Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

paulgoatallen wrote:

Glad to have you, Jilseponie. Yes, Asimov's is still being publishedhttp://www.asimovs.com/Asimov's and other mags are something that initially got me interested in the genre as well. When I was a kid, my dad would read Omni and, man, that magazine was awesome! Does anyone remember Omni?

Paul

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 11-22-2008 10:26 PM

Remember, yes. Even the sad day the remainder of my subscription got returned to me when it closed up shop. Discovery is for kids, National Geographic good but not the same as it used to, Smithsonian more than a little dry, Scientific American too technical for enjoyment, and none of them ever had the wonderful balance Omni did.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

My sympathy, Paul. I was also one of those who was crushed to receive a refund on my Omni subscription.  You're right on about the balance. There's nothing around today to match it.

I just accepted a trade on my Swaptree account for The Name of the Wind. I'm looking forward to starting it. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

There are more of us than you think.
Frequent Contributor
Jilseponie
0 Kudos

Oohh, what's Swaptree?  I haven't heard of that one.  I thought about joining Bookswim, but I can't do that until cooler weather in AZ.  Imagine all those books sitting in a 120 degree metal box!
" 'Get to know yourself' - what good is that? What if you get to know yourself and find out you're a total harpy?" - the Warrior Babe of the Outland from 'The Stupidest Angel'
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

pagemaven wrote:

I just accepted a trade on my Swaptree account for The Name of the Wind. I'm looking forward to starting it. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Pagemaven:

Ohhh.... get ready for a fantastic read! I read literally mountains of genre fiction every year and very few books blow me away like the Rothfuss debut did. You are going to love it (hopefully!)!

Happy turkey day to you and everyone else here. Remember when eating massive amounts of turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, etc. it is socially acceptable to unbutton your pants (at least in my family).

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Jilseponie wrote:
Oohh, what's Swaptree?  I haven't heard of that one.  I thought about joining Bookswim, but I can't do that until cooler weather in AZ.  Imagine all those books sitting in a 120 degree metal box!

www.swaptree.com

It's a trading site for books, movies, and such. You list thing you want, things you want to trade (if it has a ups code), the site then finds people for you that have what you want and want what you have, you agree to a swap, both parties pay postage. No fee, simple. Check it out.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

Pants?????
Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

Hi, and welcome. Swaptree is cool, but don't list anything to trade that is really valuable or dear to you - every once in a while you get some cloaca  (is that an acceptable substitute for the word I want to use?) who will not mail in the trade they are supposed to, and there is really not anything you can do about it. I've had only one of those in 25 trades, so it works most of the time.. It just costs postage, and you only get what you're interested in. (I had listed an unrated, uncut copy of Caligula on DVD and I had like 20,000 offers of stuff to trade. I had to take it off my list. I was overwhelmed.) Now, what is Bookswim, and why does the heat matter? We go to Tucson in the winter, we really love it there.
Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

pagemaven wrote:

Pagemaven:

Ohhh.... get ready for a fantastic read! I read literally mountains of genre fiction every year and very few books blow me away like the Rothfuss debut did. You are going to love it (hopefully!)!

Happy turkey day to you and everyone else here. Remember when eating massive amounts of turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, etc. it is socially acceptable to unbutton your pants (at least in my family).

Paul 

The Name of the Wind completely surprised me. It was ssssooooooo good. It not like ANYTHING I have ever read. I'm going to Australia in June (and 18 hour flight, help me God) and the second part to the series is supposed to come out in April, so I'm planning to save the second book for the flight... but I'm not so sure I'll be able to restrain form reading it for a whole 2 months.....

just be prepared to be blown away by the story line of this book. It made me cry, laugh, and wonder what will happen next through out the entire book.

(Thank you a million, Paul, for requesting this book! I am forever in your debt!) 

"When camping in Canada, do not wear fruity chapstick... you might get mauled by grizzly bears."
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

avidreader2 wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

pagemaven wrote:

Pagemaven:

Paul 

The Name of the Wind completely surprised me. It was ssssooooooo good. It not like ANYTHING I have ever read. I'm going to Australia in June (and 18 hour flight, help me God) and the second part to the series is supposed to come out in April, so I'm planning to save the second book for the flight... but I'm not so sure I'll be able to restrain form reading it for a whole 2 months.....

just be prepared to be blown away by the story line of this book. It made me cry, laugh, and wonder what will happen next through out the entire book.

(Thank you a million, Paul, for requesting this book! I am forever in your debt!) 

Why didn't any of you guys listen to me months ago? When I say a book is Awsome it IS.

Everyone else,  you're falling behind and missing out on the best piece of high fantasy that came out this decade.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

pagemaven wrote:
Pants?????

Yes, pants. I know it sounds crazy but every T-giving my family goes over to my wife's parents' house and, well, they're Italian, there are usually around 20 people there, and the eating lasts all day. It comes in seemingly endless waves of greens and seafood and spaghetti and turkey... By the late afternoon rolls around, there isn't one person in the house who hasn't had to unbutton their pants!  Maybe this year to make things easier – and less painful – I'll just wear a dress...

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

pagemaven wrote:
Pants?????

Yes, pants. I know it sounds crazy but every T-giving my family goes over to my wife's parents' house and, well, they're Italian, there are usually around 20 people there, and the eating lasts all day. It comes in seemingly endless waves of greens and seafood and spaghetti and turkey... By the late afternoon rolls around, there isn't one person in the house who hasn't had to unbutton their pants!  Maybe this year to make things easier – and less painful – I'll just wear a dress...

Paul 

Elastic waistbands, pants with drawstrings. Wear loose pants to start with.

Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

avidreader2 wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

pagemaven wrote:

Pagemaven:

Paul 

Why didn't any of you guys listen to me months ago? When I say a book is Awsome it IS.

Everyone else,  you're falling behind and missing out on the best piece of high fantasy that came out this decade.

When and where did you mention it...? I might not have been a part of the Book Clubs yet, or I might not have looked in the thread you posted in... if I would have seen it, I would have listened!!! :smileyhappy:

"When camping in Canada, do not wear fruity chapstick... you might get mauled by grizzly bears."
Contributor
KomodoDragon
0 Kudos

Hello to all, I've had some trouble posting so I apologize if I did not do so correctly.  I'm new to using the internet as commnuity networking tool but my desire to communicate with others who love reading have led to me going to this site.

I love the written word and Sci-Fi is amongst my favorite genre.  I attempted writing as well and even had a play published while I was in college at New Mexico State.  I can't sign on as much these days do to work, but I'd love to chime in when I can and may make comments on old discussions.

New User
jcdugayo07
0 Kudos

:manvery-happy::robotvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

Hi I'm Mr. Jesus Christopher A. Dugayo of the beautiful country of Philippines the home country of Manny Paquiao. I'm new here. Want to have many friends here. My e-mail add is alochris07@gmail.com. My mobile number is: 09077181479.

Busby Seo Test

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

avidreader2 wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

avidreader2 wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

pagemaven wrote:

Pagemaven:

Paul 

When and where did you mention it...? I might not have been a part of the Book Clubs yet, or I might not have looked in the thread you posted in... if I would have seen it, I would have listened!!! :smileyhappy:

Well the first time, I gave it a thread of it own. I was hoping to get some discussion going. But so few bites at the time.  Check it's probably 4 pages back by now. I'll give it a bump.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pagemaven
0 Kudos

Paul -

I know what you mean about the Italians - my daughter in law & family are Italian and baked ziti is now a must at the Christmas table, as are cannoli (not a bad thing at all.)

Frequent Contributor
Jilseponie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

pagemaven wrote:
Hi, and welcome. Swaptree is cool, but don't list anything to trade that is really valuable or dear to you - every once in a while you get some cloaca  (is that an acceptable substitute for the word I want to use?) who will not mail in the trade they are supposed to, and there is really not anything you can do about it. I've had only one of those in 25 trades, so it works most of the time.. It just costs postage, and you only get what you're interested in. (I had listed an unrated, uncut copy of Caligula on DVD and I had like 20,000 offers of stuff to trade. I had to take it off my list. I was overwhelmed.) Now, what is Bookswim, and why does the heat matter? We go to Tucson in the winter, we really love it there.

I'm definitely going to check out Swaptree!

Bookswim is like Netflix for books.  You pay a monthly fee & can have 3 or 4 or more books at a time.  If they send you three, once you're done with the first 2, you send them back postage paid and they'll send you the next 2 on your list.  I think you also have the option of, if you really like a book, you can just buy it and not return it.  They seem to have a really good selection and I read like a total fiend.  The heat issue is that I live in the Valley of the Sun and in the middle of summer it easily gets to 115 outside.  I'm guessing you've never left a book in your car in those temperatures.  They'll either warp or the binding glue basically melts and the whole cover falls off. :smileysad:  So I don't want to end up buying every book I get from bookswim because they got destroyed in my mailbox. 

Message Edited by Jilseponie on 11-27-2008 01:21 PM
" 'Get to know yourself' - what good is that? What if you get to know yourself and find out you're a total harpy?" - the Warrior Babe of the Outland from 'The Stupidest Angel'
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Jilseponie wrote:

pagemaven wrote:

I'm definitely going to check out Swaptree!

Bookswim is like Netflix for books.  You pay a monthly fee & can have 3 or 4 or more books at a time.  If they send you three, once you're done with the first 2, you send them back postage paid and they'll send you the next 2 on your list.  I think you also have the option of, if you really like a book, you can just buy it and not return it.  They seem to have a really good selection and I read like a total fiend.  The heat issue is that I live in the Valley of the Sun and in the middle of summer it easily gets to 115 outside.  I'm guessing you've never left a book in your car in those temperatures.  They'll either warp or the binding glue basically melts and the whole cover falls off. :smileysad:  So I don't want to end up buying every book I get from bookswim because they got destroyed in my mailbox. 

Message Edited by Jilseponie on 11-27-2008 01:21 PM

I hard to make a deal with my postal carrier after my netflix DVD's kept melting. Movie stack get brought up to the shady portch, I won't notice when they get prewatched before delivery.

Hmm have you tried painting you mail box with sunreflective paint? It'll lower the boxes inner tempreture.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

The Name of the Wind

[ Edited ]

Hey everyone. I hope you all had wonderful Thanksgivings! Mine just officially ended – it's a three-day event with lots of family from out-of-town coming in and staying for the weekend... It was great but I'm glad it's over.

Getting back to The Name of the Wind, yes, Tig did bring it up months ago – I remember last fall for some reason – and there were a bunch of people, myself included, that raved about it. But for some reason, the "mainstream" fantasy readers didn't jump all over it. I think by now, it's not really a secret anymore but, yes, we've been raving about this one for a while.

For those newcomers here, if you want to read what is arguably the BEST fantasy debut to be released in the last decade, please read The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. My B&N review below will give you a more detailed glimpse into what the story is about...

Paul

The Barnes & Noble Review
The debut novel from Patrick Rothfuss (the first installment of an epic fantasy trilogy entitled the Kingkiller Chronicle) not only lives up to its extraordinary pre-press hype – DAW president Elizabeth Wollheim called it "the most brilliant first fantasy novel I have read in over 30 years as an editor" – it surpasses it. When fantasy fans begin reading The Name of the Wind, they should be fully prepared to lose all contact with the outside world while immersed in this highly original and mesmerizing tale of magic, love, and adventure.

The story revolves around Kvothe, an enigmatic red-haired innkeeper who, as he shares his incredible life story with a renowned scribe, turns out to be much more than he appears. Born into a family of nomadic court performers, Kvothe's unconventional education was broadened by spending time with fellow travelers like Abenthy, an elderly arcanist whose knowledge included, among other things, knowing the name of the wind. After his parents are brutally murdered by mythical beings known as the Chandrian, Kvothe vows to learn more about the godlike group, and after suffering through years of homelessness, he finally gets his chance when he is admitted into the prestigious University. But the pursuit of arcane knowledge brings with it unforeseen dangers, as the young student quickly learns�

With the release of his first novel, Rothfuss (who has already been compared to the likes of Terry Goodkind, Robert Jordan, and George R. R. Martin) is poised to be crowned the new king of epic fantasy. The Name of the Wind won't just impress longtime fantasy fans; it will absolutely blow them away -- an unprecedented, utterly breathtaking storytelling tour de force. Paul Goat Allen

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 11-29-2008 09:49 PM
Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic
0 Kudos

Re: The Name of the Wind

Hear, hear!