Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Gaiman's Coraline

Has anyone seen the movie or read the book Coraline? Seems to be getting rave reviews and it looks pretty scary.

The trailer: http://www.coraline.com/

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: Gaiman's Coraline

Nadine:

My wife read the book and loved it! (And she is NOT a big genre fiction fan so it must be exceptionally good.)

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

Has anyone seen the movie or read the book Coraline? Seems to be getting rave reviews and it looks pretty scary.

The trailer: http://www.coraline.com/

Well I'm going the first ever 3D filmed puppet movie!

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Coraline was ABOSOLUTELY FREAKING WONDERFUL! You have to go see this movie! And if at all possible pay the extra $2.50 and go see it in 3D.

It's been a LONG time since a movie left me in such gleeful wonder. Highly recomended.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

What??? It's in 3-D??
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

My son really wants to see this.  It is an animated movies and being so he feels he should be able to go see it.  I noticed it is rated PG.  I will probably breakdown and take him.  It does look nifty.  I just can't get over the button eyes in the preview.

If you all feel it is that good I may have to take a trip.

Mel

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Nadine
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Coraline was ABOSOLUTELY FREAKING WONDERFUL! You have to go see this movie! And if at all possible pay the extra $2.50 and go see it in 3D.

It's been a LONG time since a movie left me in such gleeful wonder. Highly recomended.

If you want to see the 3D version you might want to do it sooner than later. Apparently it is only going to be round for a short period of time. I don't know exactly what the time limit is in US theaters. 

You might look at Gaiman's comments:

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/02/3d-or-not-3d.html

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

If you want to see the 3D version you might want to do it sooner than later. Apparently it is only going to be round for a short period of time. I don't know exactly what the time limit is in US theaters. 

You might look at Gaiman's comments:

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/02/3d-or-not-3d.html

This is the last weekend to go see it in 3D! HURRY!

TiggerBear

Melhay wrote:

My son really wants to see this.  It is an animated movies and being so he feels he should be able to go see it.  I noticed it is rated PG.  I will probably breakdown and take him.  It does look nifty.  I just can't get over the button eyes in the preview.

Mel

How young is your son? Its a bit more preteen and up than your adverage PG movie.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Mel

How young is your son? Its a bit more preteen and up than your adverage PG movie.

I was thinking that from what I was reading here.  He is 9.  Thanks for letting me know.  I wasn't sure, but was getting that impression here.  Like most kids they see animation and think it is all okay for them.  However, in this day and age, that is not always true.

Mel

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

I want to see it this weekend. The previews looked great. I couldn't talk my husband or girlfriend's into seeing it, but maybe my son. He will do a lot for a free movie/popcorn.
paulgoatallen

One of my elderly relatives just saw it and all he said was, "it gave me a headache." (Which means I'm definitely seeing it!)

Paul 

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

One of my elderly relatives just saw it and all he said was, "it gave me a headache." (Which means I'm definitely seeing it!)

Paul 

It is easily the best 3D I've ever seen, better than most IMAX flicks. Want a really trip half the previews are in 3D too. So watch it, then the credits (that have 3D critters) turn around and look at the projector. Those things fly at you just as bad backwards, so to speak. It's kinda cool.

Contributor
Anthrogrl
0 Kudos

I'm a huge Neil Gaiman fan, and Coraline is a great story that can be considered a modern fairy-tale.  In short, it's about a young girl who finds another world behind a door in her new house.  I won't say more for fear of spoiling the plot.  Gaiman is famous for blending reality and fantasy in his works.  For adults looking for a good read, American Gods is an amazing novel.  I can't recommend Gaiman's works highly enough.

As for the movie version of Coraline, it's stunning.  Not only is the 3-D animation amazing, but the plot does a good job of preserving Gaiman's unique perspective.  Adults who see it won't be bored.  And yes, it is creepy in some parts, but it's all in good taste.  Kids 8 and up should be fine with it.  It's a very sophisticated story that I think many kids will appreciate.