Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
lady_hockey
0 Kudos

[Hitchhiker's Guide] General Discussion.

[ Edited ]
I'm sorry this board is so very late, but school (and hockey and work) are a lot.

Better late than never right?

This is a thread to discuss our September Book Club Selection.

What was your favourite scene? Why?
What are some great lines? Some great paragraphs even!
What are some less-than-comical elements that you can take from this story? How does it relate to real life around us? Does it relate? Why or why not?
What did you like or dislike about this book? Why?

These are only guidelines, feel free to discuss anything about this book that you'd like.

And don't forget your towel.

Message Edited by lady_hockey on 09-19-2007 09:37 PM
~*~Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.~*~
New User
Must_read_faster
0 Kudos

Re: [Hitchhiker's Guide] General Discussion.

Maybe I'm not in the right mood, or maybe I'm too busy lately, but this book isn't doing anything for me so far. I'm a quarter of the way through it, and I could'nt care less about finishing it. I don't like any of the characters yet. It's cute, I guess, but it feels like I'm reading a cartoon and wasting my time. What am I missing....besides the end?
Frequent Contributor
lady_hockey
0 Kudos

Must_read_faster wrote:
Maybe I'm not in the right mood, or maybe I'm too busy lately, but this book isn't doing anything for me so far. I'm a quarter of the way through it, and I could'nt care less about finishing it. I don't like any of the characters yet. It's cute, I guess, but it feels like I'm reading a cartoon and wasting my time. What am I missing....besides the end?

Well if you were looking for serious, or thought provoking, you picked up the wrong book. This series is lighthearted and fun. It spoofs many things in the SciFi universe and has created jokes all it's own. If you're not looking to giggle, you might as well not read it.
New User
Must_read_faster
0 Kudos

I knew it was supposed to be funny, and who couldn't use a good laugh, but I guess it's not my type of humor. Thanks...I'll move on.
Frequent Contributor
lady_hockey
0 Kudos

Must_read_faster wrote:
I knew it was supposed to be funny, and who couldn't use a good laugh, but I guess it's not my type of humor. Thanks...I'll move on.

Well, everyone has a different style of humour. Let us know if you do find something that makes you laugh!
New User
Must_read_faster
0 Kudos

Oh gosh....Anne Tyler, Carl Hiaasen, Jennifer Crusie...they make me laugh out loud, but they're not sci-fi. How 'bout A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller? That was sci-fi, I think, and it was funny in places. It tickled my funnybone anyway!

I don't wanna step on anybody's toes by saying that I didn't enjoy the book. I'm a member of a couple of book clubs at my library, and it always surprises me how differently people can react to the same books. Guess that's what makes us interesting!
Reader
LauraDelta
0 Kudos

This is my first month with the book club and I was so excited to see the Guide was the book for the month. I've been a huge fan of Douglas Adams for years, and thoroughly enjoy his work. The Guide is one of the books that you either enjoy or hate, and I am certainly one who enjoys it. I find the characters well developed, and the dialogue entertaining. The humor used in the story comes from the manner in which he describes things and places (at least for me.) For example: "The ships hung in the air, in much the same way that bricks don't." or "Zaphod walked up to the bar, and drank most of it." It cracks me up! I have found Arthur Dent, his journey through space with no purpose or destination, and his wacky companions a joy to read. Though I must say I wasn't a huge fan of the movie that was put out a couple of years ago.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. ~Douglas Adams
Contributor
Galium
0 Kudos

I had a difficult time getting into 'Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy'. It reminded me of something I saw in college. One of my professor's had a blackboard in her office. People were writing SciFi words, that they had made up, on it. The idea was to take two totally unrelated words and put them together. Some of them were very clever.

Back to the book........What a spoof! All I can say is that nobody is ever going to put a fish in my ear.
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Look if you like British comedy you'll like "hitchhiker's". Its one those tests like "do you like python?". You have to be able to surrender to the absurd.

-What's the answer to life, the universe, and every thing? 42!