Frequent Contributor
foureyed
0 Kudos

If their characters met them in a dark alley....

Who do you think would die the most horrible death among authors if their own characters caught them? I am thinking probably Kristen Britain or Mercedes Lackey.... Female authors can be brutal!
If ignorance is bliss, then Washington D.C. is the Happiest Place on Earth!
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: If their characters met them in a dark alley....

Tamara Siler Jones

Stephen King   his wife Tabitha is even worse

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

I'm going to go with Dan Simmons, meeting up with the Shrike.  That would be pretty nasty!

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Inspired Contributor
LindsayLou
0 Kudos

foureyed wrote:
Who do you think would die the most horrible death among authors if their own characters caught them? I am thinking probably Kristen Britain or Mercedes Lackey.... Female authors can be brutal!

I have to agree with you about Kristen Britain. She was the first Author I thought of and just as you said, she is sooo brutal. I always feel such pity for her characters--- no one gets an easy death. Another Author I can think of is J.K. Rowling. If Voldemort got his hands on her you know he’d be using the unforgivable curses just to get back at her for writing that Harry Wins in the end.

Reader
RoxyTheBookSlut
0 Kudos

Lovecraft, Dante, Poe, V. C. Andrews, Bradbury, Anne Rice, my husband says C. S. Friedman, R. A. Salvatore, Clive Barker, and pretty much any Zombie author
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I would have to agree with Clive Barker, can you imagine what Pin Head would do to him?

I would add David Eddings meeting Martel, Melanie Rawn meeting Glenin Feiran, and Kate Elliot meeting some of her nastier Crossroads characters.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

In terms of "bowel loosening" fear goes, nothing – and I do mean nothing – even comes close to Lovecraft's Cthulthu.

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic
0 Kudos

Speaking of which, how exactly do you pronounce Cthulthu?
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Hey Paul, what happened to picking a Lovecraft book for a selection?  I know there was talk somewhere over the last 2 months but I haven't seen you post anything about it yet.  No big deal though, just wondering.

paulgoatallen wrote:

In terms of "bowel loosening" fear goes, nothing – and I do mean nothing – even comes close to Lovecraft's Cthulthu.

Paul 

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Raven_Lunatic wrote:

ok    ka-thu-lu

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

fforgnayr wrote:
Hey Paul, what happened to picking a Lovecraft book for a selection?  I know there was talk somewhere over the last 2 months but I haven't seen you post anything about it yet.  No big deal though, just wondering.

Ryan:

I've still got The Watchers Out of Time by H.P. Lovecraft (9780345485694, $14.00) –a killer collection of stories –  as a potential feature, and I was going to use it in March but the collections that I've picked in the past have gone over like a lead balloon so I held off... What do you think? I can probably move things around in March if you really want it....

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Raven_Lunatic wrote:

I've never tried to say this word out loud.... It's like saying Beetlejuice three times in a row.

Paul 

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Paul, I personally would like it just becaue I have never read any of his work.

paulgoatallen wrote:

fforgnayr wrote:

Ryan:

I've still got The Watchers Out of Time by H.P. Lovecraft (9780345485694, $14.00) –a killer collection of stories –  as a potential feature, and I was going to use it in March but the collections that I've picked in the past have gone over like a lead balloon so I held off... What do you think? I can probably move things around in March if you really want it....

Paul 

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

fforgnayr wrote:
Paul, I personally would like it just becaue I have never read any of his work

Ryan:

Okay then, let's make March look like this:  

MARCH ’09 FANTASY/SCIENCE FICTION
Feature #1: Lamentation by Ken Scholes (9780765321275, $25.95) – AUTHOR VISIT!
Feature #2: Black Blood (9780553806717, $24.00) and Bone Song by John Meaney (9780553590951, $6.99)
Feature #3: The Watchers Out of Time by H.P. Lovecraft (9780345485694, $14.00)

How's that? Nothing really changes – we'll just combine the Meaney novels and squeeze in H.P. It will be interesting to see how popular this thread is.... I hope people who haven't read Lovecraft will take the time to do so. So much horror and dark fantasy has evolved from his work, he really is a genre icon right up there with Tolkien and Asimov...

Paul 

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Thank you Paul, you are my new hero.  The one thing I have really enjoyed this board for is that it gives me a excuse to read books I've wanted to read but probably never would have gotten to otherwise.

paulgoatallen wrote:

fforgnayr wrote:
Paul, I personally would like it just becaue I have never read any of his work

Ryan:

Okay then, let's make March look like this:  

MARCH ’09 FANTASY/SCIENCE FICTION
Feature #1: Lamentation by Ken Scholes (9780765321275, $25.95) – AUTHOR VISIT!
Feature #2: Black Blood (9780553806717, $24.00) and Bone Song by John Meaney (9780553590951, $6.99)
Feature #3: The Watchers Out of Time by H.P. Lovecraft (9780345485694, $14.00)

How's that? Nothing really changes – we'll just combine the Meaney novels and squeeze in H.P. It will be interesting to see how popular this thread is.... I hope people who haven't read Lovecraft will take the time to do so. So much horror and dark fantasy has evolved from his work, he really is a genre icon right up there with Tolkien and Asimov...

Paul 

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

fforgnayr wrote:
Thank you Paul, you are my new hero.  The one thing I have really enjoyed this board for is that it gives me a excuse to read books I've wanted to read but probably never would have gotten to otherwise.

Ryan:

Well, it may just be you and me getting down with Howard Phillips Lovecraft but at least we know it'll be a good discussion!  And I'm always looking for another reason to read Lovecraft so you helped me out as well...

Paul 

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Paul, Maybe you should post a addendum to the preview thread letting everyone know.  I'm sure there would be few others interested in reading it as well. But if not I'm still going to enjoy it.

paulgoatallen wrote:

fforgnayr wrote:

Ryan:

Well, it may just be you and me getting down with Howard Phillips Lovecraft but at least we know it'll be a good discussion!  And I'm always looking for another reason to read Lovecraft so you helped me out as well...

Paul 

Message Edited by fforgnayr on 02-01-2009 11:20 PM
Message Edited by fforgnayr on 02-01-2009 11:20 PM

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

fforgnayr wrote:

Paul, Maybe you should post a addendum to the preview thread letting everyone know. I'm sure there would be few others interested in reading it as well. But if not I'm still going to enjoy it.

Will do, Ryan. It'll be fun! Lovecraft is, well, Lovecraft... After reading this story collection, I'd highly suggest reading At the Mountains of Madness – that's my favorite Lovecraft work.
Paul 
Frequent Contributor
lordfeyr
0 Kudos

I would say GRR Martin.... I mean can you imagine Ned meeting Martin? 

*Spoiler*

I mean here Ned goes and makes an agreement to admit to doing something he didnt do and go live out his life on the wall and that stupid little boy goes and has him killed!  Plus you throw in the red wedding amongst other parts in the books.  With Martin, nobody is safe!  just as you start to like someone they die.

fforgnayr

I thought it interesting that you brought up Melanie Rawn.  That 3rd book has been waiting to come out for over 10 years now... I gave up all hope on it.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

She said she is still planning on writing it though.  She had a nervous or mental episode and took some time off.  She has published a book since but it would probably fit into the Paranomoral/Urban Fantasy realm.  So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

lordfeyr wrote:

I would say GRR Martin.... I mean can you imagine Ned meeting Martin? 

*Spoiler*

I mean here Ned goes and makes an agreement to admit to doing something he didnt do and go live out his life on the wall and that stupid little boy goes and has him killed!  Plus you throw in the red wedding amongst other parts in the books.  With Martin, nobody is safe!  just as you start to like someone they die.

fforgnayr

I thought it interesting that you brought up Melanie Rawn.  That 3rd book has been waiting to come out for over 10 years now... I gave up all hope on it.