Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
genkisama
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Hi my name is Edgar and I'm 22 years old.  Can't say I'm a big reader like most people on here, but I do read.  The only catch is that the book has to catch my attention.  I always have trouble finding books I like.  I'm always on the look out for paranormal books, which are some of my favorite books.  Choose your own adventure books are also some of my favorites when I was younger.  I truly believe that fantasy books are the only reason I kept reading when I was younger.  I also like to write scary stories on my free time, but sadly my grammar is not very good.  I share them on this website http://www.freewebs.com/shadowood/ with friends.  I would like to thank Paul Goat Allen for making this thread.  Well I guess that is all for now.  If anyone has any questions feel free to ask away.

"I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy every minute of it"

Contributor
genkisama
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

avidreader2 wrote:

Hello!

I've been here for a little while...well compared to most people on this site I'm fresh meat, but whatever.

I am a student who is greatly interested in becoming an artist, zoologist, or writer... I haven't really decided yet. I love to read, but it hasn't always been that way. I did not have a good reading teacher when I was young, so I had a very hard time reading. My mother saw me struggling, and for this reason and some others, she pulled me out of school and began homeschooling both me and my brother. She promptly began re-teaching me to read. I tried, but I just wasn't interested. Then she began reading the Chronicles of Narnia to me before I went to bed every night. I loved them. I wanted to read them for myself... and I did. This gave me the push I needed to start reading for myself.

and now I can honestly say I read more that I sleep! I love all things fantacy because it gives my imagination nutrients it needs. 

there's my story... I kind of rambled but there you go.:smileytongue:

Have you seen the Narnia movies
Message Edited by genkisama on 10-28-2008 04:14 AM
Contributor
genkisama
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nadine wrote:
I see there are a lot of people on this board who have had or are giving their kids home schooling. It is a sad statement of our school system that it is necessary but in some ways I think it is better. The curriculum is then structured more toward your own personal interests rather than having to be force-fed what some committee thinks you should learn.
It is interesting that you learned to read using Narnia. I'm using the series right now to learn to read and understand Spanish. It is perfect -- challenging enough but not too much so, an interesting story with lots of variation in vocabulary and grammar. All the books have been translated into Spanish and there are audios in Spanish as well, though only the first book audio (Lion, Witch and Wardrobe) follows the Spanish version in a word for word translation. I first read the English while listening, and then follow the audio with the Spanish translation (kind of like subtitles but better), and eventually hope to go solo. The movie is also dubbed in Spanish and I can use the English sutitles to start, though I find the captions for the deaf better and more complete and I can toggle them off and on while I'm watching the movie. It also has Spanish subtitles I can run with the dubbed Spanish but they don't match the spoken Spanish.

Any particular reason you are trying to learn spanish?  I'm intrigued by languages and like to learn them.  Although I am not fluent in any of the foreign languages I have learned at school.  I try to practice but it is hard finding people who speak the languages and who are committed to taking the time to have conversations with a noob lol.
Message Edited by genkisama on 10-28-2008 04:15 AM
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

genkisama wrote:

Any particular reason you are trying to learn spanish?  I'm intrigued by languages and like to learn them.  Although I am not fluent in any of the foreign languages I have learned at school.  I try to practice but it is hard finding people who speak the languages and who are committed to taking the time to have conversations with a noob lol.
Message Edited by genkisama on 10-28-2008 04:15 AM

Yes, I live in Southern Califonia. Spanish is becoming a dominant language and some of my neighbors don't speak English. I decided to learn Spanish when my plomero didn't speak English and I needed to get a bilingual neighbor to explain my plumbing problem. It was also getting to be tedious to go to a party and the bilingual folks having to constantly translate for me what people were talking about. Once I know enough, I should have no trouble finding people to talk to.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

AGN

I was just curious what kind of dogs you are obsessed by.  Myself I love Irish Wolfhounds and Bull Mastiffs.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
AGN
Contributor
AGN
0 Kudos

Both are beautiful breeds.  I consider myself a big dog person most of the time, but the papillon has truly stolen my heart.  I am also very intrigued by the doberman and think this will probably be my next big dog.  Overall I am attracted to athletic and intelligent/trainable breeds.  Right now I have a papillon and a golden.  If you get me started on dogs I will never stop talking!

