Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,327
Registered: ‎08-16-2007
0 Kudos

Gregory Maguire's A Lion Among Men

One of the most  interesting fantasy sagas to be released in recent years is Gregory Maguire's Wicked Years series, which includes Wicked, Son of a Witch and the forthcoming A Lion Among Men, which will be released on October 14th, 2008. For those of you who don't know, it's a revisionist chronicle of L. Frank Baum's Wizard of Oz story replete with all of the characters we've grown up with – except with a darkly enchanting twist. 

 

I've already read A Lion Among Men – it's arguably the best book in the series thus far – but I'd like to know what you guys think of this series? Any comments?

Paul 

 

 

 

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/A-Lion-Among-Men/Gregory-Maguire/e/9780060548926/?itm=1

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
Posts: 2,628
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Gregory Maguire's A Lion Among Men

I read Witch and Son Of A Witch for a local book discussion group and enjoyed both of them as long as you don't expect it to be like the orginal series.  I didn' know he was doing another book in the Oz series.  I will definitely have to check with the library and see if they are getting it.

 

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,327
Registered: ‎08-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Gregory Maguire's A Lion Among Men


Nelsmom wrote:

I read Witch and Son Of A Witch for a local book discussion group and enjoyed both of them as long as you don't expect it to be like the orginal series.  I didn' know he was doing another book in the Oz series.  I will definitely have to check with the library and see if they are getting it.

 

Toni


Toni:

Same here – I read the first two and thought they were both enjoyable. I really like A Lion Among Men because he focused entirely on the Cowardly Lion's story –before and after the adventure with Dorothy and company – which he made both whimsical and deeply touching.  I thought it was his best yet...

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
Posts: 2,628
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Gregory Maguire's A Lion Among Men

Looking forward to reading it when I can.

 

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Frequent Contributor
hpthatbme
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎02-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Gregory Maguire's A Lion Among Men

I read both of the books as well as several other twisted fairy tales of Maguire's and really most of them.  I will say that the Wicked series is great and I am really looking forward to the new installment!
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
Posts: 951
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Gregory Maguire's A Lion Among Men

I really enjoyed the first 2 books in the Wicked series. I thought the were original and humorous (in a dark way) and had good plots. The female characters were not really well developed IMO, but I expected that with a male author. Most people write their own sex best.
Contributor
THE-RED-BARON
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎09-13-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Gregory Maguire's A Lion Among Men

Maguire's third installment in the "Wicked Years" is a fun and compelling read for those who fell in love with the world of Elphaba and Galinda in "Wicked." This time, the story centers upon Brrr, the so-called Cowardly Lion, and Yackle, the ever-present and ever-mysterious maunt from the first two "Wicked" books. This book is not a summation, though; Maguire sets himself up for a minimum of two or three more prequels and sequels before the end of the novel.
"Words. The fancier they come, the awesomer they are."
â Edgar Allen Poe
Contributor
THE-RED-BARON
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎09-13-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Gregory Maguire's A Lion Among Men

Hello Bonnie824 -

 

I was wondering if you had seen the Broadway version of "Wicked" and if so what you thought about the book's adaptation. I have not seen it as of yet, but know people who have, yet have not read the book. The book to me was so well thought, so many little Wizard of OZ references. I always liked the wicked witch and felt she was misunderstood. And I do love how Maquire can pull so many different stories out of such alreadt famous characters.

"Words. The fancier they come, the awesomer they are."
â Edgar Allen Poe
Contributor
TheEvilQueen
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎08-21-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Gregory Maguire's A Lion Among Men

I really enjoyed Wicked and son of a witch...I can't wait to get A lion among men!
"Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever."
â Walt Disney
Contributor
Curtis_Lee
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎09-17-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Gregory Maguire's A Lion Among Men

I just loved Wicked and Son of a Witch and I can't wait for A Lion Among Men!  I am a big fan of Gregory Maguire's works and of the Wizard of Oz so this is one of the most exciting new releases for me!  Another new release that I can't wait for is Brisingr by Christopher Paolini.  I must get both! 
Wordsmith
Sarah3973
Posts: 403
Registered: ‎09-27-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Gregory Maguire's A Lion Among Men

