Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite SciFi TV Shows

I have all 3 seasons of Wonder Woman on DVD.  I've watched the first season and part of the second.  I need to get them finished.

jaquellae wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

I haven't watched the show in years, but I do have the complete series on DVD.  I need to get watching them sometime soon.

paulgoatallen wrote:

Speaking of Buck Rogers, does anyone remember this episode?

Paul

Yeah, I vaguely remember putting it on my instant queue for Netflix, but have been on a X-Files thing lately. I might have to go and rewatch a few episodes... I also keep meaning to rewatch my Wonder Woman DVDs. I'm not showing my age, am I? At least not too much? :smileyvery-happy:

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Is anyone else not in love with Terra Noa as much as they thought they would be?  I like it, but not sure I'm loving it.  It;'s the same thing I felt for Syfy's Alphas.  I am loving Once Upon A Time and Grimm though.  Great shows.

I do wonder how the new Kiefer Southerland show, Touch, will be.

I'm dubious about Lost Girl on Syfy too, I'll watch it though now that Sanctuary is done for the season.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

Is anyone else not in love with Terra Noa as much as they thought they would be?  I like it, but not sure I'm loving it.  It;'s the same thing I felt for Syfy's Alphas.  I am loving Once Upon A Time and Grimm though.  Great shows.

I'm dubious about Lost Girl on Syfy too, I'll watch it though now that Sanctuary is done for the season.

I'm not watching Terra Noa, but I am watching Once Upon a Time. Very interesting premise, but I wish Snow White (in both times, but especially the present) would get a better hairdo!  Her ears sticking out distract me to no end.  It's building and getting better with every episode.

If I get a chance, I will watch Touch.  The one that intrigues me the most is Alcatraz, which is from J.J. Abrams, who did Lost.  I know there is a Lost connection with Once Upon a Time, too, but not sure if it is Abrams, and/or the writing team.

Warehouse 13 had a great Christmas show, loosely based on It's a Wonderful Life.  Lots of fun, and I'll bet the actors had a blast playing their characters differently!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

The Warehouse 13 Christmas special was a hoot, loved it.

Alcatraz is another I'm intersted in seeing how they do with it.

The one show, that has a slight paranormal spin on it that I love is The Gifted Man.  Great acting in it.

dulcinea3 wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

I'm not watching Terra Noa, but I am watching Once Upon a Time. Very interesting premise, but I wish Snow White (in both times, but especially the present) would get a better hairdo!  Her ears sticking out distract me to no end.  It's building and getting better with every episode.

If I get a chance, I will watch Touch.  The one that intrigues me the most is Alcatraz, which is from J.J. Abrams, who did Lost.  I know there is a Lost connection with Once Upon a Time, too, but not sure if it is Abrams, and/or the writing team.

Warehouse 13 had a great Christmas show, loosely based on It's a Wonderful Life.  Lots of fun, and I'll bet the actors had a blast playing their characters differently!

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

Hmmm ... difficult but mine are

1.  Star Trek:  The Original Series

2.  Babylon 5

3.  Battlestar Galactica (the original, can't stand Ron D. Moore's "reimagination")

4.  Stargate SG-1

5.  Space:  Above and Beyond (sad this was only one season -- it was what Starship Troopers should have been)

6.  The Wild Wild West (the original steampunk!)

7.  Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (Erin Gray in those iridescent jumpsuits ... mmmmmm)

8.  Star Trek:  The Next Generation (seasons 1-5 only, I think it jumped the shark in midway through season 5)

9.  Star Trek:  Deep Space Nine

10.  The Invisible Man (also sad this was only a single season as they had a different twist on the concept)

11.  Robotech

12.  Space:  1999

Order above is rough and I'm probably missing some since I'm doing this off the top of my head.  I liked Alien Nation and The Flash, not sure I'd class them as "favorites" per se and I looked at "Highlander" as fantasy rather than SF.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

1. Firefly 2. Twilight zone 3. Warehouse 13 4. Eureka 5. Stargate 6. Star Trek 7. Fringe 8. Sanctuary 9. X Files 10. Farscape I was dissapointed with the seasons new shows so far this season. I hope the January introductions are stronger and the fall introductions improve.
RHWright
0 Kudos

Omnigeek wrote:

Hmmm ... difficult but mine are

1.  Star Trek:  The Original Series

This was my bread & butter as a kid. It was in re-runs nightly on UHF stations then. Honestly, there's maybe a handful of classic episodes I still love and have on VHS.

2.  Babylon 5

Sure, it had some clunky moments, but I love this show & universe. Also Crusade. Too bad TNT killed that one.

3.  Battlestar Galactica (the original, can't stand Ron D. Moore's "reimagination")

As a kid, loved it. Even in re-runs it holds up pretty well. At least as well as most other 70s TV. The reboot didn't catch me as much, but I haven't really given it a chance.

