Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
jobrolover
0 Kudos

I need something new to read. Suggestions Please!

I'm low on things to read and would like to get some new books does anyone have any suggestions?
Don't Judge a book by it's cover because it's the inside that counts.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: I need something new to read. Suggestions Please!

jobrolover wrote:
I'm low on things to read and would like to get some new books does anyone have any suggestions?

If you like something kind of light but with a mystery mixed in I would suggest Glen Cook's Garrett P.I. series that starts with Sweet Silver Blues.  If you want something with humor that is a little darker try Mark Henry's Happy Hour Of The Damned.  If you kind of like Military history try Mark Shephard's Kris Longknife series.  It would help if you mention what kinds of things you like to read.  Like hard science,  lighter fantasy, epic fantasy. or the military or soap opera types. But these are a few suggestions that come off the top of my head.

Toni 

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Yes, more information please. Too many good books out there to list them all.
Frequent Contributor
jobrolover
0 Kudos

Sorry I should have added that right away but im into the Eragon series, Septimus heap well fantasy i like fantasy with mythical creatures and all that stuff. hope this helps
New User
Ta2_princess
0 Kudos

Best book ever - The Stolen Child by Keith Donahue. If you like fantasy, woodland creatures and awesome storytelling - READ THIS BOOK. I loved it and recommend it to everyone who will listen. No Joke.
Frequent Contributor
Scraggles
0 Kudos

Ta2_princess wrote:
Best book ever - The Stolen Child by Keith Donahue. If you like fantasy, woodland creatures and awesome storytelling - READ THIS BOOK. I loved it and recommend it to everyone who will listen. No Joke.

I had read the blurbs on this one a while back, and meant to try it, but completely forgot the author name/title. Thanks so much for jogging my memory!!

As for me, I've been loving Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series, the first title is 'Furies of Calderon'.

Have you tried any Piers Anthony?? I loved some of his earlier work, but admit I haven't read anything lately.
Frequent Contributor
jobrolover
0 Kudos

no i haven't heard of him
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

GASP! Not heard of Piers Anthony?!?!? You are in for a real treat. Xanth series funny, Mode series scientific, Incarnation series philosophical.
Frequent Contributor
jobrolover
0 Kudos

thanks! i will check out some of the books you metioned:smileyhappy:
MDS
Contributor
0 Kudos

I've just written a new fantasy novel:  NEVAEH by MD Sanford....  If you read it, I'd love to know what you think!  Thanks. 
Contributor
jennyonfire
0 Kudos

I really liked the Leven Thumps books. And one of my favorite series was the Bartaemus trilogy : The Aumulet of Samarkand, The Golems Eye and Ptyolemys eye. Really super good.
Inspired Contributor
julia823
0 Kudos

i suggest the green rider series by kristen britain. that is if u havent read it already
" Its a quarter after one i'm all alone and i need you now i said i wouldnt come but i lost all control and i need you now and i dont know how i can do without i just need you now"
New User
magpot
0 Kudos

Scott Westerfeld is a favorite of mine right now.  I prefer his Midnighters & Peeps series over his Uglies series.  I'm also reading Unwind by Neal Shusterman and I'm having a hard time putting it down.
Frequent Contributor
M-Elffriend
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 09-20-2008 08:33 PM
Author Lord Emberstone's Quest www.lordemberstonesquest.com
Inspired Contributor
dragonchica
0 Kudos

Infected by Scott Sigler, really good, and creepy. 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dragonchica/
New User
tigger-fan
0 Kudos

I would recommend Tad Williams the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series. First book is The Dragonbone Chair. I hope you enjoy it. Also David Drakes , The King of the Isles , is good also.
New User
Fantasygrl
0 Kudos

Have you read the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik?  If not these are excellent books.  Basically they are set in Europe during the Napoleonic Wars, but it is an alternate type history with Britain and France having an Aerial Corps of dragons.  If you like the Inheritance series by Christopher Paolini you will probably love these books.  The first one is His Majesty's Dragon
Contributor
Papazak
0 Kudos

After reading your "Favorite Books" I was, also, going to suggest Piers Anthony's Xanth series. But, more importantly his ADEPT series, its set in both a scifi and a fantasy settingIm not a big Scifi fan but I though this series was amazing!! I could read it over and over :smileyhappy: 

Also Kate Forsyth's books are very good!

New User
snakehide
0 Kudos

I read a lot of books so I might be able to help you out. You say you like fantasy type books? Well have you tried reading The Dark Reflections Trilogy by Kai Meyer? Great trilogy! I'm only on the second book right now, but so far the adventure has been a real page turner! I think you'll like it. Another series you might want to try is Deltora Quest by Emily Rodda. Now the Deltora Quest series is a little more "childish." The books are small and an easy read, but they are another great page turner. Another trilogy you may want to try is Crown and Covenant by Douglas Bond. This trilogy is a little more historic than fantasy. It takes place in Scotland and how the Scots are fighting for their independence from Britain. I also would place this into a good page turning trilogy.