Hi...I'm new hereI had just signed up when I saw that A Lion Among Men was a selectionI thought Wicked was one of the best books I'd read in yearsI'm lucky enough to have read all the L.Frank Baum Oz books when I was a little girl- I fell in love with the land of Oz and the characters, especially Ozma. I literally could not put those books downMy mother would come into my room at 4 AM and practically have to force whichever Oz book I was reading at the time out of my hands!!!  As an adult, I made my way through Wicked  in one sitting and then started right back at the beginning for a second go at itAnyway, I was floored when I found out about Wicked and then that Maguire was doing a seriesI can't wait to read the new book and see what everybody thinks!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
Posts: 951
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Gregory Maguire's A Lion Among Men


THE-RED-BARON wrote:

Hello Bonnie824 -

 

I was wondering if you had seen the Broadway version of "Wicked" and if so what you thought about the book's adaptation. I have not seen it as of yet, but know people who have, yet have not read the book. The book to me was so well thought, so many little Wizard of OZ references. I always liked the wicked witch and felt she was misunderstood. And I do love how Maquire can pull so many different stories out of such alreadt famous characters.


 

I have not, but several women I know (and am in a live bookclub with) did see it, one several times, I think by more local theatres. They all loved it, even those who don't read or care for fantasy fiction much.
Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,327
Registered: ‎08-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Gregory Maguire's A Lion Among Men


Sarah3973 wrote:
Hi...I'm new hereI had just signed up when I saw that A Lion Among Men was a selectionI thought Wicked was one of the best books I'd read in yearsI'm lucky enough to have read all the L.Frank Baum Oz books when I was a little girl- I fell in love with the land of Oz and the characters, especially Ozma. I literally could not put those books downMy mother would come into my room at 4 AM and practically have to force whichever Oz book I was reading at the time out of my hands!!!  As an adult, I made my way through Wicked  in one sitting and then started right back at the beginning for a second go at itAnyway, I was floored when I found out about Wicked and then that Maguire was doing a seriesI can't wait to read the new book and see what everybody thinks!

Sarah:

If you're a big fan of Wicked and Son of a Witch then I'm guessing you're going to love A Lion Among Men. It  obviously explores the Cowardly Lion's backstory but in doing so it really opens up the reader to more of the history of Oz. That's one of the things that I most loved about it – while weaving a compelling story about Brr, Maguire also succeeds in further doing some major "world-building." At the end of A Lion Among Men, I really started to feel like these books truly were a series and I think future installments will only strengthen this realm and this series. On a purely emotional level, i'd say that this last one – A Lion Among Men – was his most powerful novel yet.

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
qarae77
Posts: 27
Registered: ‎10-01-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Gregory Maguire's A Lion Among Men

I'm excited about this book. 

 

"Life and Times of the Wicked Witch"  was absolutely amazing!  I read it about 7 or 8 years ago.  Then read it again a few years ago before I went to see the Broadway musical.  The musical changed my life.  But if you haven't seen it yet, I want to let you know that it's pretty much just based on the concept of the book and a few of the events.

 

Son of a Witch wasn't nearly as facinating to me, but it was a good read.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Gregory Maguire's A Lion Among Men


qarae77 wrote:

I'm excited about this book.

 

"Life and Times of the Wicked Witch" was absolutely amazing! I read it about 7 or 8 years ago. Then read it again a few years ago before I went to see the Broadway musical. The musical changed my life. But if you haven't seen it yet, I want to let you know that it's pretty much just based on the concept of the book and a few of the events.

 

Son of a Witch wasn't nearly as facinating to me, but it was a good read.


I'm going to have to give this one a try. Wicked is in my town now and the books are all over the place. And some other stuff as well. I will have to get myself a hat to wear while I'm reading. :smileyvery-happy:

 

And welcome to the group, Rachel.

Frequent Contributor
qarae77
Posts: 27
Registered: ‎10-01-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Gregory Maguire's A Lion Among Men

I've seen Wicked the Musical..um..let me see...4 times now.  Three times in Dallas, Tx and once in NYC.  It's coming here to Austin in August of 2009 and I'm saving my pennies to see it a couple of times while it's here.

 

Yes, I'm obsessed.  I'll admit it.  But you will be too.  :-)

 

Thanks for the welcome!

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
Posts: 1,893
Registered: ‎07-15-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Gregory Maguire's A Lion Among Men

Hey everyone,

 

Just thought I'd let you all know that Gregory Maguire is going to be visiting the Center Stage forum from October 27-31 to talk about A Lion Among Men.  Please drop in and say hi!