4.  Stargate SG-1

Not a fave. Don't dislike it, but don't seek it out.

5.  Space:  Above and Beyond (sad this was only one season -- it was what Starship Troopers should have been)

Excellent show. Killed off too soon by Fox. What is it with Fox and TNT? They love to kill good shows.

6.  The Wild Wild West (the original steampunk!)

Never saw enough to judge. The movie makes me fear trying.

7.  Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (Erin Gray in those iridescent jumpsuits ... mmmmmm)

My inner child says beedy-beedy-beedy. But oh so cheezy. Take in small doses.

8.  Star Trek:  The Next Generation (seasons 1-5 only, I think it jumped the shark in midway through season 5)

Loved this at the time and for long after. Now there are 4 episodes that don't make me cringe: Inner Light, Darmok, and Best of Both Worlds (part 1 & 2), and Family.

9.  Star Trek:  Deep Space Nine

Still the best Trek series, IMO. Did they rip of B5? Probably. Would Gene have hated it? Likely. But even at it's shakiest, some of the best Trek out there. Of course I liked Enterprise, so what do I know.

10.  The Invisible Man (also sad this was only a single season as they had a different twist on the concept)

11.  Robotech

Anime purists may cringe, but I still love this show, even knowing the details of how poorly the originals were chopped and reedited.

12.  Space:  1999

Doesn't get nearly the credit it deserves. But once you get past the implausibilities and the fact that it is now set in the past, it's quite a well done show. This is ripe for a good remake. Space: 2199, anyone?

Order above is rough and I'm probably missing some since I'm doing this off the top of my head.  I liked Alien Nation and The Flash, not sure I'd class them as "favorites" per se and I looked at "Highlander" as fantasy rather than SF.

No comment in this thread would be complete without a nod to my all-time favorite, Doctor Who (old & new).

Also, some of these suggestions bring up thoughts of those maybe slightly cheezy shows from my youth in the 70s and 80s. The Tomorrow People. Jason of Star Command. Ark II. The Lost Saucer. The Phoenix. Lost in Space.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

I just never got into British SF -- at least, post-war British SF.  Doctor Who does nothing for me.

Don't judge "The Wild Wild West" TV series by that horrid movie.  As I understand it, Robert Conrad collected a Razzie for the movie because he thought it was so bad it defamed the TV show.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

I have enjoyed a couple of the currently running series Person of Interest.  A lot of viewers probably aren't aware that it is really fiction!  :smileylol:

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Person of Interest is good, but for some reason I can't keep my attention on it.  The newest genre show I'm loving is Awake.  I can't wait to see if they decide it's all in his head or if it's all real.

deesy58 wrote:

I have enjoyed a couple of the currently running series Person of Interest.  A lot of viewers probably aren't aware that it is really fiction!  :smileylol:

Distinguished Correspondent
DCLOVELL
0 Kudos

I'm way late to this thread but...here are mine.

1)  Babylon 5

2) Twilight Zone

3) The Pretender

4)  Planet of the Apes

For super hero related-

1)  The Flash

2)  Nightman

3) Birds of Prey

4)  The Crow

Out of all the above, B5 is my all time fave......

Contributor
sfamike1976
0 Kudos

Like the person above me, I am a bit late to this thread as well but just saw it as someone posted recently. Mine are:

1) Stargate SG-1

2) Stargate Atlantis

3) Eureka

4) Star Trek Deep Space Nine

5) Farscape

6) Sanctuary

7) X-Files

8) Earth 2

New User
Tyler-Smith

Doctor Who is my life

Inspired Correspondent
MacFlash

Anybody remember Alien Nation? I really enjoyed that.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

MacFlash wrote:

Anybody remember Alien Nation? I really enjoyed that.

I loved that show!

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Is anyone else watching Do No Harm.  It's an interesting take on the Jekyll/Hyde story

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

Is anyone else watching Do No Harm.  It's an interesting take on the Jekyll/Hyde story

I've gotten away from the tv lately.  I need to find some shows and watch again. That sounds like a neat take Ryan, when's it on?

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Actually, within an hour of posting this, I saw that NBC had already pulled the plug after two episodes.  I'm bummed.

Melhay wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

I've gotten away from the tv lately.  I need to find some shows and watch again. That sounds like a neat take Ryan, when's it on?

Bibliophile
Melhay

Ryan_G wrote:

Actually, within an hour of posting this, I saw that NBC had already pulled the plug after two episodes.  I'm bummed.

Melhay wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Oh no! That's not good.  How do they expect these shows to make it if they don't commercialize them more for more people to catch them. Bummer.  

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Amen!

Melhay wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Oh no! That's not good.  How do they expect these shows to make it if they don't commercialize them more for more people to catch them. Bummer.