Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
qarae77
0 Kudos

Graphic Novels anyone?

I'm reading through the Fables series from Vertigo.  It's great!  Definately an adult comic book series though.

Concept: All of our mytical fairy tale and "fable" creatures (goldy locks, snow white, frog prince, mother hubbard, etc) have lost their homes and lands to a bad guy and his huge army and have been forced to flee to the only land not yet under his control....Our land.  The fables that look like human live in NYC on a block they call Fabletown.  All the non-human looking fables live on a farm in upstate New York.  Each "graphic novel" is a series of 2-3 comic books centered around a common storyline.  All of them tie together, but each one is like an "episode".

I am greatly enjoying this read. It's fun and entertaining.

Author
Stacia_Kane
0 Kudos

Re: Graphic Novels anyone?

[ Edited ]

I love the Fables books! I've lost track of them--we don't have any comic shops really close by--but I do really enjoy them. Sigh, I love Bigby, and I just think they're so clever and fun.

I also loved Preacher and Sandman. I loved Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing (just about anything Moore does, really); Garth Ennis's run on Hellblazer... If you're looking to really get into graphic novels (or if you already are but haven't read those yet) any of those are great places to start. :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by Stacia_Kane on 10-08-2008 12:07 PM

Learn more about Personal Demons.
B&N Bookseller
Brody
0 Kudos

I just finished the last graphic novel in Y: The Last Man. I thought this whole series was excellent. On a recommendation I just picked up the first Preacher graphic novel so its nice to see another recommendation for that series. :smileywink:
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

I'm with Stacia. I loved the Fables stuff. Here's my big question about graphic novels: as a longtime bookstore manager, I saw this "prejudice" firsthand for years – some SF/Fantasy fans, I think, consider graphic novels like a sort of red-haired stepchild. They don't get the respect they deserve and I don't know exactly why. It makes me laugh when people throw graphic novels like Sandman in with comic books – to me, they're two separate categories...

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Hmm

Graphic novels

Comic books

manga

All in the same boat to me, a wonderful way to entertain myself. I never bought into the lesser media status.  

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Graphic novels are great especially for those that have hard time reading regular books but still want to read.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

"Fables" is the only comic I read these days on a regular basis. I like Bigby, but I also like current Sheriff Beast as well.

I discovered Grant Morrison's run on "Doom Patrol" relatively recently, but love the installments that I have read.

Derek Tatum
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

I just placed a order for the first 5 vols of the Fable series.  I am looking forward to reading them. 
Phyllis
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

I was planning to read Terry Pratchett's Wyrd Sisters for one of my Halloween choices. And then I stumbled upon a graphics novel of two of his books. I looked at the preview on B&N and thought this might be real fun and a perfect introduction to the Discworld series. I was already chuckling my way into it.

Discworld Graphics Novel

I think Discworld would be great as a Graphics series but I haven't found any others yet. Love to find the Wyrd Sisters. Has anyone read this  recent graphics Discworld? It just came out last June.

Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

PhyllisJ wrote:
I just placed a order for the first 5 vols of the Fable series.  I am looking forward to reading them. 

Let us know what you think.
Derek Tatum
Inspired Wordsmith
LordRuthven
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

I never bought into the lesser media status.  

Same here. I am not an avid comics reader - that would be my brother - but I have enjoyed a number of comics and graphic novels over the years. Most of the Vertigo titles, "Hellboy," "Sin City," "The Crow," "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen," "The Goon," stuff like that.

Derek Tatum
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

I don't know if this is of interest but I was just looking through a Random House Publishing Group catalogue for fall/winter 2008 and there was a section where Del Rey announced the Dabel Brothers Graphic Novel series, which are "based on the bestselling fantasy and science fiction of today's hottest writers!"

The three titles listed were:

1. Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Welcome to the Jungle (9780345507464, $19.95) pub date 10/21

2. George R.R. Martin's Wild Cards: The Hard Call (9780345506412, $19.95) pub date 12/2

3. Dean Koontz's Frankenstein: Prodigal Son (9780345506405, $19.95) pub date 12/23 

I think this could be a fantastically successful partnership between Del Rey and Dabel Brothers Publishing. Any thoughts on this venture?

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
qarae77
0 Kudos

I was lucky enough to be able to get all volumes of this series at the local library.  I'm heading over there tomorrow for my weekly exchange and I will look for the Preacher series.  Thanks for the recommendation!

I'm not sure why the graphic novels genre seems to be looked down on by the sci-fi/fantasy readers.  It's almost like a "comic books are for kids" mentality.  What's up with that?

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Graphic novels are an incredibly artform.  Unfortunately its not just scifi/fantasy fans who look down on them - seems that the literary world in general does.  Most of the graphic novels I enjoy aren't really scifi oriented - I'm into stuff like Joe Sacco's books on Palestine and Bosnia, Spiegalman's Maus, some of Daniel Clowes' books, Jason Lutes book on pre-WW2 political strife in Berlin...  although I've also recently started Cerebus, which is fantasy begins in a very light comic book-ish fashion but quickly becomes much deeper than you'd expect when you start it. 

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!