Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
LindsayLou
0 Kudos

Have you read City of Bones by Cassandra Clare?

I was in B&N the other day and up front and center sat a nice Twilight display. The Twilight fan in me sauntered over to see what was new and noticed a book stand near by. This stand featured 3 (maybe 4) books by Cassandra Clare, the first being titled City of Bones. What really caught my attention was the quote along the top "Sorry Edward and Jacob, but I'm with Jace tonight"-Stephenie Meyer. Wow! What a quote for an author to put out there! Thinking this might be a good read for my Fantasy bookclub, I would like your thoughts. Is this book (series) any good? I've heard about a new series where a girl falls in love with an angel, is this it? My bookclub is new and will begin in a few months, so I would like to start us all on something fun, but simple, to get us into the groove. Many of us have read books such as: Twilight, Harry Potter, Green Rider series, Inkheart Trilogy, Witches of Eileanan, and the Eragon books. Thanks for your time -Lindsay

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Re: Have you read City of Bones by Cassandra Clare?

[ Edited ]

hi ya,

Okay so I have read City of Bones and City of Ashes the first two books in this series  I own the third City of Glass(the last one in this series) but I haven't finished it yet (I read it to my little girl before she goes to bed so it's Kind of hard to finish it fast lol). This book has Shadow Hunters (which is like a demon Hunter), vampires, wares, demons and other magical beings.  It has something to do with angels because the Shadow Hunters are like descendants from angels or somthing like that so this might be the book they were refering to. I would recommend this book if you are looking for something simple and fun!! Well I hope this helps and if you have any other questions I'd be more than happy to help. One thing I know is that the YA's are going crazy over this series!! Good luck with your book club!!!

Carmen

Message Edited by carmen22 on 04-10-2009 10:01 AM
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Inspired Contributor
LindsayLou
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:

hi ya,

Okay so I have read City of Bones and City of Ashes the first two books in this series  I own the third City of Glass(the last one in this series) but I haven't finished it yet (I read it to my little girl before she goes to bed so it's Kind of hard to finish it fast lol). This book has Shadow Hunters (which is like a demon Hunter), vampires, wares, demons and other magical beings.  It has something to do with angels because the Shadow Hunters are like descendants from angels or somthing like that so this might be the book they were refering to. I would recommend this book if you are looking for something simple and fun!! Well I hope this helps and if you have any other questions I'd be more than happy to help. One thing I know is that the YA's are going crazy over this series!! Good luck with your book club!!!

Carmen

Message Edited by carmen22 on 04-10-2009 10:01 AM

Yes, this really does help! I was starting to think that no one had read these books. Well, the fact that young adults are going crazy over these books, must mean they are pretty good. One thing I love about young adult books is that they tend to focus more on the story rather then getting bogged down by detail. While detail is good and can make a book, not everything needs to be said. Sometimes it's best not to explain the culture's history or the way the lines look on the chair. I think J.K. Rowling really mastered the art of giving just enough info, but not too much. When not used right, detail can make a story move very slowly and bore the reader. Any way, I'm getting off topic-- based on your review I think this book might be a good starting point for the club. Thanks for commenting!

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

LindsayLou wrote:

Yes, this really does help! I was starting to think that no one had read these books. Well, the fact that young adults are going crazy over these books, must mean they are pretty good. One thing I love about young adult books is that they tend to focus more on the story rather then getting bogged down by detail. While detail is good and can make a book, not everything needs to be said. Sometimes it's best not to explain the culture's history or the way the lines look on the chair. I think J.K. Rowling really mastered the art of giving just enough info, but not too much. When not used right, detail can make a story move very slowly and bore the reader. Any way, I'm getting off topic-- based on your review I think this book might be a good starting point for the club. Thanks for commenting!

If you really enjoy YA books then I would recommend the Teen Book Club thats where I get ideas for books for me and my Daughter to read. This club is more for the adult Fantasy books I believe. I will give you a few I have read that were Outstanding and I highly recommend:

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Series #1)   by Suzanne Collins one of my Favorite books and I can't wait until Catching Fire (Hunger Games Series #2) comes out Sept. 1st Woot Woot!! LOL!

Graceling  by Kristen Cashore

The Naming (pellinor series) by Alison Croggon  

The Warrior Heir (Heir Series #1) by Cinda Chima 

Message Edited by carmen22 on 04-10-2009 09:12 PM
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Contributor
Selber44
0 Kudos

I read the first two in the series and am reading the third now (literally as soon as get off my computer) and am so far enjoying it.  The story certianly does move quickly and doesn't get slowed down with a lot of detail or history.  I'd recommend the series (and in fact have).  It'll probably make a nice start for you bookclub.  Hope you all enjoy it.
"Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational theory for lunatics who think they're Gods and an excellent argument for polytheism."
SM Stirling
Inspired Contributor
LindsayLou
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Selber44 wrote:
I read the first two in the series and am reading the third now (literally as soon as get off my computer) and am so far enjoying it.  The story certianly does move quickly and doesn't get slowed down with a lot of detail or history.  I'd recommend the series (and in fact have).  It'll probably make a nice start for you bookclub.  Hope you all enjoy it.

