Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom

Humorous Science Fiction/Fantasy

[ Edited ]

On another website I found a list of who they think are the Science Fiction/Fantasies most Humorous authors.  They are:

Douglas Adams

Robert Asprin

Esther Friesner

Cory Doctorow

Harry Harrison

Keith Laumer

Spider Robinson

James Schmitz

Christopher Stasheff

Dave Stone

John Zakow

I have read books by all but the last two but I feel that they have left out quite a few authors that I think should have been listed so here is who I would add and feel free to agree or not and add others that you want

My list would include the following:

Piers Anthony

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Jody Lyn Nye

Terry Pratchett

Stephen Brust

Rick Cook

L. Sprague de Camp

John de Chancie

C. Dale Brittain

Those are the ones that I have read and really enjoyed.

Toni

Message Edited by Nelsmom on 02-20-2009 06:39 PM
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: Humorous Science Fiction/Fantasy

Toni:

I'd vote for Terry Pratchett – I don't laugh out loud at much but his Discworld novels always surprise me and crack me up!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic
0 Kudos

Yes, Sir Terry is definately king of funny.

There's also Tom Holt. I bought Nothing But Blue Skies the day I bought my first Discworld novel, and I enjoyed it just as much. Not all of his work is that great, but the good stuff is fantastic.

Inspired Contributor
gegarland
0 Kudos

Lionel Fenn (pseudonym for Charles Grant). He passed away a couple of years ago and hasn't been on the bookshelves in a while, but I still remember as one of the most

gut-busting ROTFLMAO moments I have ever had was when Tuesday fell into a pout while arguing with her brother, former backup pro-football quarterback Gideon Sunday. Now normally this would not be much of a problem, but since Tuesday was at this point transformed into a large white duck...

Alive, occupying space, and exerting gravitational force
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Toni:

I'd vote for Terry Pratchett – I don't laugh out loud at much but his Discworld novels always surprise me and crack me up!

Paul 

I'll second Pratchett and add The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Toni:

Paul 

I'll second Pratchett and add The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Douglas Adams wrote The Hitchhiker's Guilde series. The books, the movies, tv specials, radio broadcasts.  

Where is your towel?

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1

The number 1 slot is a no brainer for me. Sir Terry without a doubt (saw a sweet pic the other day of The Man doing the kneel down for his actual Knighting from the Queen)!

after that, for me, it's:

Charles Grant aka Lionel Fenn- gegarland had a vote for him, although it was the Kent Montana series I liked best (Gideon Sunday a close second)

A. Lee Martinez- "Gil's All Fright Diner", "In the Company of Ogres" were dang funny

John Moore- "Bad Prince Charlie" and "Heroics For Beginners" were laugh out loud funny

Robert Asprin- The Myth series and Phule's Company.

Keith Laumer- Retief series

Lawence Watt-Evans- Ethshar series

Glen Cook- Garrett P.I- I know, more Detective Noir than comedy, but the the banter between characters is really funny.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog