and Owen's because it was only one this time?  Or is it harder because we got to know him for a extra season and his relationship with Jack was just getting to a good place.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Re: Torchwood (May be Spoilers)

I caught last nights episode of Warehouse 13.  My son has really started to enjoy watching this with me.  But, now the vision Artie had when he was working on the computer at the last boss of the 2 that go on the missions. (I can't remember names at the moment.)

But, I recognized the girl that wanted to save her brother last night.  I don't know how old anyones children are but the girl was the smart girl from Drake and Josh on Disney, she was Joshs' girlfriend.  My son was shocked to see her on another show.  It was nice that I could relate the actors to another show for him, also he likes to see that there are actors and actress's he recogizes.

sorry just a little FYI for you.