Frequent Contributor
WaterLily
0 Kudos

Thats awesome.  I work at a dog grooming shop.  I got the job from my aunt.  But yeah I do all of the bathing answering phones and cleaning.  Its fun though I have learned so much just the last 6 months I have worked there. My boss used to be  a  professional handler.  She breeds English setters and the other lady i work with breeds and shows Portuguese water dogs.
"In the end family is all that we have"
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I have always prefered large breeds myself, hence the Irish Wolfhound and Bull Mastiff.  I really want a Irish Wolfhound now but I live in a apartment so it would not make a lot of sense.  My favortie dog though growing up was Sandy, a American Pitbull.  I had her all through high school and was the first dog that was more mine than the family dog.  When I move out of state for college my mom called me a week later and told me that she wasn't eating that much, was moping around, and would only go to sleep in my bed.  She eventually got over it like all dogs do and became more the family dog.
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Contributor
genkisama
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

Yes, I live in Southern Califonia. Spanish is becoming a dominant language and some of my neighbors don't speak English. I decided to learn Spanish when my plomero didn't speak English and I needed to get a bilingual neighbor to explain my plumbing problem. It was also getting to be tedious to go to a party and the bilingual folks having to constantly translate for me what people were talking about. Once I know enough, I should have no trouble finding people to talk to.

Well I would offer a helping hand but I'm not that good at spelling.  I can speak Spanish well but sadly can't spell very well.  I've encountered that same problem with French and Japanese.  Although I would take Spanish any day over French.  I like French but it is so hard to spell things because of their silent vowels and consonant.  Espero que puedas hablar Español muy pronto y buena suerte.

Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

fforgnayr wrote:

AGN

I was just curious what kind of dogs you are obsessed by.  Myself I love Irish Wolfhounds and Bull Mastiffs.

Used to have a Newfoundland. LOVED that dog! My wife and I are fans of the giant breeds also, but live in a condo, so it's tough to justify. That Newf was big even for a them. Sweetest dog ever, but ya gotta be willing to deal with the drool.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

avidreader2 wrote:

Hello!

I've been here for a little while...well compared to most people on this site I'm fresh meat, but whatever.

I am a student who is greatly interested in becoming an artist, zoologist, or writer... I haven't really decided yet. I love to read, but it hasn't always been that way. I did not have a good reading teacher when I was young, so I had a very hard time reading. My mother saw me struggling, and for this reason and some others, she pulled me out of school and began homeschooling both me and my brother. She promptly began re-teaching me to read. I tried, but I just wasn't interested. Then she began reading the Chronicles of Narnia to me before I went to bed every night. I loved them. I wanted to read them for myself... and I did. This gave me the push I needed to start reading for myself.

and now I can honestly say I read more that I sleep! I love all things fantacy because it gives my imagination nutrients it needs. 

Have you seen the Narnia movies

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes I have, and I liked them. They had to take alot of liberties in Prince Caspian to make it make sense, but they were good. It's cool to see your favorite books made into motion pictures. They picked to PERFECT children to play as the Pevencies. 

"When camping in Canada, do not wear fruity chapstick... you might get mauled by grizzly bears."
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

avidreader2 wrote:

avidreader2 wrote:

Hello!

Have you seen the Narnia movies

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes I have, and I liked them. They had to take alot of liberties in Prince Caspian to make it make sense, but they were good. It's cool to see your favorite books made into motion pictures. They picked to PERFECT children to play as the Pevencies. 

The BBC versions, which were so good Hoolywood desided to cash in. Are worth checking out.

Frequent Contributor
Lilo02
0 Kudos

Hello! My name is Olga Valentinovna Levin, I was born in Riga, Latvia (yes that's in the Baltics of NE Europe.) I speak both Russian and English fluently no Latvian saddly :*( I've been living here in the States for 18 years now and pretty much grew up here in the U.S. and am loveing every single day of it here!

The main reason why I joined the SciFi/Fantasy group, and the whole BN.com community in general is because I work for Barnes & Noble here in Seattle, WA and am not only interested in new categories to read out from like SciFi/Fantasy (which my knowledge of this one is very small) for my own particular interest but to also recommend really good books to customers from all categories. Otherwise I'm a huge Biography and History reader and I just want to know whats out there, and what I'm really missing out on. I have been working at Barnes & Noble for a little over a year now and I'm loveing every moment of it. The best thing about working in this bookstore is the customer service we provide here, the team of both workers and managers that I'am apart of who really motivate me to a level where customers appreciate the service that is provided to them. It makes my day knowing and seeing someone happy just because you helped them and it even makes MORE of my day when I get to help a customer who only speaks my language as well.  So yeah I'm really enjoying every moment of it!

On the other hand besides speaking 2 languages fluently and the love for reading I love to write as well (poetry and songs that is.) I must admit that I haven't started on combining my entire folder of stuff into a book yet. There's a lot of things that I need to learn about writing and publishing but before I get to that point I'm just taking the time to put my vision for this collection beginning w/ the small things (cover design is one that i'm focusing on right now as an example.) I also play 2 instruments both accoustic guitar and piano. I have a strong passion for music and hope to some day get my talents out there into the world. In fact most of the current songs I have of my own are ideas from some of my poetry. Otherwise I think thats it for now.

"If it doesn't collect snow, or has not recently erupted, IT'S NOT A REAL MOUNTAIN!"
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Lilo02 wrote:

Hello! My name is Olga Valentinovna Levin, I was born in Riga, Latvia (yes that's in the Baltics of NE Europe.) I speak both Russian and English fluently no Latvian saddly :*( I've been living here in the States for 18 years now and pretty much grew up here in the U.S. and am loveing every single day of it here!

The main reason why I joined the SciFi/Fantasy group, and the whole BN.com community in general is because I work for Barnes & Noble here in Seattle, WA and am not only interested in new categories to read out from like SciFi/Fantasy (which my knowledge of this one is very small) for my own particular interest but to also recommend really good books to customers from all categories. Otherwise I'm a huge Biography and History reader and I just want to know whats out there, and what I'm really missing out on. I have been working at Barnes & Noble for a little over a year now and I'm loveing every moment of it. The best thing about working in this bookstore is the customer service we provide here, the team of both workers and managers that I'am apart of who really motivate me to a level where customers appreciate the service that is provided to them. It makes my day knowing and seeing someone happy just because you helped them and it even makes MORE of my day when I get to help a customer who only speaks my language as well.  So yeah I'm really enjoying every moment of it!

On the other hand besides speaking 2 languages fluently and the love for reading I love to write as well (poetry and songs that is.) I must admit that I haven't started on combining my entire folder of stuff into a book yet. There's a lot of things that I need to learn about writing and publishing but before I get to that point I'm just taking the time to put my vision for this collection beginning w/ the small things (cover design is one that i'm focusing on right now as an example.) I also play 2 instruments both accoustic guitar and piano. I have a strong passion for music and hope to some day get my talents out there into the world. In fact most of the current songs I have of my own are ideas from some of my poetry. Otherwise I think thats it for now.

Welcome Olga! Working at the Seattle B&N must be great – that's the new hotbed for paranormal fantasy authors – Cherie Priest, Caitlin Kittredge, Kat Richardson, Mark Henry, Richelle Mead, etc. Have you done many book signings with these authors?

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
Lilo02
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Welcome Olga! Working at the Seattle B&N must be great – that's the new hotbed for paranormal fantasy authors – Cherie Priest, Caitlin Kittredge, Kat Richardson, Mark Henry, Richelle Mead, etc. Have you done many book signings with these authors?

Paul 

The specific area where I work in, Northgate Mall Seattle, WA is very new to haveing a Barne's & Noble Booksellers around. So even though we are a year old now we are still learning about what the Northgate area likes to read. We mostly have a lot of fiction, historical fiction, and current affairs type of clientell. We havent had a whole lot of book signings w/ popular writers, in fact our first big time author was just a month ago and that was the guy who wrote Fablehaven, so he was our first breakthrough as far as being a popular childrens book writer. Other than that our store has so far seen a lot of local writers some of those who write books on Washington history. We're getting there though.

However about the paranormal fantasy author book signings I'm sure the Barnes & Noble in the University area (which is not too far from our store here.) is able to hold stuff like that. But you are right Seattle is a hotbed for paranormal scifi and just scifi/fant even graphic novels in general. My store does attract A LOT of Manga readers as well.

"If it doesn't collect snow, or has not recently erupted, IT'S NOT A REAL MOUNTAIN!"
Frequent Contributor
Vinternatt
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm Vinternatt(winternight in Norwegian) and I'm a Norwegian teenager. So please excuse all language mistakes, I'll do my best to avoid them. I read just about anything I can get my hands on, but have the last couple of years read mostly fantasy. I've been reading fantasy since 2nd or 3rd grade and started either with Brian Jaques' Redwall series or Bruce Coville's Into the land of the unicorns(which is the only book I've actually read in that series) I read the fantasy I can find (which in my little town is depressingly little), preferably in English. I don't have a favorite author, and if I were to list all the authors I like I would be sitting here forever. As for book series, I can mention Vampirates, Septimus Heap, the Inheritance Cycle, Phenomena(norwegian), the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, the Deeds of Paksenarrion, the Lies of Locke Lamora(although I've only read book 1), the Bartimaeus trilogy, Narnia, etc.

"Since when have fish been able to plan?" "Since they started sinking boats" - The Swarm
Contributor
Kelly3
0 Kudos

Hello all, I'm slowly venturing into the SF genre though I have read a few series that have come to be some of my fave books. Anne Bishop and Laurell K Hamilton are two that i love to read and re-read. I just would like to know another series that I can delve into, I like the fantasy but nothing so far fetched I guess, if that even makes sense. I've wanted to read RA Salvatore and some other well known authors that have a good size series, but I just never know where to begin!! I've read LOTR and even took a class on it in college which I found utterly fasinating. Can anyone help me?!
New User
BellaBelle
0 Kudos

Hi I am Bella Belle! I absolutely love readingI have just recently found myself wandering over to the SF shelves at bookstores, but now I'm hookedMy first love was Historical FictionI also greatly enjoy Christian Romances by authors such as Jeanette OkeBack to SF....I was first compelled to to look into SF after having watched the new series True BloodI was really impressed with it and when I found out it was based on a book I couldn't help myselfI only have one book in Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series left to read and I read the others in just one weekThe last one I have on order!!! I have just ordered Twilight as wellVampires seem to be a great intrest to meOf course if any of you have suggestions as to what other books I should be reading then please please please let me know!
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Kelly,

Welcome and if you want to read R.A. Salvatore's books a good place to start is with the first three Drizzit books.  They are Homeland, Exile, and Sojourn.  Another good series that I think you would enjoy is Robin Hobbs books Assassin Aprentice, Royal Assassin, and Assassin Quest.  And next month we will be discussing Orson Scott Card's Ender IN Exile but if you haven't read Ender's Game I would read that before the new one comes out since the new book takes place directly after Ender's Game.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Contributor
Heroatheart
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Greetings,

Hello. My name is Brandon. I am a full-time mental health counselor. I work with all populations. 33 years old. Enjoy all things, but mostly my family. I have three kids (two girls and a boy). I have been loving books since I first picked up "The Hobbit" in sixth grade. I constantly, use books in therapy... especially, with teens and young adults. I can't tell you how many times I have given out my copies of "Ender's game."

I'm new to the forums, but I plan to be a frequent flyer. I am what you call a picky reader and I have a very hard time getting good suggestions for books to grab. So, far my needs are getting met and I'm loving it. Thank you guys for all the suggestions on the forums. I'm getting a lot of ideas for books to grab.

B

Message Edited by Heroatheart on 11-10-2008 04:12 PM