Contributor
Benji71306
0 Kudos

H.P. Lovecraft! Short Story Reader!

I recently read a collection of H.P. Lovecraft (Music of Eric Zahn, At the Mountains of Madness, etc.) and I was wondering if anyone knew any other real good short stories by Lovecraft, or anyone else.  I am interested in stories with a horror aspect. 

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: H.P. Lovecraft! Short Story Reader!

Benji71306 wrote:

I recently read a collection of H.P. Lovecraft (Music of Eric Zahn, At the Mountains of Madness, etc.) and I was wondering if anyone knew any other real good short stories by Lovecraft, or anyone else.  I am interested in stories with a horror aspect. 

Benji,

Next month one of the featured selections is H. P. Lovecraft's The Watchers Out Of Time.  Another one you might like that is short stories kind of on the Horror side is The Living Dead which has stories by Clive Barker, Stephen King, Poppy Z. Brite, Neil Gamin and Joe Hill as just a few of the authors with short stories.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: H.P. Lovecraft! Short Story Reader!

Benji71306 wrote:

Benji:

Toni's right – in March, we're going to be featuring H.P Lovecraft's collection, The Watchers Out of Time (9780345485694, $14.00).

Lovecraft is unarguably the grandfather of modern horror. I'm a huge horror fan and so much of the contemporary stuff uses over-the-top graphic violence as (in my opinion) a crutch for mediocre storytelling. Lovecraft was The Man when it came to scaring the bejezus out of readers. And he didn't need to exploit sex or violence to create stories that literally make your skin crawl. I'm so glad you discovered Lovecraft, Benji –  I actually found him while reading Aleister Crowley. It was the whole "forbidden knowledge" thing... My fav Lovecraft work has to be Mountains of Madness. Classic. 

The only modern writer that I have read who has come close to Lovecraft is a guy named Frank Chigas. His books are incredibly hard to find but if you can get your hands on The Damp Chamber and Other Stories, do it! It's one of the best horror collections I've ever read!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky