Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

chrisanthropic wrote:

Hello everyone,

my name is Chris and I'm a fantasy/sci-fi/horror junkie.  I remember discovering Tokien and Norse mythology when I was 10, Clarke and Heinlin when I was 12, and Philip K. Dick and Lovecraft shortly thereafter.

Not surprisingly, I married an author.  I've since taken over the "business/non-writing" part of her endeavors and have recently created a website dedicated to free fantasy/sci-fi/horror books for nook (and other devices).

But honestly, I still prefer just reading a great story.

Welcome, Chris! Who is your wife? Maybe we have read her!  :smileyhappy:

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
New User
blade-inthe-snow
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm Ashley aka blade in the snow, and I'm a first year in college I found my way here from looking for books to put on my nook. I love so many different types of books and gernes. Currently I'm reading The Gone Away World.  Anything else feel free to ask

paulgoatallen

blade-inthe-snow wrote:

Hello,

I'm Ashley aka blade in the snow, and I'm a first year in college I found my way here from looking for books to put on my nook. I love so many different types of books and gernes. Currently I'm reading The Gone Away World.  Anything else feel free to ask

Welcome to the forums, Ashley – great avatar name, by the way! How are you liking The Gone Away World? I had such high expectations for that but was a little underwhelmed...

Happy holidays!

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Contributor
Ladyneat

Hi I am LadyNeat

I read everything but these genres are what I gravitate to the most.  Right now I am reading Inheritance.  I am looking forward to the Diana Gabaldon Outlander series being made into a TV Series by Starz.  I just finished watching BattleStar Galatica Blood and Chrome.  My nook wish list queue is at 40 books most of them Kristine Kathryn Rusch and Dave Duncan. I have lurked here now and then but I want to me more interactive with all of you. 

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Ladyneat wrote:

Hi I am LadyNeat

I read everything but these genres are what I gravitate to the most.  Right now I am reading Inheritance.  I am looking forward to the Diana Gabaldon Outlander series being made into a TV Series by Starz.  I just finished watching BattleStar Galatica Blood and Chrome.  My nook wish list queue is at 40 books most of them Kristine Kathryn Rusch and Dave Duncan. I have lurked here now and then but I want to me more interactive with all of you. 

Welcome Ladyneat!

It's great to have you interact more. :smileyhappy: We enjoy chatting away here.  Sounds like you have quiet a queue of books there to work at getting and reading. :smileyhappy: 

Look forward to chatting with you.

Melhay

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Reader 4
Arkayn
0 Kudos

Hello.  My name is Jim.  I am 42 years old and I enjoy reading fantasy.  I grew up in the 80's with all the Forgotten Realms novels.  I've read books from J.R.R. Tolkien, R.A. Salvatore, C.S. Lewis, Elaine Cunningham, Zilpha Keatley Snyder, and others.

My favorite authors would be Tolkien, and Salvatore, as I enjoy their works and can get engrossed in their books.  My favorite series next to LOTR, is the Green Sky Trilogy by Zilpha Keatley Snyder.  I used to play the Below the Root game on the Apple II computers when in high school.  Outside the the SF/Fantasy I've only read one book by John Grisham The Confession.  I thought it was a good book and it did keep my interest, even though it wasn't fantasy.

Anyway, looking forward to joining a good club and finding other books that I don't know about.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Arkayn wrote:

Hello.  My name is Jim.  I am 42 years old and I enjoy reading fantasy.  I grew up in the 80's with all the Forgotten Realms novels.  I've read books from J.R.R. Tolkien, R.A. Salvatore, C.S. Lewis, Elaine Cunningham, Zilpha Keatley Snyder, and others.

My favorite authors would be Tolkien, and Salvatore, as I enjoy their works and can get engrossed in their books.  My favorite series next to LOTR, is the Green Sky Trilogy by Zilpha Keatley Snyder.  I used to play the Below the Root game on the Apple II computers when in high school.  Outside the the SF/Fantasy I've only read one book by John Grisham The Confession.  I thought it was a good book and it did keep my interest, even though it wasn't fantasy.

Anyway, looking forward to joining a good club and finding other books that I don't know about.

Welcome Jim (Arkayn)

Glad to have a new fantasy lover with us here. :smileyhappy: Look forward to chatting with you here.

New User
JordanaBaker
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I am a fantasy writer, who has been working on my own stories for years but not really sure what to do with them since most of the people in my life aren't fantasy fans. It turns out there are a lot of us, and a fellow fan encouraged me to start putting my books out there, so here I am. :smileyhappy:

When I'm not writing stories, I do research work, copy writing and worked in the magazine business for a time. Outside of work, I love reading, mainly fantasy and some science fiction. I'm a big fan of SF television shows like Stargate SG1 and Atlantis, and the old episodes of Xena. I am still upset about Firefly and love both Star Wars and Star Trek equally. Babylon 5 has a special place in my heart. Thank you Netflix for making so many shows available. :womanvery-happy:  I haven't seen Game of Thrones yet, mostly because I have stopped watching television and am now writing full time, but I'm hoping to take a break to catch up on some reading and shows this summer and spend some more time gardening this year.

I'm looking forward to talking books and am always looking for new fantasy series' to read. In addition to the fantasy series I am currently putting out, I am also working on a new, modern fantasy series involving myths and legends, but I'll wait until that one is further along before announcing it. :womanwink:

I'm glad to join the B&N community. Much love to everyone!

:heart:

Writer, gardener, cook, and lover of life! :smileyhappy:
New User
ScribbleBB

Hi, my name is Bridgette Burbank and I love to read fantasy books.  I am in the process of writing my first book and am thoroughly enjoying it.  I have three little boys ages 8, 6, and 2.  I am especially interested in books for young boys that are reluctant readers.  My oldest is dyslexic and hates to read but I read aloud to him and he loves that.  We have read all the Percy Jackson books written so far.  I also read Summer of the Monkeys.  We are reading The Colossus Rises by Peter Lerangis right now.

New User
ScribbleBB
0 Kudos

Nice to meet you Jordana!  I like to write too.  I'm working on my first book.

Bibliophile
Melhay

ScribbleBB wrote:

Hi, my name is Bridgette Burbank and I love to read fantasy books.  I am in the process of writing my first book and am thoroughly enjoying it.  I have three little boys ages 8, 6, and 2.  I am especially interested in books for young boys that are reluctant readers.  My oldest is dyslexic and hates to read but I read aloud to him and he loves that.  We have read all the Percy Jackson books written so far.  I also read Summer of the Monkeys.  We are reading The Colossus Rises by Peter Lerangis right now.

Hi ScribbleBB,

Welcome.  And always thrilled to have a new fantasy lover with us. :smileyhappy:  My son is 13 and have found he has many other things to do besides reading.  But for school they are to read and test for books.  I have a few books he's enjoyed (difficult to find for) at this age.  And he loves his zombies. (Palm head) lol.

Welcome!

New User
kcbouma
0 Kudos

Hello, My name is KC,

What I love more than reading fantasy, is writing fantasy. 

Reader 2
Harv_Rickman
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Richard Buro. I have loved science fiction for a half century, growing up with Heinlein, Wells, Verne, and E. E. "Doc" Smith. I have grown to love the Herberts, Kevin J. Anderson, Orson Scott Card, Asimov, Niven, Pournelle, and many others. My avocational interests include aviation, meteorology, and technology. A 35 year public school educator, I am retired now enjoying this time with my family and our rescued pets.
Richard Buro, M.S.Ed.
Retired public educator
Frequent Contributor
WONK
0 Kudos

Hi Harv

Finally someone who lists EE Doc Smith near the top of any SF list.  I try to write in a way to pay homage to his style but it seems I just miss.  I've been told some of my writing match the orginal Buck Rodgers stories and even my original tales are linked clsoer to Poul Anderson more than Smith.

Runo singer and curmudgeon
Sirvio's Keep
www.paulbunyan.net/users/gsirvio
Keep's Books and Tales
www.paulbunyan.net/users/gsirvio/content.html
Book reviews
www.paulbunyan.net/users/gsirvio/reviews.html
Gorden's bookshelf
www.midwestbookreview.com
Taconite Runes
http://TaconiteRunes.com
Pulp Writing
http://forums.delphiforums.com/pulpwriting/messages
Contributor
Compiux

My name is Ivan and I am from Honduras.