 

 

________________________________________

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,327
Registered: ‎08-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Gregory Maguire's A Lion Among Men


Jon_B wrote:

Hey everyone,

 

Just thought I'd let you all know that Gregory Maguire is going to be visiting the Center Stage forum from October 27-31 to talk about A Lion Among Men.  Please drop in and say hi!

 

 


Wow – this is great news! I for one have quite a few questions for Mr. Maguire. For those of you who are new to these forums, we've had the opportunity to post questions and comments to a laundry list of literary luminaries (say that five times fast!) so here's your chance to interact directly with Gregory Maguire himself! Very cool – and even cooler since he'll be here on Halloween! :smileyhappy:

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Wicked

[ Edited ]

OK, Paul. I'm getting pesty again! If you look at B&N's front page they are featuring Wicked for Halloween. And they have a direct link to our board. They also have a special Wicked page -- with a direct link to our board! And we have Gregory Maguire visiting the Center Stage board the week October 27th. Now don't you think we should add Wicked as a featured Halloween book? Maguire is on board at Center Stage to promote his new book but I bet with your charm, you could persuade him to join us for a little visit to talk about Wicked. Now look what that could do for this board!

Discussion? No problem. There is at least a few who have read it or are reading it. And I'm sure there are more on the board and more that would join us with a little "sticky" thread for Wicked. I got my copy yesterday and started reading it last night and I think there is a lot in this book to talk about beyond the superficial "I like it" (or not). And the sales clerk just raved about it, the musical and the CD (I will have to get the CD and the musical is in the Los Angeles area at the Pantages Theater for the next couple of months for those in Southern California).

Here is the link to the Wicked page. They only had this stuff plus baseball hats and T-shirts at my B&N but I picked up a witch's hat to read in at my local drug store! :smileywink: (Now how do get Kevin to add a Witch's avatar to the line-up of new avatars?)

 

So how about it folks. Join me in a discussion about Wicked!

Message Edited by Nadine on 10-05-2008 12:10 PM
Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,327
Registered: ‎08-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Wicked

[ Edited ]

Nadine wrote:

OK, Paul. I'm getting pesty again! If you look at B&N's front page they are featuring Wicked for Halloween. And they have a direct link to our board. They also have a special Wicked page -- with a direct link to our board! And we have Gregory Maguire visiting the Center Stage board the week October 27th. Now don't you think we should add Wicked as a featured Halloween book? Maguire is on board at Center Stage to promote his new book but I bet with your charm, you could persuade him to join us for a little visit to talk about Wicked. Now look what that could do for this board!

Discussion? No problem. There is at least a few who have read it or are reading it. And I'm sure there are more on the board and more that would join us with a little "sticky" thread for Wicked. I got my copy yesterday and started reading it last night and I think there is a lot in this book to talk about beyond the superficial "I like it" (or not). And the sales clerk just raved about it, the musical and the CD (I will have to get the CD and the musical is in the Los Angeles area at the Pantages Theater for the next couple of months for those in Southern California).

Here is the link to the Wicked page. They only had this stuff plus baseball hats and T-shirts at my B&N but I picked up a witch's hat to read in at my local drug store! :smileywink: (Now how do get Kevin to add a Witch's avatar to the line-up of new avatars?)

 

So how about it folks. Join me in a discussion about Wicked!

Message Edited by Nadine on 10-05-2008 12:10 PM

Nadine:

You're absolutely right – Having Gregory Maguire here in F&SF would be awesome! I do understand B&N's thinking, though. I mean, this series soooo transcends any genre category. I think by having the visit at Center Stage, it'll attract way more "mainstream" people – and since all of us forum regulars already know about the visit, it's easy for us to just hop on over to Center Stage for a bit.

 

I am also very, very excited about the link to the Fantasy & SF Book Club. Hopefully that will attract some of those fans of the Wicked novels who have yet to discover the forums to check out what we're all about.

 

And I am all for starting a "Halloween" thread about Wicked! Or we could just continue talking about the entire series in the A Lion Among Men thread to keep things neat. What do you think? I'm into it either way – and I want a witch's hat too! :smileysad:

Paul

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 10-05-2008 08:07 PM
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky