Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen

Greg Bear's Hull Zero Three

I try to read everything Bear writes – he's been nominated or won the Hugo and Nebula Awards numerous times for works like Blood Music, Moving Mars, Darwin's Radio, The Forge of God, Queen of Angels, etc. – and I've heard from a few fellow reviewers that this is his best work to date.

Any way, here's the intriguing PW review:

Multiple Hugo and Nebula winner Bear (City at the End of Time) sets this difficult but rewarding short novel on an interstellar colony ship gone astray. Teacher was supposed to be awakened just before landfall. What he finds when he gains some semblance of consciousness, however, is a dangerous and chaotic environment, with monsters roaming the ship's corridors and no one in charge. As he and a small band of equally ignorant crew members attempt to reach the gigantic ship's control center, they travel through a series of labyrinthine spaces, uncovering a variety of clues to the disaster that has destroyed large parts of the starship and damaged the controlling AIs. Not for those who prefer their space opera simpleminded, this beautifully written tale where nothing is as it seems will please readers with a well-developed sense of wonder. (Dec.)

Has anyone read this yet? If so, please let me know what you thought!

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: Greg Bear's Hull Zero Three

Also, here's a VERY COOL machinima inspired trailer for Hull Zero Three!

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya

Thanks for the heads-up Paul. Looks like a neat little novel. I may give it a try (next month possibly - I've devastated my entertainment budget for this month :smileyvery-happy:).

I haven't had good luck with Bear (no fault of his - just unfortunate circumstances). Started with Eon and for some reason, lost interest (doesn't happen that often and it wasn't that bad). Then he was involved with that ... sacrilege :smileytongue: ... called the Second Foundation Trilogy (blargh!) :smileysad:. Having said that, Blood Music ranks way up there on my list of "books that simply blew my mind" so I have some idea of what I've been missing!

I keep thinking that I should really check out his stuff - all those Hugos and Nebulas can't be flukes :smileywink:. Perhaps this one can be my re-entry book back into Bear's universe :smileyhappy:.

The cake is a lie.
paulgoatallen

Well, this wasn't what I expected – but that's not a bad thing. My thoughts are below.

Paul

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Explorations-The-BN-SciFi-and/Classic-Neo-Retro-Science-Ficti...

Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya

Yowza! :smileysurprised:

That review is enough to bring it up to "NOW!" on my TBR list :smileywink:. Thanks for the insightful comments. Just gonna finish The forever war (better late than never eh?) and start on this one ...

The cake is a lie.