Thank you very much! I think it will work out just fine. I really look forward to reading them. The series I'm reading now is ok, but has long periods a dullness and way more information then I really need to enjoy the story. It'll be nice to read something that is to the point and exciting.

Message Edited by LindsayLou on 04-11-2009 10:09 AM
Inspired Contributor
LindsayLou
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

carmen22 wrote:

If you really enjoy YA books then I would recommend the Teen Book Club thats where I get ideas for books for me and my Daughter to read. This club is more for the adult Fantasy books I believe. I will give you a few I have read that were Outstanding and I highly recommend:

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Series #1)   by Suzanne Collins one of my Favorite books and I can't wait until Catching Fire (Hunger Games Series #2) comes out Sept. 1st Woot Woot!! LOL!

Graceling  by Kristen Cashore

The Naming (pellinor series) by Alison Croggon  

The Warrior Heir (Heir Series #1) by Cinda Chima 

Message Edited by carmen22 on 04-10-2009 09:12 PM

I just might check that out. I'm not really a book club person. I have a very distinct taste when it comes to the books I read and I often dont pay attention to the labels (YA, adult, children, whatever). I look for fantasy adventures, really prefer female authors, and female leads. I often will snoop around the story to see what catches my attention and I listen to reviews and to what ppl are talking about. I just happen to notice that most of the stories on my bookshelf that are really the best are mostly YA. Of course, all of that is the reason I've decided to start my own bookclub. I had so many ppl already following the books I read that I said "Why not?". The B&N bookclub for me is more about answering questions and asking. I'll definetly check out those books though. They could be good reads for the future! Thanks again for all of your help. -Lindsay

Message Edited by LindsayLou on 04-11-2009 10:10 AM
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

LindsayLou wrote:

I look for fantasy adventures, really prefer female authors, and female leads.

Then I think you would really enjoy The Hunger Games and Graceling female authors and Female Leads!!

Message Edited by carmen22 on 04-11-2009 10:14 AM
Inspired Contributor
LindsayLou
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:

Then I think you would really enjoy The Hunger Games and Graceling female authors and Female Leads!!

Ooooo then those will be the first I check out! Thanks a bunch Carmen, you've been a huge help! :smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

LindsayLou wrote:

carmen22 wrote:

Ooooo then those will be the first I check out! Thanks a bunch Carmen, you've been a huge help! :smileyvery-happy:

Your Welcome Lindsay no problem!!
New User
vampireangelbaby
0 Kudos

the hunger games is really good, but i don't recommend it for children under around ten. there are a lot of people who die. i don't know, read it before you read it to your kid. as for City of Bones, it's amazing. the second one is good too. i haven't read the third one, lack of book, but it's pretty good.
Inspired Contributor
SarahReadsAlot
0 Kudos

I love the City series by Cassandra Clare. All of the characters are amazing there is a lot of good action it doesn't get too slow in too many parts. There are so really good plot twists that you never see coming... This series was one of the first I read after finishing the Twilight series, so if you like them I would say there is a very good chance you would like this one as well. Some other YA books and writers that I have really liked are Tithe, Valiant, and Ironside by Holly Black and the Melissa Marr books.
What does it mean when nightmares long for dreams and shadows wish for light?
Contributor
angelscrest
0 Kudos

Hello! I am a Mortal Instruments fan, and have been involved in a Google discussion group of MI fans.

I thought, while I was on the B&N website, I would check for Cassandra Clare fans here.

Did you all know that there is a fourth book planned, which I think is called City of Fallen Angels?

In addition to this, Cassandra Clare is getting ready to release a new series: The Infernal Devices, which is a prequal to City of Bones, takes place in the Victorian Era, and belongs to the "Steam Punk" genre.

I look forward to getting to know the MI fans here on B&N:smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
LindsayLou
0 Kudos

I actually heard about that. I'm glad that she is making a fourth book. The third one didn't feel finished. Sabastian got away---- which means he'll be back. Plus, Jace and Clary didn't get to feel like a couple. It just felt forced and awkward. I was angry that I wasn't given the chance for them to really enjoy their love together. Especially after all of that back and forth, siblings not siblings, stuff throughout all of the books. 

New User
0 Kudos

This book is really AWESOME. I heard shes making a fourth book thats called The City Of Fallen Angels.Did you know that they are making a movie or at least thats what i heard.:robotvery-happy: Oh, and she's making the Infernal series too.:robotvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
WriterMom
0 Kudos

I have read all three in the series. I was a huge Twilight fan, not that i don't still love twilight, but, since i have read MIS I am totally in lovene of  with this series. it's definatly one of those series you can read and re-read. That is the second time I heard there was going to be a 4th book and the second time today I heard it was going to be a movie.....Any thoughts on who you think they will cast?

32477418 wrote:

This book is really AWESOME. I heard shes making a fourth book thats called The City Of Fallen Angels.Did you know that they are making a movie or at least thats what i heard.:robotvery-happy: Oh, and she's making the Infernal series too.:robotvery-happy:

The Boondock Saints Pictures, Images and Photos