Inspired Scribe
orb9220

Game of Thrones series

Just finished watching the HBO "Game of Thrones" Season 1 and 2. What a fantastic well done series.

Haven't read the Books yet. But planning to before Season 3 april 2013

Anyone else see the series? And your take on it? How close to the books?

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright

Re: Game of Thrones series

Haven't seen the TV series yet.

Got the paperback over a decade ago. Couldn't get very far in it.

Got the ebook shortly before season 1 aired, because everyone seemed to be raving about it. (Plus it was on sale for like $2.99 or something equally cheap.)

Just about finishing it up now. Unless something radically changes to peak my interest, I don't know if I'll pick up book 2 immediately. Not a bad book, just slow to start for me. Also, the very dark world view and so few redeemable characters are wearying after awhile. Some may find this grimness "realistic," I like my fantasy with a bit more heroism.

pen21
0 Kudos

I love the HBO series. In fact I kept HBO just to watch Season 2. Season 3 if I don't have HBO, I will be at my son's house. I have finished books 1 and 2. Book 2 I read while I watched the season on HBO. I plan on reading book three before the season, will see if I get there in my pile of books. I really like the books, the world he builds, the characters. It is a harsh world and characters do die. But it makes it feel like what was meant to be. I am hooked.
Frequent Contributor
infael

series follows book pretty well (except for the Battle of the Blackwater Bay). Loves the series!! Is #1 all-time for me.

Contributor
Footballbutterfly
0 Kudos

Keep reading, there are some unlikely heroes (IMHO).  I grew angry/frustrated at times but a few characters (Arya, Jon Snow, Tyrion) intrigued me so much that I HAD to know what happened. I am pleased that the show has stayed so close to the books as well (unlike the True Blood debacle).

Author of YA Epic Fantasy Series ESTELAN and the adult Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance Emerald Seer Series (as Violet Patterson)
New User
cmaldona13
0 Kudos

I started reading the books shortly after I finished watching the first season.  I'm currently 500 pages into the fifth volume, A Dance with Dragons. I can only recommend that you read the books before watching more of the show.  I really struggled through the first book because the book story was so close to the show that I knew what happened and was just excited to advance the story.  That said, they are wonderfully written and Martin creates a completely immersive world.  It was fun to watch the second season even after I had read the second book.  The writers take some liberties with the story and the characters that keep it suprising.

Definitly read the books.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yep intend to start reading them. Tho kind of frustrating being use to waiting for a season to change so can start watching the next.

Now tho it seems to be getting more like  9 months to year to get to watch what happens next.Quite frustrating now to see a Season of television go from 22 episodes to 18 then 12. Kinda like the Big Mac shrinking over the years :smileytongue:

Tho I understand there is no way any production company could put that kind of production out as a weekly. Still sad to have to wait a year to see what happens next. Missed season 1 release so got to watch full story unfold watching season 1 and then 2 in short time frame which is what I prefer on a good series.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I was blown away by the HBO series, so I bought the set of the first four books, but I finally just got around to reading the first one, A Game of Thrones, recently (after I had seen the second season).  I really enjoyed the book, which I thought was very close to the series.  I've heard that the second season perhaps departs from the book a bit more.  I also just bought the season 1 DVDs and am about half-way through watching it.  I recently saw something about the new actors joining the cast for season 3 (next March).  I recognized a few of them (like the kid from Love, Actually, and Paul Kaye), but I am super-excited that Diana Rigg will be in it!!!  One thing I am noticing as I am watching the series - the character Ros, the prostitute that comes from near Winterfell (she is a favorite of Theon's, who recommends her to Tyrion) and then goes to King's Landing and works for Littlefinger.  I don't think there was anything about her in the novel.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

I just finished book 2 " Clash Of Kings"  I want to read all the books before I watch the HBO series. My daughter has them on DVD and loves the show and has started to read the "King Of Thrones". I have the characters in my mind and if I watch the show they won't be the same. The only one that is the same is the Imp. Tyrion, for some reason I remembered the actor from other movies and thought he was perfect. The other characters look different in my mind.

I also know that 2 more books are to come out, but I don't know when ,perhaps not for a while yet.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

The only one that is the same is the Imp. Tyrion, for some reason I remembered the actor from other movies and thought he was perfect.

Yep a Strong well played part by Peter Dinklage and was impressed with his performance. He has also done scifi "Threshold" series if I remember correctly.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

For some reason, I have never really liked Peter Dinklage in anything else I had seen him in, but he is really impressing me in this series.  Of course, Tyrion is one of the most fascinating characters, so maybe that has something to do with it.

optic_i, I do know what you mean.  While I was reading A Game of Thrones, I couldn't help but see, in my mind, the actors I know from the series, and even hearing their voices when I read the dialogue.  A good number of the characters did look as described, particularly the Lannisters and Targaryens, but some others do not.  In the book, Jon and Robb look very different, while in the series, I tended to get them mixed up for a while, because they looked so much alike!  And they're older in the HBO series than in the book, as are some of the other young adult characters, who are teenagers in the book..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

For some reason, I have never really liked Peter Dinklage in anything else I had seen him in, but he is really impressing me in this series...

He was excellent in The Station Agent and absolutely hilarious in Death at a Funeral (the original British version, not the African-American remake).

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Oh yes I remember Peter Drinklage in the "Station Agent"  he played a guy who's in a train club and inherits a train station. I thought he was good in it too.