There is no Barnes & Noble library here but I decided to buy a nook anyways and while I have had it for only 2 days, I am quite pleased with my purchase n___n

I am 33 (almost 34) and I started reading just a couple of years ago when I decided to buy a Warhammer 40k omnibus named "Let the galaxy burn". I was hooked. I started by buying WH40k books only, but soon I started to look at the fantasy genere and I placed my dirty claws... I mean, my hands on the Death Dealer saga. Then I bought the Del Rey published Conan books (from which I have yet to read 2) and also the Dwarfs (Warhammer fantasy) omnibus.

I am a slow reader so half of my physical library is still unread, but I am working on it :smileyhappy:

At first, I did not wanted to buy an eReader. I love holding a book on my hands and turning the pages n__n the smell of books and seeing how my bookshelf is being filled up... but taxes and shipping costs have raised in my country and now I'm paying between 25$ to 35$ per book (books that you buy at 7$ - 15$) and the libraries here do not have the books I want... so, I bought a nook

I am still going to buy paperback books (in bulk and shipped by boat since it is less expensive) but now I am free to buy digital books thanx to my nook simple touch :smileyvery-happy:

Oh... and hello to all of you :smileyhappy:

I am the Kwisatz Harderach... Well, at least that's what my business card says.
Reader 2
BrianKGlass

Greetings, my name is Brian and I've been reading fantasy and science fiction for about 40 years or so.  I imagine I started out like most people here.  I loved the Star Trek shows and Godzilla movies.  Somehow that translated to Robert E. Howard, Edgar Rice Borroughs, Robert Heinlein and Arthur C. Clarke.  Some of my favorite books were The Sword of Shannara and Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes along with Starship Troopers and the old Doc Savage pulps.  I read Starlog magazine and every comic book I could get my hands on.  As I got older I would like to say my taste and sophistication has matured but that isn't the case.  I still love the simple stories.  Since I've bought my Nook a few years ago I've used that as an opportunity to go back and read all of my old favorites.  I'm also using it to expand my library some.  I used to like Harry Turtledove's alternate history stories so I'm going to give Robert Conroy's 1920: America's Great War a go.  And as hard as it is to believe, I just read The Lord Of The Rings for the first time a few weeks ago.  It is incredible.

Beside sf and fantasy I love history, historic fiction (especially Vikings and Romans), action thrillers and crime novels in the Elmore Leonard vein.  Honestly I'll read a cereal box if nothing else is handy.  As much as I love to read other genres however, the books that have left the most lasting impression are the science fiction and fantasy stories.  I still remember reading Neuromancer for the first time.  Or reading Alan Dean Foster's adaptation of the movie Alien laying in the sun in our backyard during summer break when I was 14.  Books.  You can't beat 'em.

Bibliophile
Melhay

BrianKGlass wrote:

Greetings, my name is Brian and I've been reading fantasy and science fiction for about 40 years or so.  I imagine I started out like most people here.  I loved the Star Trek shows and Godzilla movies.  Somehow that translated to Robert E. Howard, Edgar Rice Borroughs, Robert Heinlein and Arthur C. Clarke.  Some of my favorite books were The Sword of Shannara and Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes along with Starship Troopers and the old Doc Savage pulps.  I read Starlog magazine and every comic book I could get my hands on.  As I got older I would like to say my taste and sophistication has matured but that isn't the case.  I still love the simple stories.  Since I've bought my Nook a few years ago I've used that as an opportunity to go back and read all of my old favorites.  I'm also using it to expand my library some.  I used to like Harry Turtledove's alternate history stories so I'm going to give Robert Conroy's 1920: America's Great War a go.  And as hard as it is to believe, I just read The Lord Of The Rings for the first time a few weeks ago.  It is incredible.

Beside sf and fantasy I love history, historic fiction (especially Vikings and Romans), action thrillers and crime novels in the Elmore Leonard vein.  Honestly I'll read a cereal box if nothing else is handy.  As much as I love to read other genres however, the books that have left the most lasting impression are the science fiction and fantasy stories.  I still remember reading Neuromancer for the first time.  Or reading Alan Dean Foster's adaptation of the movie Alien laying in the sun in our backyard during summer break when I was 14.  Books.  You can't beat 'em.

Welcome Brian!

Glad to have a new addition to the forums. Sounds like you are in good company. Hope you find many great new reads here with Paul guiding us along. :smileyhappy:

Welcome!