Dulcinia, yes that's what I thought also. I saw a story somewhere that showed the Actor's in the "Games Of Thrones" show , and how they look on the show compared to how they look in real life. And Jon Snow And Rob Stark looked very different to me too. That's when I thought I would just read the books first. I don't have HBO so I can't be tempted to watch it LOL. But my daughter has the DVD's of season 1 and I can borrow hers. She is doing both reading the books and watching the show.

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Who are your favorite characters ?

Mine so far are #1, Tyrion the Imp.

Why ? I think he is smart and witty, he knows the Lannister's well. Even though they are his family he does not like them very much, nor they him. Also he knows how to win over enemies and sub groups ( The Burned men) and others.

#2, Jon Snow of the Night watch.

Why ? He understands what it's like to have no claim to his family. And he recognizes the value of Sam Tarly. Who I also like.

#3, Bran Stark of one of the young lords of Winterfell.

Why ? He was hurt and can no longer walk and dreams of becoming a Knight. And that he has Hodar who carries Bran every where in a basket on his shoulders. I also like Hodar the simple giant.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Who are your favorite characters ?

1, Tyrion the Imp - Yep probably the most interesting. As he finding his true calling of playing the game. And using his mind to overcome and assert himself in a big people's world.

2, Daenerys Targaryen - Even going to get better as she evolves into the Dragon Queen when they grow up. As she's growing a tough dragon hide to become a strong leader. Will be interesting to see how she develops. 

3. Arya Stark - The girl growing into a path of Swords for her? Haven't read the books yet. But seems she is destined to become a follower of the sword or assassin?

4. Petyr Baelish - Love his street savy wheeling and dealing for position and power. Will be interesting to see where his path leads.

5. Jaime Lannister - An arrogant skilled fighter with a real interface to the dark side. Love his negative take on humanity. And how Life is all just a game for his amusement. Think he plugs into the core truth of the nature of the beast really well.

Well just a few of my top 5 and many others I love. But those appear on screen I pay a bit more attention to the details and story.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

For some reason, I have never really liked Peter Dinklage in anything else I had seen him in, but he is really impressing me in this series...

He was excellent in The Station Agent and absolutely hilarious in Death at a Funeral (the original British version, not the African-American remake).

I've never seen The Station Agent, although it is on cable once in a while.  I did just see the British Death at a Funeral a few weeks ago, and I do agree, but perhaps I am enjoying him more now that I like him in Game of Thrones!  I actually thought that both versions (American and British) were quite funny; I hadn't known that it was an American remake until I looked at the description in the cable guide and noticed the British cast; I had just thought that it was the same movie that I had already seen.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

My favorite characters are:

Tyrion: A complex character.  At first he seems like a drunken, whoring mess, but as we come to know him, he is very smart and doesn't see everything as 'our family vs. theirs'.  He is about the only person who stands up to Joffrey.

Arya: Resourceful and rebellious.  I just love her.

Daenerys: From a weak girl under the thumb of her brother, she becomes a confident and powerful woman.  She wraps the powerful and barbaric Khal Drogo around her little finger.  And I love the dragons!

Jon Snow: A tortured soul, and loyal to his family, even while being rejected by Catelyn.  He is so close to Arya, too.

I'm also intrigued by Osha, the wildling girl they captured near Winterfell, and Shay (sp.), Tyrion's girlfriend.  I want to know who she is, and where she came from.  Baelish intrigues me, too; even though he is not to be trusted, I think he does want to protect and help Sansa because she reminds him of his love Catelyn.  Although I'm not entirely convinced of that, either.

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Orb, I think you would enjoy reading the books too !

They have really strong female characters in " The Game Of Thrones series"   

I also think Daenerys is going be a powerful Queen of Dragonstone. Now that she is rid of her rotten brother, and has 3 baby Dragons of her own to raise.

dulcinia,  I was also wondering about the Wildling girl Osha. She likes Bran and he is interested in her tales about her wildling life. Just like the tales old Nan would tell him.

Arya is going to become a real asset at Winterfell. She has the knowledge and skill of a knight. She is not content to be just a high born Lady like her sister Sansa.

Catelyn has her hands full with helping her children. And fighting the Lannisters. but I did wish she had more time for her youngest son Richen. He has been hanging around the Family Crypt at Winterfell, and his Direwolf Shaggy Dog has gone wild also.  Some how that can't be good.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Speaking of the wolves, I'm still waiting for Arya's wolf Nymeria to make a dramatic reappearance.  I wonder where she's been since Arya drove her off (unfortunately for Sansa and her wolf Lady).  I have to believe there will be more in store for Nymeria.  I'm expecting her to suddenly reappear and save Arya when she is in danger.  Keep in mind I've only read the first book and seen the first two series.  I have a lot of other books to read (and getting involved in discussions on B&N and Goodreads), and these are long ones, so I don't expect to read them all soon; it will be at least a few more months before I continue on to the second.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

Orb, I think you would enjoy reading the books too !

They have really strong female characters in " The Game Of Thrones series"   

Yep was first surprised with stronger independent women in Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series. And found it refreshing as don't like my women passive needing to be rescued in story or life. But one willing to box my ear's when I'm in the wrong :smileysurprised:

Just started to watch the series again!...Makes a great visual treat when working on the computer editing my photography images. Kind of like a background babysiter I pay attention to from time to time.

And just seen Mord is the gaoler in charge of the sky cells in the Eyrie as Tyrion tries to explain the concept of owing him money! Cracks me Up "Whack. "Is An Abstract Concept!".Whack!...Whack"